Contribute
Register
Look at this guys! https://github.com/osy86/ThunderboltPatcher
This great guy made a Thunderbolt firmware patcher for NUC for fully native Thunderbolt.
Well, if it can be done for NUC it's just a matter of time until someone makes a patcher for ASUS and Gygabyte cards... Right?

I tried sending this here myself but got flagged. Go to the authors GitHub page as well and check out his TB3onPCH.asl files.

He's got one that works on a warm boot and has quite a few devices in it that we don't have, and another that is called up by the original in the case of a cold boot to force power on. Super cool. No idea how to adapt it though.

I looked at those files I am guessing you would just have to change RP05 to where ever your TB card is located mine is located at RP21, I will try to mess around with the SSDT files later today.

I looked at those files I am guessing you would just have to change RP05 to where ever your TB card is located mine is located at RP21, I will try to mess around with the SSDT files later today.

I've done that but still no dice.

For my own pet project I've got the firmware update for my card and also the firmware update from the Mojave installer. I'm looking at them both in Hex Fiend but I don't have a clue what to do from here.

I've got the Intel Thunderbolt FW updater for Windows as well. Im just wondering if patching the Asus FW Update and using Osy86's thunderbolt.kext for disabling ICM is a feasible route. I noticed Osy86 was unable to update the FW from the updater so he went to that TI device. I'm hoping that's not necessary.

Anybody here ever done some...patch'n?

Look at this guys! https://github.com/osy86/ThunderboltPatcher
This great guy made a Thunderbolt firmware patcher for NUC for fully native Thunderbolt.
Well, if it can be done for NUC it's just a matter of time until someone makes a patcher for ASUS and Gygabyte cards... Right?

I believe, and could be wrong, the patcher is how you load the firmware onto the TI device to flash the firmware. Otherwise, my god, that would be so sick.

I believe, and could be wrong, the patcher is how you load the firmware onto the TI device to flash the firmware. Otherwise, my god, that would be so sick.
As far as I can tell the TI device does the patching...

I guess we would have to find the closest firmware from the installer to our asus cards in order to be able to patch it. Otherwise we could brick it for good. There are more than one versions of firmware as I understand...

@Oggy attached is the iMac19,2 TB firmware from the installer and the Asus EX3 firmware for your tinkering.

I noticed recently that the Asus firmware updater is sort of hard to sort out. It looks for a specific file "chip1_fw.dat" or something like that in it's folder and though it's there it still fails. It has a slot to choose a .bin file but I can't put anything there. It's a little tricky.

I also have the Intel Firmware Updater for NUC which lets you choose whichever firmware you want.

Attachments

• Firmware.zip
    412.1 KB · Views: 104
Thanks, but we need someone much more competent than me. I guess we can’t use any firmware. It must be the firmware for a mac that has the closest TB controller chip to the asus tb controller chip. Otherwise it will never work. Our ”new hero” was comparing the chip from macbook to the NUC and took the closest possible firmware... You think TB chip iMac in 19,2 is close to asus tb ex3 chip?
Or do you think it’s just SMBIOS dependant?

Last edited:
Thanks, but we need someone much more competent than me. I guess we can’t use any firmware. It must be the firmware for a mac that has the closest TB controller chip to the asus tb controller chip. Otherwise it will never work. Our ”new hero” was comparing the chip from macbook to the NUC and took the closest possible firmware... You think TB chip iMac in 19,2 is close to asus tb ex3 chip?
Or do you think it’s just SMBIOS dependant?

To be honest I don't know. It's the starting place I chose while trying to follow said hero's thought process. I went with 19,2 because I use that one myself to match the 8700.

I feel foolish even looking at them with my limited knowledge but they are very different. I snagged the entire folder from the Mojave installer so maybe today I'll dig through it and see if there are any that are closer.

@Oggy @scottkendall from searching those pages more I found this page: https://github.com/al3xtjames/ThunderboltPkg/releases. It's linked on the first page of his Thunderbolt fixes.

I gave that a shot from a cold boot with no TB device plugged in and was able to turn on my Thunderbolt device (Apollo Twin) in OS. Hotswap as well. Amazing. This doesn't make things completely native but it does however make things feel more plug and play like it should.

Im not sure which version of the HotPlug I have at this point but here's the files I'm using.

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 117
  • SSDT-Z370-TB3HP.aml
    5.7 KB · Views: 133
Back