Contribute
Register
Try as a might, I can't get my builtin audio back. HDEF layout-id stays at 0(should be 1), whatever I do. Argh. Wasted a whole evening.

have you tried injecting 1 in clover?

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 6.15.20 PM.png

Hi everyone and thanks for feeding this thread!
I might have to build an 8th Gen system with thunderbolt 3.
Which in your opinion is the easiest, most documented motherboard + thunderbolt 3 card combo?
Also, just to be on the same page, when you talk about "remove the THB_C cable" you mean the internal header cable from the PCIe Thunderbolt card to the motherboard...or...?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Also, just to be on the same page, when you talk about "remove the THB_C cable" you mean the internal header cable from the PCIe Thunderbolt card to the motherboard
Yes, exactly!
All systems work if the TB device is connected and access at startup.
As for the hotplug on the 8th generation systems, probably I have the best result (GB Z370 Ultra Gaming + GC-Alpine Ridge), but I use a belkin TB dock as device always connected and turned on.

Thanks a lot.
I've seen there's also a GB Z370 Ultra Gaming 2.0 that has slightly better VRM.
Ideally the two cards should be very similar in the way they handle the Thunderbolt 3 card.
So the best option to run thunderbolt 3 so far for this platform is Method 2, Choice 2 using SSDT V3?
Thanks again.

I edited the SSDT-TB3 and got this result.
Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 12.45.54 PM.png

Didn't insert the Clover patch. Still have to test hotplugging correctly.

@canyondust: fixed my audio after
1. a proper deinstall of previous patches(throw out appleHDA.kext, get rid of Realtek kext, delete the 3(!) HDA related kextstopatch in config.plist/clear caches/reboot.
2. Install
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext --- from High Sierra 10.13.2, while I'm still running 10.13.1 with kext wizard, I don't have the 10.13.1 kext.
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-HDEF-1.aml
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/Lilu.kext
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AppleALC.kext

For some reason, having (hdef) audio = 1 in config.plist(should have the same effect as the ssdt-hdef-1) doesn't work for me.

I actually prefer lilu and friends to weird Clover/kextstopatch stuff.

Let's see if everything is stable now. I updated a lot.

@canyondust: fixed my audio after
1. a proper deinstall of previous patches(throw out appleHDA.kext, get rid of Realtek kext, delete the 3(!) HDA related kextstopatch in config.plist/clear caches/reboot.
2. Install
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext --- from High Sierra 10.13.2, while I'm still running 10.13.1 with kext wizard, I don't have the 10.13.1 kext.
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-HDEF-1.aml
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/Lilu.kext
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AppleALC.kext

For some reason, having (hdef) audio = 1 in config.plist(should have the same effect as the ssdt-hdef-1) doesn't work for me.

I actually prefer lilu and friends to weird Clover/kextstopatch stuff.

Let's see if everything is stable now. I updated a lot.

Awesome! TB hot swap is the only remaining issue I have with my setup now :) You?

plz i have Z170X-UD5-TH
could you resume for clover modification (ie: bus thunderbolt) value ?

TB is still a mess. I don’t think anyone has true tb networking working, and all the patches I tried had defects and/or nasty side-effects on my (and your) Z170x
I really searched all over for a solution, but haven’t found one yet(after 2 years)

Back