Motherboard
HP EliteBook_8x0G1
CPU
i7-4600U
Graphics
HD 4400, 1366 x 768
HP ProBook 4x40s Quick Start

Updated: September 2013
A short note - I won't be updating this thread topic as of now or in future, I've given away the ProBook 4340s as it has found a new home, and a happy new probook hack user. Anyone who wants to edit/add to this OP, or topic, please ask the mods how to.

Updated: August 2013
I did a fresh install and it looks like everything works out of the box. This topic is not a comprehensive guide. Make sure you follow the sticky guides and follow the steps that are relevant to your probook.

The following lists the system hardware/software :
HP ProBook 4340s / bios f.42 / 16gb ram / tested separately with 960gb ssd and 750gb 4k sata hdd.
Unibeast 2.02
ML 10.84 (purchased from the app store)
Probook installer 6.1.2
usb mouse

Tip:
Once in a while, you will need windows to update your probook bios or firmware, so you will need to plan ahead to either plug in separate storage device with windows installed to boot from, or setup a multi boot system.

"Check if you use 4k/Advanced Formathard disk drive"
if yes go read
http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html.

Quick Start Notes :
BIOS:
Set your bios to factory defaults.
ML 10.84
Make sure you purchased it from the app store and ready for unibeast installer.
Unibeast installer usb:
When making the unibeast installer usb, make sure to check the option for laptop support, and create the unibeast installer usb with ml 10.84

# Important #
Connect your usb 10.84 installer to the right hand side usb2 port, closest to your probook display. i.e furthest away from the user. Power on your probook, and select to boot from your usb drive.
To get to the setup screen for 10.84, use the following boot switches (they are case sensitive) and press enter.
Code:
[B]GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 -x -v [/B]
You should now be able to see a verbose listing of the boot up process from your usb.
Before continuing setup and install, use disk utility to create your system partitions and format it accordingly, and proceed to setup/install 10.84
When 10.84 installation is complete, your probook will restart.
Leave your usb drive connected, and boot from the same usb drive again.
At the screen to select which partition to boot, choose the partition you just installed 10.84 on.

#Important #
Use the following boot switches (they are case sensitive) and press enter.
Code:
[B]GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 -x -v [/B]

Again, you should now be able to see a verbose listing of the boot up process from your usb.
After a short while, the user setup screen comes up, follow through. When your user account is setup, use probook installer 6.1.2 (current version as of writing) to patch your pro book as per the probook guide.
Power off. remove usb drive. Power on and to boot to osx.

Everything after this line is for archive/reference only, and will be removed after finished write up.

# Work in progress. Will tidy up when its working
# internal microphone: under system settings cannot be turned off, always on. no controls. (any other 4x40s users notice this?)
# webcam: device detected,not working. facetime and photobooth show no images.

Post install checklist / To do:

• On the 4340s (13inch display), out of the box, the screen color needs more calibration (expert mode), it really is the most annoying thing.
  • out of the box, screen brightness appears very dark or dim (100% level brightness was selected in probook installer)
  • Not an expert on this topic, this screen isn't easy to calibrate. either the screen hasn't warmed up (enough) or its just doesnt play nice with mac osx.
  • My preference is the default 4x30s profile on the probook 4230s, which is a cool grey, and neutral hues/tones.
  • Probook installer request: an EDID option for "ProBook 4x40s" ? or similar?

Other known / unknown bugs or issues specific to 4x40s
microphone levels can't be turned off or put to zero. can still see input meter feedback at lowest slider level.

Sleep/wake test (without power adapter - battery only, and with power adapter)
- isolated (no attached storage devices mounted or attached)
- non-isolated (with storage devices attached and mounted)

input

• usb3 ports - storage devices and non storage devices.
  • trackpad
  • mouse
  • keyboard apple key re-mapping (optional)
  • camera
  • microphone
  • sd card media slots
  • bluetooth
  • optional - SSD users - enable trim.

output

• calibrate display color
  • hdmi / vga display output
  • audio output (to headphones)

Followed the boot switches/flags quoted below, does not work

Keeps reporting "Still waiting for root device"

also tried the following switches, and they still don't work,

You should try plugging into a different port ... Prefer usb2. Either that or recreate your Unibeast stick with the latest Unibeast which gives you usb3 support.

The usb 2 ports on the right hand side are not identical: the rear one is internally multiplexed with a usb3 port (causing trouble?), the front one is not. At least in the 4740s, but the motherboard is sized that it could be the same in all 4x40s's.

dg

UPDATE - able to setup user account, and run probook installer with limited options.

on a fresh install os x 10.84 uses about 15.2 GB!

# internal microphone: under system settings cannot be turned off, always on. no controls. (any other 4x40s users notice this?)

# webcam: device detected,not working. facetime and photobooth show no images.

ubuntu 12.04 LTS: right after fresh install, today it says there's about 550mb of updates to download.

resizing partitions: recommend to plan ahead and give your mac partition at least 45gb to 80gb (more if you a heavy smartphone user -pics and videos that get synced and backup if os x is your main desktop system).

its easy to resize the windows and transfer space, but resizing the mac partition will be a possible disaster, the tiny bit of space before the mac partition also needs to be moved. and any other partitions to the 'right hand side' of the mac partition. final conclusion. do a fresh install, and double think about your data needs ahead. in my use case, i think i'll give linux ubuntu a smaller space, maybe between 2gb to 8gb - including 512mb to 1024mb swap space. might install lubuntu instead for smaller lightweight system.

testing with updated unibeast 2.0 and 10.84,

bingo! but no trackpad support, so plug in your mouse

usb installer on the rhs usb2 port furthest away from user.

... very strange i went to test the same on the lhs usb3 ports, when I came back to rhs usb2 port it doesnt work.

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][B]graphicsenabler=no pcirootuid=0 -x -v

[/B][/COLOR]
depracated
Code:
using -v switch, after loading all its stuff just shows a blank screen.

reboot gives message about cmos reset 502 error msg.

tried with -x, after showing the apple splash screen, just gives blank screen 

-v -x graphicsenabler=no, also gives blank screen

Followed the boot switches/flags quoted below, does not work

also tried the following switches, and they still don't work,

My probook 4440s work pretty well with 65gb partition for os x 10.8.4, but I would recommend 85 to 100gb, on my second attempt to install ml I somehow got the webcam working with help of some application which I dont remember now, the application would trigger webcam so it can be used with facetime & photobooth, the only problem I am facing is with my cisco ipsec VPN conn. that my network data is not being routed through my VPN..

Code:
graphicsenabler=no pcirootuid=0 -x -v

Just FYI: These options are case sensitive. It is GraphicsEnabler, not graphicsenabler. And PCIRootUID, not pcirootuid.

can you get facetime and photobooth again to find out what caused the webcam to work?

not sure how your vpn is setup, unless its a network device on the probook?

Got it!!! its camtwist, just download & install it, open facetime or photobooth then run camtwist, then click on Webcam under Video sources then select ... thats all..

@appleiscool

What is the status of your 4x40s install? Post #1 is impossible to follow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back