Contribute
Register

in 10.8.3, AMD 6870 is hotter than 10.8.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Apple-branded 5870 and also have the same high temperature at idle, 61 degrees, with 10.8.3. No sure exactly what it was in 10.8.2, but I do not believe it was this high or I would have noticed it.

That sounds really very strange! Or Apple now uses the GPU as additional CPU to make their systems a little bit more faster ;-)

In the meanwhile I tried to use the ATI5000Controller.kext, AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext and the ATISupport.kext from 10.8.2 but this results in a massive graphic issue without QE/CI - BUT with normal temperatures!

However - moved back the 10.8.3 kexts and just waiting for a solution or advice or whatever...

I was looking at the readme for the Sapphire 7950 MAC Edition drivers and noticed this:

NOTE: The drivers that are being installed only support the Sapphire RADEON HD 7950 card. If you have an older AMD card installed in the system, it will no longer work at an optimized level. In order to get full optimization of your previous card, you must uninstall the Sapphire RADEON HD 7950 drivers by re-running the Installer.
So maybe these cards are running hotter because they "no longer work at an optimized level" using the new drivers in 10.8.3.

Dermy - which "installer" to re-ran? The combo update 10.8.3?

Dermy - which "installer" to re-ran? The combo update 10.8.3?
It's referring to the installer for the Sapphire 7950 MAC Edition graphics card.

Another thing I saw is that the driver installer for that graphics card updates these files when installing on 10.8.2 (these should already be included with the 10.8.3 update):
AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext
AMDRadeonVADriver.bundle
AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle
AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle
ATI2400Controller.kext
ATI2600Controller.kext
ATI3800Controller.kext
ATI4600Controller.kext
ATI4800Controller.kext
ATI5000Controller.kext
ATI6000Controller.kext
ATI7000Controller.kext
ATIFramebuffer.kext
ATIRadeonX2000.kext
ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin
ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle
ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle
ATISupport.kext

So maybe you can try replacing all of those files on 10.8.3 with the ones from 10.8.2 and see if that changes anything.

Ok, thanks for the hint Dermy. I will try that later on and will keep you guys updated about the result.

My powercolor 6870 is idling high 50's. Furmark stress test 88 degrees.

Wasn't hot like that in 10.8.2, never.

Ersterhernd

Edit: I'm going to restore back to 10.8.2 until this is sorted out. There is 20 degrees C difference in idle temps between 10.8.2 and 10.8.3, with a resulting noisier GPU fan. Not worth keeping 10.8.3 at this point, I want my system quiet like I designed it to be.

Can anyone try the new beta 10.8.4? Maybe this changes, this update includes graphics drivers updated (I don't really know if this changes affects to our AMD graphic).

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back