Contribute
Register

IMPORTANT Darkwake=0 Flag can break auto-sleep in 10.8.1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in front of my Hackintosh I've tried my theory from the comment above. It turns out that the right value for darkwake on my board is darkwake=10. This corresponds to these flags:

Code:
kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate       = 0x02, // hid tickle after gfx suppression
kDarkWakeFlagIgnoreDiskIOAlways  = 0x08, // always ignore disk idle

If I use only darkwake=2 (kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate) then the system sleeps, and it wakes up on a single key press, but autosleep doesn't work.

Before you give up on auto-sleeping make sure, too, that the system is actually allowed to sleep. You can check this with the command "pmset -g assertions" in Terminal. If any of the counts, e.g. ApplePushServiceTask, BackgroundTask, are not zero and there is a section titled "Listed by owning process" the system will not auto-sleep. This is correct and it's the case on a real Mac, too.

Thanks you have certainly found more about darkwake than anyone else! Interesting reading.... I will try darkwake=10 on my hac tonight :)

nice one

Back in front of my Hackintosh I've tried my theory from the comment above. It turns out that the right value for darkwake on my board is darkwake=10. This corresponds to these flags:

Code:

If I use only darkwake=2 (kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate) then the system sleeps, and it wakes up on a single key press, but autosleep doesn't work.

Before you give up on auto-sleeping make sure, too, that the system is actually allowed to sleep. You can check this with the command "pmset -g assertions" in Terminal. If any of the counts, e.g. ApplePushServiceTask, BackgroundTask, are not zero and there is a section titled "Listed by owning process" the system will not auto-sleep. This is correct and it's the case on a real Mac, too.

Following your very interesting post I tried with darkwake=10. It sleeps perfectly. Autosleep works fine and also several times after another within one boot cycle which my system never did before. I used to have just one autosleep per cycle so I was forced to use PleaseSleep.
The system now wakes on one keystroke, only waking the monitor requires another one or two.

So far I observed no further issues, as I had some before with system freeze on wakeup. I´ll have an eye on it and post back as soon as I can say more about it.

Thanks for this interesting insight. Are you in contact with the mods so they can evaluate it for future MultiBeast versions?

UPDATE: I have done a total of 5 autosleeps now (within one boot cycle), each wake up was without issues. One keystroke to wake the machine, the monitor requires one or more (depending on patience...).
So I did a normal shutdown and reboot to see if there are new issues with that, but here also no negative findings so far.

Ohh my god, at last sleep and run, but is not perfect at all, ethernet change ip and not run, but I'm happy.
Before, sleep and restart but the usb is dead.

Darkwake=10 run for me.

H67N-USB-B3 and Mountain Lion

In Lion sleep perfect.

Modified: Autosleep not wake up.

Snif Snif

I can confirm Autosleep works with darkwake=10.

But for some reason, the setting flags my primary SSD (a Bootcamp) drive as external (orange icon)

Edit 1: This patch applied to the DSDT fixes orange icon issue.
View attachment AHCI SATA orange icon.txt

Edit 2: Spoke too soon. The orange icon DSDT fix breaks resume from sleep. USB device are unresponsive after resume from Auto sleep. Auto sleep and resume still work with darkwake=10 without the orange icon fix.

Take a look at the darkwake patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/US7996694

By setting darkwake to 0, you're turning that power management feature off. Remember, this was designed by Apple for Macs. The default setting is 1.

I tested setting it to 10 and it didn't make things any better. In fact, I had to click twice to wake my hack from sleep instead of once with the =0 value.

Code:

Thank you - I had been using PleaseSleep to get my machine to auto sleep but after changing to darkwake=10 sleep works perfectly for me now with no need to use PleaseSleep. DELIGHTED!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

By setting darkwake to 0, you're turning that power management feature off. Remember, this was designed by Apple for Macs. The default setting is 1.

What makes you say that 1 is the default? From looking at the source code I get the impression that 11 is the default. I've described this in detail further up.

Veddy intedesting...must try...off to change the plist file...

:)

These haven't worked for me. My sleep used to work, but sometime between 10.8.2 and multibeast 5.1, it stopped.

System will sleep, but pressing a button on the mouse/keyboard causes the system power light to come on and fans to spin up, but no display output or power to mouse/keyboard.

Removing darkwake from boot.plist didn't help; darkwake=10 didn't work, and darkwake=0 hasn't been working. Reinstalling chimera didn't help, nor did the most recent version of FakeSMC.kext or the other drivers in multibeast 5.1.3. Nor did the updates in the new 10.8.2 pack for the new Ivy macs.

What's odd is that this looks like a "darkwake" behavior, i.e. the system partially wakes, but with darkwake=0 (which I assume is the same as the 0x0100 value) it still occurs.

One thing is that there are no console logs written after the system goes to sleep. The next event is boot.

I'd be interested to know what folks have for their various settings (e.g. wake on lan in BIOS, energy saver prefs, etc).

Also, thanks to NeXTguy for his great work! :clap:

EDIT: I should add that my system has never auto-slept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back