Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My hackintosh is updated to 10.13.3 with the latest Nvidia web drivers and CUDA drivers. However, when I export to file from iMovie, my 2012 Mac mini does it in half the time for the exact same project.

My system runs a GTX 1080 with 16GB RAM and a 4690K CPU. I assumed that it would be a huge amount faster than the Mac mini but for some strange reason, it isn't. Not even close.

Any ideas?

have you tested it on any other software?

you need to monitor the CPU cores, seems like you are rendering with a single core.

rendering is CPU only, as far as I know

does your cpu have native power management?

No. I haven't tried any other software for comparison. My main reason for setting up this hackintosh was to save time on iMovie renders.

I'm not sure about the native power management. I used Multibeast with the standard settings and didn't add any extra kexts/options etc. I only installed the Nvidia drivers and did a kext edit to get my TP-Link wifi card to work. System runs fine besides the iMovie issue.

How do I check if iMovie is rendering with one or more cores?

can I ask you what the cpu on your Mac mini?
I just realised that you have an I5

I used activity monitor to confirm that all 4 cores are being used and the Intel power gadget to show that the CPU boosts to 3,75GHz during the iMovie export. CPU utilisation is just over 80%. No idea why then that iMovie file exports are so slow.

Seems like this issue is a combination of Intel Quick not being enable and Nvidia cards not being supported like AMD cards in Final Cut Pro X and iMovie. Pity.

Yes. Make sure hardware encoder acceleration for your codec of choice is enabled. I have a 6700k & AMD480, it was not trivial to get this working(h264 encoding in my case) properly.

The plan with installing macOS on my GTX 1080 based system was to have a more powerful video editing system than the current 2012 Mac mini that I use. After realising that my hackintosh wasn't going to do the job because of the issues I experienced trying to get it to perform the way it should, I gave up and bought a new 2017 iMac 27". I upgraded the ram to 16GB and it's awesome.

Thanks to the people that tried to give me advice with fixing the issues with my hackintosh. I appreciated it.

It seems like with certain things, a real Mac is the best way to get things done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back