Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
So, I'm signed into icloud, everything overall seems to be working.

However, when trying to sign into imessage, I hear my HD do a little spin and then it drops back to the sign-in without going anywhere.

It should be noted: I am using my existing Apple ID to sign into icloud and everything.

Where do I go from here?

So, I'm signed into icloud, everything overall seems to be working.

However, when trying to sign into imessage, I hear my HD do a little spin and then it drops back to the sign-in without going anywhere.

It should be noted: I am using my existing Apple ID to sign into icloud and everything.

Where do I go from here?

Hi there.

1) Did you follow the guide to setting-up iMessage here in the General section?

2) If so now check your on-board ethernet adapter is placed at "en0". You check this in System Report etc.

:thumbup:

Which one? Idiots guide? or another? I'll read it over, just want to know the right one.

As for ethernet: I've got two showing up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 7.38.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 7.38.35 PM.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 7.38.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 7.38.29 PM.png
    51 KB · Views: 36
I'm suddenly having an issue with iMessage too after working for months all of the sudden it just stopped working and won't enable
same with FaceTime. But everything else iCloud is working just fine it is super weird. also if I try to make a new account from scratch that fails as well.

I've solved my issue. I needed to add the emu64Variable driver -- works now. Though, I feel I shouldn't need it? At least it's working for now.

I've solved my issue. I needed to add the emu64Variable driver -- works now. Though, I feel I shouldn't need it? At least it's working for now.

That is necessary if you do not have working EFI NVRAM -- Messages makes use of NVRAM variables and requires them to be working. If you weren't using it before, replacing emu64Variable.efi with AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead may make it *actually* work for you instead of faking it like emu64 does (emu64 saves the variable data in a .plist file in your EFI partition then re-reads it on boot).

Hmm. I thought I had dropped that in there, I'll check.
I've got a Designare Z390 Mobo and i9900 chip, in what category do I investigate if I want to find out if I've got NVRAM capability?

I've got a Designare Z390 Mobo and i9900 chip, in what category do I investigate if I want to find out if I've got NVRAM capability?

Basically, you just have to test to see if it works. The basic process for testing would be this:

- Move emu64Variable.efi out of your EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ directory
- Copy AptioMemoryFix-64.efi into that directory
- Reboot
- Open Terminal, and attempt to set an NVRAM variable with the following: "sudo nvram TestVar=ThisIsATest" (without the quote marks)
- Reboot again
- Open Terminal, and check to see if the NVRAM value 'stuck', with the following: "sudo nvram -p | grep TestVar" -- you should see the ThisIsATest value you set previously
- If it does, congrats, you have functioning EFI NVRAM!

You can delete the value you set afterwards with "sudo nvram -d TestVar". If the test does not work, for whatever reason your motherboard's UEFI implementation is incomplete, and you'll have to reverse the first couple steps (remove AptioMemoryFix-64 and copy emu64Variable back over) to get the emulated version back.

... you can also use the 'Hackintool' utility :thumbup:

Which one? Idiots guide? or another? I'll read it over, just want to know the right one.

As for ethernet: I've got two showing up.

Yes, your motherboard has 2x Intel NICs so that looks ok (no idea why they are different chipsets).

As for NVRAM, yes emulating that is needed for most modern Gigabyte motherboards I've owned. It's a prerequisite for getting iMessage working too as has been explained in other posts and through your own experiments :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back