Contribute
Register

Imaging A Dual Drive|Dual Boot System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gents, I've been having a particular problem that maybe someone here might know what to do. Over the past couple of weeks I have been trying to create a image of a dual drive/dual boot machine with Windows 10/OSX Sierra installed. Originally I had both on a single 1 TB hard drive, however the practicality of that seemed to be not useful at all. Which is when I moved to two separate drives. The initial machine is able to boot into either OS without a problem using the Clover Bootloader. But now comes the interesting part, I need to be able to image the machine so I can clone them to a duplicate machine with the same hardware specs. Any time I try and clone or image the OSX side, the result just shows the Boot Loader itself at start up. Windows would also not be seen as well. No other boot options are listed. I ran through the Shell to see if it would list them (separate partitions), which it did. Is there a simple fix to try and re-add the boot options back in?

I've tried Acronis, SuperDupper, Apple's own Disk Utility, and have just started trying Clonezila, any thoughts

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro / Mac OSX Sierra
intel i5-4690K
CM Hyper 212 EVO coolers
16GB (8x2) 1600 Corsair Vengeance
MSI 797 PCMate
GTX 970 4GB ZOTAC
WD Blue 1TB 7200 HDD x2

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is to make sure that the BIOS settings on the second computer is set up correctly. Also, check in Clover Configurator, GUI section that it's set to show all possible boot options.

As for cloning a hackintosh boot drive, this is what I do:
  1. Clone the macOS drive using your favorite method (Disk Utility, SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, etc)
  2. Mount the EFI partitions of original drive and target drive.
  3. Copy entire EFI folder from original drive to target drive.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been trying to create a image of a dual drive/dual boot machine with Windows 10/OSX Sierra installed.
Why are you trying one image? CCC the Mac OS drive and install Clover boot loader. Acronis the Windows drive - note this may not work in the new build due to the way Microsoft is using the serial numbers of the board and CPU in your license ID on their server when you validate the license key. In their view, if you replace/upgrade either it is a new build and a new key is required. You might be able to get the support guru to move the license to the new hardware, but then it will no longer work on the old hardware - you get a black screen with the notice that this is a pirated version of Windows 10 - please contact Microsoft.

Why are you trying one image? CCC the Mac OS drive and install Clover boot loader. Acronis the Windows drive - note this may not work in the new build due to the way Microsoft is using the serial numbers of the board and CPU in your license ID on their server when you validate the license key. In their view, if you replace/upgrade either it is a new build and a new key is required. You might be able to get the support guru to move the license to the new hardware, but then it will no longer work on the old hardware - you get a black screen with the notice that this is a pirated version of Windows 10 - please contact Microsoft.

The intention of this is for a Work Lab (25 stations). Licenses aren't an issue due to the fact that we will be running a Domain as well as a license server for the additional software packages. Short story, they need both Mac and Windows environments and don't have the space for two computer for each station( would be 50+ machines in a very tight space) . As far as acronis is concerned, we have had no problems in the past with Windows 10, we have imaged machines in the past, this is just the first time with a dual boot.

The only thing I can think of is to make sure that the BIOS settings on the second computer is set up correctly. Also, check in Clover Configurator, GUI section that it's set to show all possible boot options.

As for cloning a hackintosh boot drive, this is what I do:
  1. Clone the macOS drive using your favorite method (Disk Utility, SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, etc)
  2. Mount the EFI partitions of original drive and target drive.
  3. Copy entire EFI folder from original drive to target drive.

I'll give it a try, stupid me also didn't realize that multibeast wasn't installed properly for what ever reason, so I'm going back and looking over the initial settings again. Might just be as simple as something being set incorrectly or turned off by accident.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back