Contribute
Register

iMacPro1,1 discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect this is more about consolidating the Mac lineup- too many models with the Mx Macs coming now. The iMac Pro market has been cannibalized by the newer Mac Pros on the high end and the recent high end regular iMac on the low end. Hopefully the Mx iMacs will be powerful enough to further blur that distinction. I don't expect them very soon though.

I suspect this is more about consolidating the Mac lineup- too many models with the Mx Macs coming now. The iMac Pro market has been cannibalized by the newer Mac Pros on the high end and the recent high end regular iMac on the low end. Hopefully the Mx iMacs will be powerful enough to further blur that distinction. I don't expect them very soon though.

Yeah, going back to just Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro make sense for Apple.

I expect the first Apple Silicon iMac to be introduced this year and maybe next year for an Apple Silicon Mac Pro.

If Apple doesn't bother to update the Mac Pro one more time with Intel CPUs, a Mac with AMD RDNA2 GPUs may never be released and there would be no incentive for Apple to release a version of macOS with drivers for it. Of course, this is all assuming that Apple will continue to use GPUs of their own design in all future Apple Silicon Macs.

I would memorialise iMac Pro with the iMacPro1,1 model identifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back