Contribute
Register

iMacPro AsRock X299 e + i9 9940x = MiniMonsterBuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi would you be willing to share the efi files you used so I can try this on my system?
Hi, i can upload my efi folder on the weekend as i have no access to my system at the moment.

Last edited:
Nice build HackJack! :thumbup:

I too use this board in a NCASE M1 and am pleased by what is possible in such a tiny space.

You might want to try the kext i made for my ASRock X299E-ITX/ac and posted in this thread:

Also you might check out this very helpful thread from @kgp. But i think you have seen it already. ;)
I followed it since the end of 2017 and got my tiny Hack working nicely.

Regarding the WiFi/Bluetooth, one option is to replace the card on the board with a "real" Apple card.
It requires a little bit of work as this solution does not fit inside the metal housing of the Intel card that comes with the board. But in my point of view it is worth it!

Hey kubusikan !

Thank you so much for those valuable feedback ! And glad to see that I'm not alone with this X299e :)

Il will definitely try your USB3 kext but does it mean I have to remove other USB kexts such as USBInjectAll or XHCI Unsupported ?
And did you manage to get all of them working in 3.1 - even the front io ports of the NCASE M1 ?

Concerning the WiFi/Bluetooth I will definitely order the broadcom BCM94360CS2 with an adapter but I was wondering if the X299e metal case of the WiFi/Bluetooth is really necessary ? If I plug the BCM94360CS2 to the slot and just attache the antenna is it enough ? I'm asking because I'm not sur to understand the purpose of this tiny case

The hack force be with you ;)

Hey kubusikan !

Thank you so much for those valuable feedback ! And glad to see that I'm not alone with this X299e :)

Il will definitely try your USB3 kext but does it mean I have to remove other USB kexts such as USBInjectAll or XHCI Unsupported ?
And did you manage to get all of them working in 3.1 - even the front io ports of the NCASE M1 ?

Concerning the WiFi/Bluetooth I will definitely order the broadcom BCM94360CS2 with an adapter but I was wondering if the X299e metal case of the WiFi/Bluetooth is really necessary ? If I plug the BCM94360CS2 to the slot and just attache the antenna is it enough ? I'm asking because I'm not sur to understand the purpose of this tiny case

The hack force be with you ;)
I got a broadcom card and put it in place of the Intel card that was in the metal case. It was pretty simple, there are 2 screws under the motherboard and removing those releases the metal case, the metal case has another screw that you need to remove so you can open the case and then you just remove the 2 antenna cables inside it connected to the Intel card and unscrew and remove the Intel card and then put the broadcom card in it's place, attach the antenna cables, close the metal case and screw it back to the motherboard.
But I still don't have my system working because I'm waiting on the efi files for this board

Last edited:
OK great. Please keep me posted.
Ok, here you go. :)

Hopefully this one works for you too.

My EFI folder is based largely on @kgp work in his corresponding threads. It is only adapted to the ASRock itx board and my specific system. I am by no means skilled enough to sort out difficult problems. ;)
So please check out @kgp threads to dig deeper. Highly recommended!

A few things to keep in mind about my EFI folder:
  • it is used for 10.14.x - so i am not sure if it will work with 10.13.x (it's been long since i used it for 10.13.x)
  • i removed the Serial Number in SMBIOS section in clover - so please fill them in with values to get working iMessage and such
  • i adjusted the TSCAdjustReset.kext in kexts/others to your 7980XE 18 core CPU so this should be good to go. This one is really crucial in getting the system to work!
  • as you are not using an original apple airport card, you should remove the "SSDT-X299-ARPT.aml" under CLOVER/ACPI/patched. I assume you would otherwise run in to problems.
  • the "SSDT-X299-Vega_edit_perf.aml" in CLOVER/ACPI/patched contains a PowerPlay table for my Vega 56 with custom Noctua fans. It should work with your Vega 64 for testing but the table should be replaced by proper values for your card to use its full performance. Also the GPU is named inside this .aml file so you might change that as well after you get your system working. It is only of cosmetic nature but it clearly looks wrong if it says Vega 56 instead of 64 in your case. ;) If unsure, just remove it for testing.

I also uploaded screenshots of my BIOS settings.
Make sure that "CFG Lock" under "Advanced/CPU Configuration" is disabled.

Attachments

• BIOS_Screenshots.zip
    16.2 MB · Views: 256
  • EFI.zip
    7 MB · Views: 339
Last edited:
I think you should remove these as they are not needed when using the kext.
At least i have never used them.
Yes, every port works - even the two internal USB2 ones.
But i do not have any hardware to check if the USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A and Type-C ports work at their max speed (10GB/s).
At least they work at USB 3 speed.
The front io ports work. :)
As some time passed since i modified the metal housing i am not sure what i did exactly. Let's just say i modified it but kept something of it. ;) I think it was beneficial to keep some part of it - at least to put the CMOS battery on top of it.
This is how it looks from above:

And this is the Hack in a former state when i was still using a NVidia 1060 with custom cooler and two 3.5'' HDDs.
The 3.5'' drives were removed since i did't need them any more and the GPU was replaced with a Vega 56 (for 10.14).
This weekend i will be testing if an 240mm AIO will be better than the Noctua aircooler.
If i find the time i will take a new picture of the current hardware setup.

The hack force be with you too! :)

As some time passed since i modified the metal housing i am not sure what i did exactly. Let's just say i modified it but kept something of it. ;) I think it was beneficial to keep some part of it - at least to put the CMOS battery on top of it.
Today i had a look at the metal housing as i had the case open.
I kept part of it because the adapter for the airport card is fixed on it with a screw.
So it might be a good idea to keep some part of it for mechanical stability.

Ok, here you go. :)

Hopefully this one works for you too.

My EFI folder is bases largely on @kgp work in his corresponding threads. It is only adapted to the ASRock itx board and my specific system. I am by no means skilled enough to sort out difficult problems. ;)
So please check out @kgp threads to dig deeper. Highly recommended!

A few things to keep in mind about my EFI folder:
  • it is used for 10.14.x - so i am not sure if it will work with 10.13.x (it's been long since i used it for 10.13.x)
  • i removed the Serial Number in SMBIOS section in clover - so please fill them in with values to get working iMessage and such
  • i adjusted the TSCAdjustReset.kext in kexts/others to your 7980XE 18 core CPU so this should be good to go. This one is really crucial in getting the system to work!
  • as you are not using an original apple airport card, you should remove the "SSDT-X299-ARPT.aml" under CLOVER/ACPI/patched. I assume you would otherwise run in to problems.
  • the "SSDT-X299-Vega_edit_perf.aml" in CLOVER/ACPI/patched contains a PowerPlay table for my Vega 56 with custom Noctua fans. It should work with your Vega 64 for testing but the table should be replaced by proper values for your card to use its full performance. Also the GPU is named inside this .aml file so you might change that as well after you get your system working. It is only of cosmetic nature but it clearly looks wrong if it says Vega 56 instead of 64 in your case. ;) If unsure, just remove it for testing.
I also uploaded screenshots of my BIOS settings.
Make sure that "CFG Lock" under "Advanced/CPU Configuration" is disabled.
Do I need to install it from a USB 2.0 flash drive?

Nice build HackJack! :thumbup:

I too use this board in a NCASE M1 and am pleased by what is possible in such a tiny space.

You might want to try the kext i made for my ASRock X299E-ITX/ac and posted in this thread:

Also you might check out this very helpful thread from @kgp. But i think you have seen it already. ;)
I followed it since the end of 2017 and got my tiny Hack working nicely.

Regarding the WiFi/Bluetooth, one option is to replace the card on the board with a "real" Apple card.
It requires a little bit of work as this solution does not fit inside the metal housing of the Intel card that comes with the board. But in my point of view it is worth it!

Thank you very much for your help ! Indeed your USB3 kext worked almost well ! I say almost because now all my usb 3.0 and my USB c 3.1 work fine but my usb 3.1 type A work as USB 2.
I think the fact that my kraken liquid cooler is pluged to one USB 2 port on the mob may be the reason of this difference compared to yours Hack ?

I also did add the SSDT-X299-Vega_edit_perf.aml but since I have a vega 64 I was wondering how I can edit it ? how to Replaced the power table by proper values ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back