Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow ! That was my last weekend down the drain ....
Thank you !

In your guide you mentioned that we should boot with a USB-C device in order to populate the PCIe card, but I thought I had it covered by the TB3 connection to the monitor and the various USB flash drives I had under the monitor's USB-C hub. You were correct ! As soon as I booted with a USB-C stick in one of the TB3/USB-C ports of the PCIe card and the monitor connected to the other one everything worked great, as you can see from the attached screenshot.Also hotplug functions as intended.

BTW, after making some cosmetic changes in your SSDT, I performed some tests and I noticed that even if you use a small USB-C hub with nothing attached to it, the card WILL populate the USB-C port and hotplug WILL work thereafter.

I have one last request, which will satisfy my OCD ... Is is possible to modify the existing SSDT, or create a new one, that will fix the entry highlighted in the attached screenshot (XHCI from the LG monitor) for cosmetic purpose ? I am attaching the current registry status - if that helps.

Thanks again, especially for your very fast response.
Regards,

Vassilis

I would not do so as the SSDT else should remain generally applicable.

All the best,

KGP

There is a advertiser picture with the Thunderbolt Card from Gigabyte where I see the USB Type C to display port cables connected with the DGPU, does it work as an external GPU? Or did someone tried the method from the picture?
EE21BBF4-4899-4804-ABE0-F22D7CDC07C3.jpeg

There is a advertiser picture with the Thunderbolt Card from Gigabyte where I see the usb type C to display port cables connected with the DGPU, does it work as an external gpu? Or did someone tried the method from the picture?
View attachment 398522

Titan Ridge is the newest with DisplayPort 1.4 support (5k monitor support) :thumbup:

I would not do so as the SSDT else should remain generally applicable.

All the best,

KGP
I totally understand. But is there a more extensive guide about adapting SSDTs for your specific system, because I could not find any. Or if you can give some basic directions how to go about it that would be really appreciated.

And my last question is about the Ambient Light Sensor of the LG Ultrafine 5K 2". I assume that if it was working/recognized correctly I would have the ability to set my monitor brightness to Auto. Is that the case ? Do I need a driver for for it?

Thanks again. Your help was immensely valuable!

Regards,
Vassilis

I totally understand. But is there a more extensive guide about adapting SSDTs for your specific system, because I could not find any. Or if you can give some basic directions how to go about it that would be really appreciated.

And my last question is about the Ambient Light Sensor of the LG Ultrafine 5K 2". I assume that if it was working/recognized correctly I would have the ability to set my monitor brightness to Auto. Is that the case ? Do I need a driver for for it?

Thanks again. Your help was immensely valuable!

Regards,
Vassilis

a.) Standard sentence: This small guideline might help. I would not know other more extensive guidelines.

b.) I did not gain any personal experience with the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor so far that would help in answering your question.

Good luck,

KGP

There is a advertiser picture with the Thunderbolt Card from Gigabyte where I see the usb type C to display port cables connected with the DGPU, does it work as an external gpu? Or did someone tried the method from the picture?
View attachment 398522

As long you intend to drive a 4K monitor via TB with an Alpine Ridge in the depicted configuration, you should be fine I guess. In this case you should also use a GPU with DP1.2 ports rather than 1.4.

I was never able to drive my LG5K2K under native 5K resolution via TB with an Alpine Ridge in the depicted configuration though, not even under Windows, while the GC Titan Ridge in the above configuration even supports up to two LG5K2K monitors @5K native resolution, although both miniDP inputs on the GC Titan Ridge must be connected also in this case to two DP1.4 ports of e.g. a Vega.

After all my intensive testing, the GC Titan Ridge turned out to be much more reliable under macOS not only in terms of TB displays. Remaining issues with my LG5K2K connected to the GC Titan Ridge in the depicted configuration are detailed along my guidelines and posts along my threads, while the direct DP1.4 connection between the LG5K2K and a Vega is easy going and definitely preferable in terms of 5K resolution, moreover as you are able to connect up to three LG5K2K in such configuration depending on your Vega implementation.

The depicted configuration above has nothing to do with an eGPU implementation, and under Graphics/Displays the display connection continues to be a DP one.

I hope this clarifies some of your questions.

Cheers, good luck, and good night world,

KGP

Last edited:
Can you show me where in Apple's vanilla AMD GPU kexts you do find up to now a AMDFramebufferVega20 definition?

Else macOS does use the correct AMDVega20GraphicsAccelerator for the VII, defined in AMDRadeonX5000.kext.

Not only up to my knowledge, WEG does support the VII and my entire current system configuration also works without major issues such, apart from the yet not perfect overall VII performance .

from ioreg:

Screenshot 2019-04-10 at 05.52.38.png

I dont remenber in what kext found framebuffer for vega 20 ...
maybe I did not find it and I imagine it after thousands of tests ... sorry
but surely in the WEG there is no id 66af ...

Last edited:
from ioreg:

View attachment 398577

I dont remenber in what kext found framebuffer for vega 20 ...
maybe I did not find it and I imagine it after thousands of tests ... sorry
but surely in the WEG there is no id 66af ...

Ok.. and what improves in your opinion if one does not use WEG?

For me WEG just does what it ever did and what I need it for, also in case of the VII.

Also could you show me where in the WEG source code or WEG.kext you find e.g. the device IDs for the Vegas?

Last edited:
@kgp The Vega(s) pciid are available here, Radeon VII id isn't in there, but I'm not sure if that's required at this point given that a stable 10.14.5 hasn't been released yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back