Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Xeon cascade lake announced. Wonder if these will be in the new Mac pros. Anyone gonna try hacking these? :lol:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14146/intel-xeon-scalable-cascade-lake-deep-dive-now-with-optane

Price looks right :lol::

Is anybody able to tell how to update clover boot loader sticking to @kgp guidelines without messing it up? there are a lot of toggles in clover's installation

This:

I am running on the 10.14.5 Beta 1 and I can say that my machine runs more smoothly and feels more stable than on 10.14.4.

It's also nice that I can use native Vega support (no need for kexts, or Vega injections, SSDTs, etc - I am currently running and I'm injecting no drivers for my Vega whatsoever). Luxmark is great, the same as on Windows 10 (almost identical) and fans run much better than any of the other methods I've tried and they spin up and down properly as the card needs. Nice!

Interesting that the 10.14.5 Beta appears more stable than the released version of 10.14.4.....

Last edited:
I am running on the 10.14.5 Beta 1 and I can say that my machine runs more smoothly and feels more stable than on 10.14.4.

It's also nice that I can use native Vega support (no need for kexts, or Vega injections, SSDTs, etc - I am currently running and I'm injecting no drivers for my Vega whatsoever). Luxmark is great, the same as on Windows 10 (almost identical) and fans run much better than any of the other methods I've tried and they spin up and down properly as the card needs. Nice!

Interesting that the 10.14.5 Beta appears more stable than the released version of 10.14.4.....

Are you sayin that you don't use WEG.kext / SSDTs or kext (VGTab Powertable) at all? What Vega 64 model do you have (Reference? 3rd party vendor? air or liquid?). Please be more specific 'cause this could be a very important turning point for all of us with Vega based GPUs. Thanks for your report.

Are you sayin that you don't use WEG.kext / SSDTs or kext (VGTab Powertable) at all? What Vega 64 model do you have (Reference? 3rd party vendor? air or liquid?). Please be more specific 'cause this could be a very important turning point for all of us with Vega based GPUs. Thanks for your report.

Did you read my signature? Because there it identifies my two GPUs, and they are air cooled.

As I clearly stated in my original post, I don't load any special drivers for my Vega's anymore - no SSDT, no kexts, no VGtab, zippo.

But really, I worry about your response. It sounds like you want guarantees, or some assuredness that it's all going to be allright. It's a Beta, and just because 10.14.5 Beta 1 works great (for me) doesn't mean it's going to work for you and your system. And, 10.14.5 Beta 2 could be awful - that's the way sometimes Betas work. Then 10.14.5 Beta 3 could be better.....and so it goes.

I'm not the only one reporting that 10.14.5 Beta 1 Vegas are working natively. Users have reported similar results on this site (see pastrychef's thread) and other sites, like this one: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=29 (check out the posts by CMMChris)......

Last edited:
Preliminary Radeon VII (EK-Vector Radeon VII RGB - Nickel + Acetal / Backplate) benchmarks. Looks very promising. Performance will definitely get better over time. (Memory MHz is displayed wrong or actually running slower by default FYI). It is running slower than the Vega FE under macOS, but that's fine it will get better. Windows is flying like butter.

As far as gaming in Windows, it's an incredible card and trades blows with the 2080 (from various internal tests with slight overclocking). It's not a 2080Ti level card, but it is a computational beast of a card that still has to be taken advantage of with the wide memory bandwidth (1TB/sec).

Premiere Pro performance (OpenCL > Metal) is very good, and it will get better. Did not have time for FCPX or Davinci Resolve tests (If anyone's interested I can do some).

Definitely worth every penny, took a while to install because the EK-Phoenix is semi-closed loop and it took a lot of draining and getting rid of the air bubbles to get it to a good/silent place so the pump is inaudible. :banghead:

Overall very happy and looking forward for better performance in macOS. :thumbup:

Hope this helps anyone making a decision about this card (and/or watercooling) :wave:

GPU.png

GB_OpenCL.png

GB_Metal.png

LuxMark.png

CB_OpenGL.png

Valley.png

GPU_History.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back