Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ KGP and others, the new generation i9 9900X supported as per this guide?. Any specific MB recommendation?.
Are there users of the i9 9900X here.
Another question is if the Samsung 970 EVO PLUS (Plus is a new version of 970 EVO) work with MAC OS?.
Planing to buy the above for a new build.
Thanks.

Last edited:
@ KGP and others, the new generation i9 9900X supported as per this guide?. Any specific MB recommendation?.
Are there users of the i9 9900X here.
Another question is if the Samsung 970 EVO PLUS (Plus is a new version of 970 EVO) work with MAC OS?.
Planing to buy the above for a new build.
Thanks.
There is nothing really different you need to do with the i9-9900K as you would with an i9-7900X. Board recommendations is a personal thing in a way, but Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte are ones that comes to mind. Any NVME device can work with MacOS, although, it may require a little Kext to patch to get it seen. I have the 970 Evo and Pro version. Working just fine.

There is nothing really different you need to do with the i9-9900K as you would with an i9-7900X. Board recommendations is a personal thing in a way, but Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte are ones that comes to mind. Any NVME device can work with MacOS, although, it may require a little Kext to patch to get it seen. I have the 970 Evo and Pro version. Working just fine.

@mcity, two things I would like to add at this place.

1.) Just ensure that the your X299 motherboard BIOS firmware also supports the particular i9-9xxx-X CPU you want to employ.

2.) For NVMes, the additional kext is only required in case of X99. With X299, NVMEs should work OoB. I personally prefer the EVO PROs.

Good luck,

KGP

There had been issues reported with the EVO PLUS. Not sure if it is compatibility with certain motherboards or MacOS in general.
To be safe, stay away from the EVO PLUS for now.

There had been issues reported with the EVO PLUS. Not sure if it is compatibility with certain motherboards or MacOS in general.
To be safe, stay away from the EVO PLUS for now.

I am running a EVO 970 PRO on my Prime X299 Deluxe and it just works perfectly, while I observed severe write speed issues with EVO 960 (non-pro) NVMes formerly.

Thus, I would be careful with respective advises...

Stay away from the Samsung 970 EVO Plus. It has problems working with macOS as reported on this forum and the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section. Go with the 970 EVO (if you can still find one) or the 970 Pro SSD.

Thus, I would be careful with respective advises...
Well, i did not advise for, but against a specific model with reported "non-working" issues. ;)

Thanks @kgp and all others for the quick replies. I will stay away from 970 EVO Plus for now.
I ordered the i9 9900x and looking for a best compatible MB.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well, i did not advise for, but against a specific model with reported "non-working" issues. ;)

My bad. ;)

While you advised against the 970 PLUS, I was talking about the 970 PRO, which works flawless.

Actually I never used or heard about any 970 Plus and I regret for any confusion caused by my own confusion when flying over your post without sufficient caution.. :lol:

@kgp Is there anything that should be updated in the main document regarding X299 WS 10G support? I'm trying to get everything ready before components arrive, like drivers, etc. Also which BIOS version are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back