Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Aquantia 10Gbit firmware that would be of general interest to examine, would be the one included with a genuine Apple iMac Pro and also with certain "upgrade" models of the 2018 Mac Mini. Which, AFAIK, functions in both macOS (natively) & also with Windows + standard Aquantia Windows device drivers.
Latest Windows Aquantia driver released 26 FEB:
Aquantia AQtion (AQC1xx) Network Adapter Drivers Version 2.1.17.0 WHQL

Update:

I installed this AQC-107 Card (The Pro-Gaming one, not the regular one) and it works OOB. No need for Kernel patches/kexts in 10.14.3.

No need for firmware update or anything either.

Will post speed results once I install the 10GbE card in the Synology NAS.

I would have liked a 2Port 10GbE NIC, but didn’t want to go with Intel at this time.

I’m going to disable the onboard 5GbE NIC in the bios. It’s useless now.

Last edited:
@franksanderdo @kgp (might be interesting to add it to your guide for people with a similar board),

I don't know if you can give me some more tips, but I fixed the sleep issue :)

Here is what I did:
i did some small investigation and used the following command, which showed me after my last sleep try the following:
Code:
log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

Code:
2019-03-01 17:33:07.188870+0100  localhost powerd[57]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>"  identity: "<private>"
2019-03-01 17:33:13.323777+0100  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: GBE1
2019-03-01 17:33:13.323778+0100  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: GBE1
2019-03-01 17:33:27.802501+0100  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver) [HID] [ATC] AppleDeviceManagementHIDEventService::processWakeReason Wake reason: Host (0x01)

by reading this I noticed one thing. GBE1 sounds extremely like something related to the Ethernet port.
As I have WakeOnLan disabled, I was investigating further and noticed that beside XHCI, on the same level PCI0 has GBE1.

so I added a clover patch which renamed GBE1 -> ETH0.
and it works. my system is going totally fine to sleep now :)

Thank you a lot for all your help. without all your hint's I would not have ended up with these settings.
I will test the system now for the weekend, and if it works flawless, I would share my SSDTs and EFI Folder that people with the same board, do not struggle with the issues I had now for nearly a month.

last thing i notice is that my magic trackpad is not waking up my pc. i can use the keyboard or my G903 wiresless mouse, but not my magic trackpad 2. Any idea here? ^^

Please only share an EFI-Folder with properly adapted system SSDTs and all additional introduced config.plist replacements removed.

Thanks in advance,

KGP

I installed this AQC107 Card (The Pro-Gaming one, not the regular one) and it works OOB. No need for Kernel patches/kexts in 10.14.3.
No need for firmware update or anything either.
I’m going to disable the onboard 5GbE NIC in the bios. It’s useless now.

Okay, thanks for the info.
Although: it might still be useful if you were to use the "diag" utility to
1: determine what firmware version number that the
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5VLVFF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
card came from the factory with.
2: And for anyone interested, provide a downloadable copy of that same firmware somewhere, in case there might be something useful to be found within it. Such as: examine how it differs from other card firmwares with the same controller chip, but which behave differently when attempted to be used in a Hackintosh machine.

Okay, thanks for the info.
Although: it might still be useful if you were to use the "diag" utility to
1: determine what firmware version number that the
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5VLVFF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
card came from the factory with.
2: And for anyone interested, provide a downloadable copy of that same firmware somewhere, in case there might be something useful to be found within it. Such as: examine how it differs from other card firmwares with the same controller chip, but which behave differently when attempted to be used in a Hackintosh machine.

Here's a screenshot of the current firmware, it is 3.1.30 (older than the one from station driver site). I don't want to flash it to the new one because the dumped firmware is 4MB and the station driver is 2MB and since original is working well for me (OOB no mods), it's not worth it.

Attached is also the dumped firmware from this device.

See if this firmware works on your AQC-107 as OOB.

I am no expert on drivers on macOS, but I think it is seeing this card as an iMac Pro Aquantia chip (Maybe iMac Pro has same Device ID, PHY Chip ID, PHY Chip Rev?)

If we had access to the diag info from a real iMac Pro, we would know exactly which firmware it's running on :)

But overall I am happy, and if anyone is interested in a 10GbE card they can get this one...I was going to get the ASUS version of this card, but avoided.

Attachments

• AQN107_Aquantia_10G_ProGaming_3_1_30_original.zip
    656.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Because I’m saddened by the constant rejections from @kgp on my previous inputs helping others thru my experience, this will be my last post.

To all owners of x299 Gigabyte Mainboards using Mojave 10.14.1 and above, facing KP/ black screen upon wake after sleep, here is the solution.
The KP is due to the XCPM not properly being initialized across al cores of the CPU.
Because the kernel patch proposed by KGP on his EFI is out of date, ( and also not approved by KGP to Gigabyte users ) that patch stopped working after the 10.14.0 Mojave beta 3.

You will find below the proper updated kernel to patch enabling wake after sleep.

FIND 31D2E891 FCFFFF REPLACE 31D29090 909090

Ps: I still stand behind my previous post stating that the SSDT implementation of a PCIe device can change if an extra device is added
Post #10.851 & #10.856 clearly show consequences / IOReg changes of removing the firewire card from slot 5 with my GPU always in Slot 1.
I created two different SSDT for my GPU ( with or without Firewire card ) to compensate these changes. You’’l find them below.

Good luck to you all. I learned a lot from this community during this past year building my first Hackintosh.
Updated X299 10.14.3 and 10.14.4 EFI-Folder distributions

Note just modified X299 10.14.3 and 10.14.4 EFI-Folder distributions EFI-X299-10.14.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-250119.zip and EFI-X299-10.14.4-Beta1-Release-iMacPro1,1-250119.zip which account for a bug in the XCPM core scope kernel patch, as kindly advised by user @Ellybz.

By error, the formerly implemented XCPM core scope kernel patch although anyway disabled by default (as for all X299 motherboards the MSR register can now be fully enabled for kernel write and this one and only remaining disabled XCPM kernel patch in my EFI-Folder distributions is not required at all) was still the one for 10.13, while the proper XCPM core scope kernel patch for 10.14 properly reads:

xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha
Find: 31D2E891 FCFFFF
Replace: 31D29090 909090

In all my X99 10.14 EFI-Folder distributions, I however properly implemented the correct core scope kernel patch for 10.14 from the very beginning and the correct 10.14 xcpm core scope patch was also always properly outlined in my respective guidelines

View attachment 389289

thus there is absolutely no need for any posthum correction in this case . The 10.13 core scope patch bug in my recent X299 10.14 EFI-Folder distributions apparently has just been introduced accidentally in one of my former X299 10.14 EFI-Folder distributions and thus also all subsequent X299 10.14 EFI-Folder distributions continued using the wrong patch up to know.

I therefor regret for any related inconvenience by this unwanted error, likely affecting all users not being able to properly read my guidelines and still working with a locked MSR register or who enabled the erroneous XCPM core scope kernel patch for no reason.

View attachment 389287

Awesome patch !
Since last week , everything works perfectly: sleep and wake up is done gently and I never shut done : to wake up by right click with the mouse.
Many thanks !

Awesome patch !
Since last week , everything works perfectly: sleep and wake up is done gently and I never shut done : to wake up by right click with the mouse.
Many thanks !

Write to GA support anyway.. this patch can be disabled for all other X299 motherboards with unlocked MSR register!

Here's a screenshot of the current firmware, it is 3.1.30 (older than the one from station driver site). I don't want to flash it to the new one because the dumped firmware is 4MB and the station driver is 2MB and since original is working well for me (OOB no mods), it's not worth it.

Attached is also the dumped firmware from this device.

View attachment 390473

See if this firmware works on your AQC-107 as OOB.

I am no expert on drivers on macOS, but I think it is seeing this card as an iMac Pro Aquantia chip (Maybe iMac Pro has same Device ID, PHY Chip ID, PHY Chip Rev?)

If we had access to the diag info from a real iMac Pro, we would know exactly which firmware it's running on :)

But overall I am happy, and if anyone is interested in a 10GbE card they can get this one...I was going to get the ASUS version of this card, but avoided.

Just to mention that there is also the Syba 1 Port PCIe x4 10Gb 10GBASE-T NIC AQTION AQC107-10Gbps Ethernet PCI-Express x4 Adapter which also works OoB and has been advised by @mm2margaret already for months and extensively discussed in respective threads.

All ASUS, Sybia and the Aquantia AQtion 10G Gaming NIC you use lately have the AQC107 chipset also used by the iMacPro. That's also the reason why all AQC107 10GB NICs are natively implemented by macOS. The firmware of the ASUS ASUS AQC107 needs an Apple firmware update though under 10.13.3 to be natively implemented by macOS, while the other two adapters are natively implemented OoB.

Last edited:
Don‘t forget that there is anyway also the standard version of this adapter, which also works OoB and has been advised by @mm2margaret already for monthes and extensively discussed in respective threads.

Which post? Must have missed it.

Anyway, good to know. As long as there is no need for kext patch and kexts I’m happy.

The regular version is only $10 cheaper but if it works OOB without mods that’s great.

Which post? Must have missed it.

Anyway, good to know. As long as there is no need for kext patch and kexts I’m happy.

The regular version is only $10 cheaper but if it works OOB without mods that’s great.

My bad.. I confused something and just modified post #2,230

The ASUS 10GB NIC indeed requires a kext patch, in order to avoid further firmware modifications by macOS. The Sybia does no need such kext patch either.

All adapters also the one you are advising now need the vanilla AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext natively implemented in macOS to work at all.

I will add both adapters working OoB under macOS to my guidelines. Many thanks for your findings :thumbup:

Last edited:
My bad.. I confused something and just modified post #2,230

The ASUS 10GB NIC indeed requires a kext patch, in order to avoid further firmware modifications by macOS. The Sybia does no need such kext patch either.

All adapters also the one you are advising now need the vanilla AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext natively implemented in macOS to work at all.

I will add both adapters working OoB under macOS to my guidelines. Many thanks for your findings :thumbup:

I wonder if anyone can use the firmware I just dumped to flash that Asus NIC with the same chipset...so we can finally get rid of the High Sierra work around :wave:

Reactions: kgp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back