Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 114
Thank you for the info. But I have a hopeless case. Neither the EFI/cmo of @applemacosxGOD nor the others helped: everytime the same KP. Win 10 1809 is running perfectly. My next step is to check my Setup with I9 9940X. I will report...

Hi @AsEvil - here is my short report: I changed the CPU from i9 9920X to i9 9940X - and now I have a nice system. I think the ASUS Deluxe II have a big problem with i9 9920X. Thank you all for your replies and your help.

First steps with a Sapphire Radeon VII under macOS 10.14.3 (18D42) and 10.14.3 SU (18D109)

Today, I encountered a unique opportunity to perform some dirty first steps and tests with a Sapphire Radeon VII under macOS 10.14.3 (18D42) and macOS 10.14.3 SU (18D109) on a friend's system here in Berlin.

1.) The first disappointing discovery independent from macOS was that this GPU for now apparently seems not compatible with UEFI. The BIOS enforced "CSM" by default otherwise the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe system would not have booted at all.

2.) Once under macOS 10.14.3, the Radeon VII was rather recognised by macOS like a Vega Frontier at first place, with only one DP1.4 port actually natively working.

3.) After applying just some cosmetics to SSDT-X299-Vega64.aml and implementing the latter in line with Whatevergreen.kext, the Radeon VII appeared under "About this Mac" such:

Thanks to SSDT-X299-Radeon-VII.aml (which is basically SSDT-X299-Vega64.aml), Radeon VII and Radeon VII HD-Audio PCI drivers also correctly popped-up in Section "PCI" of Apple's system Report as properly implemented and fully loaded:

In combination with Whatevergreen.kext, the three DP1.4 ports and the single HDMI port of the Sapphire Radeon VII also have been properly implemented in form of just four Radeon frame buffers + the respective HDAU device.

All four ports were fully functional, including display HotPlug and multi-monitor support. Also sleep/wake worked absolutely flawless.

The UI worked fluid without an issues or lag and also video playback fully worked as expected.

Now the bad news at least for macOS 10.14.3 (18D42) and macOS 10.14.3 SU (18D109):

All benchmark tools available, i.e. Cinebench OpenGL, Geekbench OpenGL and Metal, LuXMark OpenGL or Heaven and Valley were not able to find any GPU supporting OpenGL or Metal.

Thus, unfortunately under the above mentioned macOS versions, the Radeon VII seems yet not to support OpenGL or Metal so far.

Thought that this recent findings also might be interesting for others .. ;)

Last edited:
First steps with a MSI Radeon VII under macOS 10.14.3 (18D42) and 10.14.3 SU (18D109)

Now the bad news at least for macOS 10.14.3 (18D42) and macOS 10.14.3 SU (18D109):

All benchmark tools available, i.e. Cinebench OpenGL, Geekbench OpenGL and Metal, LuXMark OpenGL or Heaven and Valley were not able to find any GPU supporting OpenGL or Metal.

Thus, unfortunately under the above mentioned macOS versions, the Radeon VII seems yet not to support OpenGL or Metal so far.

View attachment 385888

It does for me, as I was considering purchasing it. It sounds like this might involve waiting just a bit.....too bad, I was very interested in seeing how this card would perform in macOS....oh well....

Reactions: kgp
It does for me, as I was considering purchasing it. It sounds like this might involve waiting just a bit.....too bad, I was very interested in seeing how this card would perform in macOS....oh well....

at least it appears to be very silent in IDLE... ;):lol:

I hope this Radeon VII is realy silent :D , the big step forward is the size of the X2 memory compared to the VEGA 64 and the memory frequency of the HBM2 at 2 GHz ;):thumbup:

Last edited:
It seems that @Maywitt is having KP issues with the 9920X, I wonder if he goes with the 9940X his problems will go away?

I9 9940X was my solution. 10.14.3 install without problems.

First steps with a MSI Radeon VII under macOS 10.14.3 (18D42) and 10.14.3 SU (18D109)

View attachment 385874

Today, I encountered a unique opportunity to perform some dirty first steps and tests with a MSI Radeon VII under macOS 10.14.3 (18D42) and macOS 10.14.3 SU (18D109) on a friend's system here in Berlin.

View attachment 385897

1.) The first disappointing discovery independent from macOS was that this GPU for now apparently seems not compatible with UEFI. The BIOS enforced "CSM" by default otherwise the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe system would not have booted at all.

2.) Once under macOS 10.14.3, the Radeon VII was rather recognised by macOS like a Vega Frontier at first place, with only one DP1.4 port actually natively working.

View attachment 385879

3.) After applying just some cosmetics to SSDT-X299-Vega64.aml and implementing the latter in line with Whatevergreen.kext, the Radeon VII appeared under "About this Mac" such:

View attachment 385880
Thanks to SSDT-X299-Radeon-VII.aml (which is basically SSDT-X299-Vega64.aml), Radeon VII and Radeon VII HD-Audio PCI drivers also correctly popped-up in Section "PCI" of Apple's system Report as properly implemented and fully loaded:

View attachment 385885

View attachment 385886

In combination with Whatevergreen.kext, the three DP1.4 ports and the single HDMI port of the MSI Radeon VII also have been properly implemented in form of just four Radeon frame buffers + the respective HDAU device.

View attachment 385887

All four ports were fully functional, including display HotPlug and multi-monitor support. Also sleep/wake worked absolutely flawless.

The UI worked fluid without an issues or lag and also video playback fully worked as expected.

View attachment 385888

Great job as usual mate, the fastest on this new card! Just a quick clarification: Metal and OpenCL aren’t viable on benchmarks alone or thi is a system wide OS level problem? In other words, Mojave accelerates GUI and apps via Metal or is broke? To test it maybe you could use FCP or any other software using Metal libraries, right?

I9 9940X was my solution. 10.14.3 install without problems.

Good to know! Glad you got it working. Maybe report to ASUS about this and they might fix it in a BIOS revision? (Not sure what their stance is on Hackintoshes, but maybe mention you're in Windows)

I really like the Prime Deluxe II, macOS for me seems much more stable than the Designare EX and I was never a fan of the Gigabyte BIOS even before mine got corrupted.

Last edited:
I hope this Radeon VII is realy silent :D , the big step forward is the size of the X2 memory compared to the VEGA 64 and the memory frequency of the HBM2 at 2 GHz ;):thumbup:

If you watch reviews on this card, it seems like it's very loud and AMD has added 2x more sensors than first gen Vega and now count the "Hot Spot" as Junction Temp that can reach a limit of 110c, which seems to hit very quickly on full load.

So once again, it seems watercooling is the best solution for any Vega to avoid annoying noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back