Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it would not harm to lower the max. turbo frequency to 4.4 or 4.3 GHz either, as your software apparently nearly never requests full CPU load. And by this you would be at the save side with respect to max. CPU temps.

Up to your taste, my friend ;)

EDIT: However, it might be important to mention that your current custom water blocking, when constantly running your i9-7900 at a max. frequency of 4.5 GHz, implies severe CPU temperature issues and can burn the CPU in the worst case, if the thermal throttling does not take place once. This should be a clear message for all guys reproducing your build and system configuration.

I was not convinced of the results, so I continued to do some tests, which left me puzzled:

The early setting of the fans was in "Silent" mode, if I try to set a mode other than silent and manual, the mobo returns an error at boot, somehow knows why? Using AiSuite in Windows, I can change the modes without problems

1) replace 3x Corsair LL120 in front with 2x140mm Phanteks (original case no PWM), run QFan Configuration and set in silent mode, corsair are noisier and removing the CPU temperature has been lowered by 3/4 degrees

2) Executed again the QFan Configuration and left the settings chosen by ASUS, the current temperatures are those of the screenshots (with 42 core limit and Auto)

Friday I should get 3xNoctua NF-A14 and 3xNoctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000, all PWM to do further tests

Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 10.21.54.png
Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 10.27.05.png

I was not convinced of the results, so I continued to do some tests, which left me puzzled:

The early setting of the fans was in "Silent" mode, if I try to set a mode other than silent and manual, the mobo returns an error at boot, somehow knows why? Using AiSuite in Windows, I can change the modes without problems

1) replace 3x Corsair LL120 in front with 2x140mm Phanteks (original case no PWM), run QFan Configuration and set in silent mode, corsair are noisier and removing the CPU temperature has been lowered by 3/4 degrees

2) Executed again the QFan Configuration and left the settings chosen by ASUS, the current temperatures are those of the screenshots (with 42 core limit and Auto)

Friday I should get 3xNoctua NF-A14 and 3xNoctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000, all PWM to do further tests

View attachment 383427View attachment 383428
The screenshot at left-hand side might still implement some thermal throttling and reduction of max. turbo freq. in consequence. The screenshot at the right-hand side looks fine, but your are still reaching 96 deg C at max. load.

I usually generate to respective fan curves directly and manually in the BIOS under "monitor"

The screenshot at left-hand side might still implement some thermal throttling and reduction of max. turbo freq. in consequence. The screenshot at the right-hand side looks fine, but your are still reaching 96 deg C at max. load.

I usually generate to respective fan curves directly and manually in the BIOS under "monitor"

I'm using Monitor -> QFan Monitoring -> "Fan Tuning"

Noctua 140mm just arrived, used 2 in Front Intake and 1 Rear Exhaust, other 4° lost.. I did not believe that the case fans could affect the temperature of liquid cooling so much, from 105° to 92°

So keeping the configuration of Asus Fan Tuning and removing the Corsair for the Noctua (case fans) I reduced the temperature by about 13 °, interesting

Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 14.20.14.png

Reactions: kgp
I'm using Monitor -> QFan Monitoring -> "Fan Tuning"

Noctua 140mm just arrived, used 2 in Front Intake and 1 Rear Exhaust, other 4° lost.. I did not believe that the case fans could affect the temperature of liquid cooling so much, from 105° to 92°

So keeping the configuration of Asus Fan Tuning and removing the Corsair for the Noctua (case fans) I reduced the temperature by about 13 °, interesting

View attachment 383494

Your latest results seem reasonable now and 92 deg C during CPU max. load of 4.5 Ghz is something you could live well with for now.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 7.06.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 7.06.08 PM.png
    458.5 KB · Views: 86
  • config.plist
    10.2 KB · Views: 129
@kgp is SSP6 supposed to have prt 2, prt3, prt4 similar to HS06?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 7.41.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 7.41.19 PM.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 87
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back