Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't tried this with a vega yet but the best way to quiet an air cooled card (IMHO and experience) is to remove the shroud and super thin fans and cool them with a pair of thick, oversized, Noctua fans. This is so much easier with an ITX motherboard since there aren't any other slots in the way. Time to get creative if you want quiet. I use Vegas not because I need a powerful GPU, I use them because they work better with the X299. So I turned to undervolting/underclocking. Tests this morning show it still heats up to 85c under full load for more than a couple of minutes. Time to slow it down some more.

Try using RAMALAMA-iMacPro-ASUS-R6E-XHCI-15port.kext and see respective guidelines. As you employ the Rampage VI Apex and not the Rampage VI Extreme, you might need to come up with a new board-specific fully implemented and truncated 15-port XHC USB kexts for the Rampage VI Apex, which I certainly would like to add to my XHC USB kext, once established.

Unfortunately I do not understand how to do it on my motherboard

It's too complicated for me

If you can do it on my motherboard
And of course it does not take much of your time

I'd love to pay for it

@izo1 I saw you're using a Deluxe II, I'm thinking to pull the trigger on a high end build. Did everything work fine for you following @kgp's guide? I'm also kinda hoping the Titan Ridge controller would be able to drive an LG Ultrafine 5K or whatever the next Apple monitor will be.

The installation of Prime X299 Deluxe has been successfully completed: everything works perfectly:
- both VEGA 56 work
- the PCIs of the current system are implemented
- the real improvement of the Prime X299 Deluxe is for example the control with the fan extension card of my eight Noctua fans and the water pump of my water-cooling system
- many options on the bios allow custom settings
I will perfect the settings in the next hours of installation, but the prospects of working with this build in the coming days are very promising.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-01-13 à 01.38.38.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-01-13 à 01.38.38.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
@izo1 I saw you're using a Deluxe II, I'm thinking to pull the trigger on a high end build. Did everything work fine for you following @kgp's guide? I'm also kinda hoping the Titan Ridge controller would be able to drive an LG Ultrafine 5K or whatever the next Apple monitor will be.

Works fine here. Actually seems a little more stable than my previous Designare EX (which was in use for about a year) and then it basically died due to BIOS issues.

I have not tried any TB3 devices yet, though.

It does have Titan Ridge, so it will be able to drive a DP1.4 TB3 monitor, but I haven't personally tried it.

Last edited:
Suggestion about water blocks and pump/Rads? I should have a reference PCB here!

I'm about to start using the EK-MLC line on my CPUs (moving from BeQuiet! 280mm Silent Loop) and Vega FE.

Unfortunately the 360mm rad was just discontinued along with the Vega waterblocks, but I was able to get the following from EKWB (they have great customer service):

1x 360mm EK-MLC Phoenix (either will run a loop for 2x Vega, or just the OC'd CPU)
1x 280mm EK-MLC Phoenix (CPU or single GPU)
2x Vega Acetal EK-MLC Phoenix waterblock
2x Backplates Acetal

Since the Radeon 7 is going to come out in a few weeks, I might move to that and get rid of the Vega waterblocks, if you're interested, let me know.

I'm about to start using the EK-MLC line on my CPUs (moving from BeQuiet! 280mm Silent Loop) and Vega FE.

Unfortunately the 360mm rad was just discontinued along with the Vega waterblocks, but I was able to get the following from EKWB (they have great customer service):

1x 360mm EK-MLC Phoenix (either will run a loop for 2x Vega, or just the OC'd CPU)
2x Backplates Acetal

Since the Radeon 7 is going to come out in a few weeks, I might move to that and get rid of the Vega waterblocks, if you're interested, let me know.

I could be really interested, since it’s the only way to get an aluminum block... MLC is all aluminum loop, so I cannot get a copper block due to galvanic corrosion!

I could be really interested, since it’s the only way to get an aluminum block... MLC is all aluminum loop, so I cannot get a copper block due to galvanic corrosion!

Yeah I spent some time researching this for a few months, and since I don't want to do a full open loop yet (sorry to sound like a broken record), this seemed like the best option.

I'm not worried about corrosion, I just want a system to last for a few years without me opening it up every few weeks, which I was doing with the Gigabyte mobo.

I was having some major issues with heat from the Skylake-X and the Vega, the fans kept ramping up and down for no reason, and I had to refill the BeQuiet! AIO because apparently the liquid had dried up. Now I hear air bubble sounds (which is fixable easily)...but small things like that really annoy me.

I'm hoping moving to a bigger case like the Evolv X will finally solve that issue with these bigger radiators and waterblocks.

2x Backplates Acetal

Nice config !

My build has become very quiet: at low CPU and VRM temp, I can allow some fans to shut down, the flow of the water pump is enough to cool the system.
If the temperature increases, the fans start gradually: nice improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back