Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok @izo1 I’ve done it! But I think it’s not a optimal solution!

@kabusikan i got no SSDT anymore ‘cause I deleted it a few days ago

Ok @izo1 I’ve done it! But I think it’s not a optimal solution!

Yep, there really isn’t a better way.

I don’t think SSDT will help you anyway.

That’s why I’m looking at cooling it in a closed loop with the fans controlled by mobo.

Yep, there really isn’t a better way.

I don’t think SSDT will help you anyway.

That’s why I’m looking at cooling it in a closed loop with the fans controlled by mobo.
Should I buy an air cooled Vega 64? Reference (blower fans) or custom (Gigabyte for 2 big fans and 3 x DP)?

Ok. Makes things easier for this test. ;)
Please try this attached kext with the fans connected to your card, if you like.

Attachments

• Vega_64_test.kext.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 51
Ok. Makes things easier for this test. ;)
Please try this attached kext with the fans connected to your card, if you like.

What have you done here? Just to know if I've already did the same before swapping my fans again from mobo to GPU! :)

Hi Elly,

many thanks for all further help and contributions. Although I am afraid that there are still a few inconsistencies within your kext and port-layout.pdf.

For the missing completion of the kexts, please use the 2 files attached below, which also contain a modified port-layout drawing that also might need still some completion form your side.

Inconsistencies:

All 4 upper USB back panel connectors seems to be USB3.0! I assume, that the first one is assigned to HS05/SSP5 (3) and the other three share HS06/SSP6 on a common bridge (255), as now implemented in the revised kexts. By not implementing HS06, like in your kext above, you would loose backwards compatibly to USB2.0 for all three port. Please verify and confirm. Else it could also be that the other three USB3.0 ports are assigned to HS06/SSP6, HS07/SSP7 and HS08/SSP8, which actually however might not be the case. Please verify and confirm.

Therefore, the verified fully implemented kext for the X299 GA Gaming 7 now implements at least 16 ports, while in the truncated 15-port kext, I removed HS09 to stay within Apples 15-port limit. Thus internal USB2.0 header F_USB_2 will now only work for connecting one single device when using the truncated 15-port kext.

Another remaining question is whether HS07, HS08 and HS13,HS14 are assigned to internal devices like AURA or are really not used by this motherboard and therefor can be dropped from the kext. Please verify.

All the best and many thanks for your patience,

KGP
I thought that you might mention something about the 4 ports hub USB 2.0/USB 3.0. I tested every possible scenarios and combinations with the HUB ( Except x4 USB 3.0, as I did not have enough USB 3.0 Drive to connect ). The results are identical. Only HS05/SS05 would post no matter what. Attached is a few screenshots with various configurations. ( Tested upon your guide recommendation, without Kext on Mojave 10.14.0 ). HS09/11 are connected respectively to Airport/Bluetooth Broadband Card & wireless keyboard.

In regards to the ports HS 06, HS07, HS08 and HS13,HS14. Even after connecting the Aura RGB Xtra Christmas lights, no connections ( with or without XHCI usb Kext ) seem to interfere with the ports. AFAIK, my USB kext is fully functional.
Thank you for your input/ feedback. They are well received.

Attachments

• X4 USB 2.0.png
    X4 USB 2.0.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 67
  • X2 USB 2.0:X2 USB 3.0.png
    X2 USB 2.0:X2 USB 3.0.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 67
  • X3 USB 3.0:X1 USB2.0.png
    X3 USB 3.0:X1 USB2.0.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 57
Should I buy an air cooled Vega 64? Reference (blower fans) or custom (Gigabyte for 2 big fans and 3 x DP)?

No, you can always convert yours into an actual open or larger rad closed loop. It’s the same PCB.

The problem is Vega runs hot and I don’t think 1x 120mm fan is enough for that thing. (At least to run the fans at low speeds).

The other issue is there might be an issue with the LC version of the card (the way the sensor reads the thermals) and then controls the fan.

If SSDT (ie capping the fan speed with VGTab) isn’t helping then you need to find another solution.

I’ll be connecting a Vega FE to either a 360mm rad or 280. Also the plan is to have a second GPU in the same loop.

Could you please upload your Vega SSDT?
I'd like to try something with it in addition to a kext and see if it changes anything on your card.

Did you try the SSDTVEGA56 from kgp repo : it works fine : the PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable is good and no fan issue with adding a <key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key> in the AMD10000Controller.kext info.plist

What have you done here?
I used the excel-sheet method and put in some values i think will be all right for testing if anything will change with your setup. No overclocks but only lower fan speeds.

The corresponding sheet can be found here (if not already known to you):
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...control-properties.267519/page-6#post-1884585

Although quite overwhelming at first, i think this excel-sheet is a nice alternative to the VGTab method as one can alter more values.

BTW: i'm also using Noctua fans (NF-A12x25) to cool my air cooled Vega 56.

Did you try the SSDTVEGA56 from kgp repo : it works fine : the PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable is good and no fan issue with adding a <key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key> in the AMD10000Controller.kext info.plist
Yes i used it and it works.
But for my needs i tweaked it to get lower temps by undervolting and a bit higher performance with higher HBM clocks.
As i'm not able to do any significant overclock to my CPU, at least the GPU has to be fiddled with. ;)
Also i needed to adjust my fan speeds to my needs as i am not using stock fans but two 12cm Noctuas. They are move more air with lower rpms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back