Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need help guys! My Vega 64 Liquid keeps its fan at 1500 rpm, I tried everything! VGTab (kext and SSDT) I also tried a Corsair ML and now I mounted a Noctua NF-AF12x25. Noctua is a lot more silent but I can still hear it at 1500! Reading about VGTab stuff it seems this app cannot handle watercooled version of Vega 64 or Vega Frontier and that's why the fan (probably) still stays at 1500rpm (stock idle speed) even If I set at much lower rpm in VGTab! I'm gettin mad at this! What should I do? Should I move to an air cooled card? Frontier Air? Vega 64 Air? Reference or Custom? Does anybody solved this issue someway?! Plz help!

@kgp any suggestion? You know have a Sapphire card, HDMIs work well? Should I prefer the Gigabyte (3xDP and 3xHDMI) since I got 3 x 4k monitors? Any indications about reference water-cooled Vegas?

Last edited:
Please be careful with BIOS firmware 1603. On some ASUS motherboards, it might destroy the XHCI ACPI table under macOS. In consequence all onboard USB2.0 and USb3.0 connectors/headers will be functionless. I would rather recommend to go for BIOS firmware version 1503, which also implements the MSR lock disable BIOS feature. If you already installed 1603 in the meanwhile and you face the above USB issues, please convert back to 1503. You might need several CMOS resets in addition. For flashing your motherboard exclusively use EZ Flashback. If you use 1603 and you face the above USB issues, also boot flag npci=0x2000 might help.

Good luck,

KGP

Wow
You are a champion!

Just the problem I encountered, you've solved it :)

The four USB3 front work 100%
The four rear USB3 do not work at all
And the four rear USB2 workers are standard

Currently it's okay for me, but if you have a solution I'd be happy to update you

Anyway, here are some photos from the installation after your guide

Thanks for everything
I really appreciate it!

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 11.37.06.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 11.38.50.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 11.30.15.png

Wow
You are a champion!

Just the problem I encountered, you've solved it :)

The four USB3 front work 100%
The four rear USB3 do not work at all
And the four rear USB2 workers are standard

Currently it's okay for me, but if you have a solution I'd be happy to update you

Anyway, here are some photos from the installation after your guide

Thanks for everything
I really appreciate it!

Try using RAMALAMA-iMacPro-ASUS-R6E-XHCI-15port.kext and see respective guidelines. As you employ the Rampage VI Apex and not the Rampage VI Extreme, you might need to come up with a new board-specific fully implemented and truncated 15-port XHC USB kexts for the Rampage VI Apex, which I certainly would like to add to my XHC USB kext, once established.

I really need help guys! My Vega 64 Liquid keeps its fan at 1500 rpm, I tried everything! VGTab (kext and SSDT) I also tried a Corsair ML and now I mounted a Noctua NF-AF12x25. Noctua is a lot more silent but I can still hear it at 1500! Reading about VGTab stuff it seems this app cannot handle watercooled version of Vega 64 or Vega Frontier and that's why the fan (probably) still stays at 1500rpm (stock idle speed) even If I set at much lower rpm in VGTab! I'm gettin mad at this! What should I do? Should I move to an air cooled card? Frontier Air? Vega 64 Air? Reference or Custom? Does anybody solved this issue someway?! Plz help!

@kgp any suggestion? You know have a Sapphire card, HDMIs work well? Should I prefer the Gigabyte (3xDP and 3xHDMI) since I got 3 x 4k monitors? Any indications about reference water-cooled Vegas?

Can you just connect the rad fan to the motherboard and cap the speeds?

Can you just connect the rad fan to the motherboard and cap the speeds?
How? Simply using a Chassis fan header tweaked to run, let's say, at 800rpms? In this case the GPU won't be able to ramp up fans if it gets hotter?!

How? Simply using a Chassis fan header tweaked to run, let's say, at 800rpms? In this case the GPU won't be able to ramp up fans if it gets hotter?!

Yes that’s what I used to do in my previous build. I had 2x 980Ti hybrids and I connected them to the chassis fans (doesn’t have to be chassis fans, as long as it’s not a water pump header) as pwm fans and capped them at under 1,000 rpm.

See if your mobo has a heat sensor next to the gpu , and let the pwm rad fan get the sensor data from that gpu sensor so it can automatically ramp up and down.

Yes that’s what I used to do in my previous build. I had 2x 980Ti hybrids and I connected them to the chassis fans (doesn’t have to be chassis fans, as long as it’s not a water pump header) as pwm fans and capped them at under 1,000 rpm.

See if your mobo has a heat sensor next to the gpu , and let the pwm rad fan get the sensor data from that gpu sensor so it can automatically ramp up and down.
My mobo got no GPU temp sensor at all, just CPU VRM PCH

I finally ordered the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe and took delivery today !

Three weeks ago, I bought a Msi X299 mobo , after installing Mojave and making the necessary adjustments to make my system fully functional. I started the new year with this build.
But suddenly, at the end of last week, I had a memory problem: with the XMP 1 profile enabled, only 24 out of 32 GB were recognized by the system and ours after only 16 GB: I tried to update with the latest bios and also different versions of the bios but no way out.
So I returned this mobo to Amazon ... end of Msi mobo story for me

And this time, i decided to get THE Asus Prime X299 Deluxe during sales period for only 299 € after rebate (the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II is too much $$ for me)

It's a nice day for me :

So let's go for the installation!

Last edited:
My mobo got no GPU temp sensor at all, just CPU VRM PCH
Just try no sensor and cap it at 1350 or something.

If it’s the stock fan it’ll be loud. If you can swap for a noctua or even a bequiet that would be better.

From my experience, these watercooled factory gpus have weird fan curves.

I’m in the process of water cooling my gpus and will custom control the fan speeds.

Unfortunately the Radeon VII was announced now I have to rethink the gpus again.

I really need help guys! My Vega 64 Liquid keeps its fan at 1500 rpm, I tried everything! (...) I'm gettin mad at this! What should I do?
Could you please upload your Vega SSDT?
I'd like to try something with it in addition to a kext and see if it changes anything on your card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back