Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I ripped out the Alienware Motherboard and replace it with a X299 Prime Deluxe. I am now going to proceed to install Mojave on my AlienMac with a ASUS ROG 1200 watt power supply, i9 7980XE, 32 GB 2666Mhz ram, 1 GB NVMe, GeForce GTX1080i.

Any recommendations are appreciated. I can't wait to have Mojave running!

Yes one recommendation, though. ;)

Sell your GTX1080i and change to Vega 56 or 64. The GTX1080i won't work under Mojave. Simply a no-go as there is no web driver.

Hi kgp,

Im Back With new x299 Build
I missed you :)

I have i9 9980xe
Rampage VI Apex
64GB Ram @3600 gskil
Vega f.e 16GB
(RTX 2080TI for later ;)
250gb NVME 960
1TB NVME 970
2x 1TB WD BLU NVME SSD

I did everything listed in your directory
But I'm stuck....

I dont see in my mobo
b.) MSR Lock Control:Disabled
But i chek in clover "kernel pm"

The message is attached to the picture

Is there a way around this?

c6ab0f1f-1363-4d29-ac36-054b4705b1eb.jpg

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-vii

Anyone else getting this? Release date Feb. 7

Most likely it will be added in the next iMac Pro update. Maybe even in 10.14.3 :thumbup:

I was going to get a 2nd Vega FE, but I think just getting one of these and selling the Vega FE will suffice.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-vii

Anyone else getting this? Release date Feb. 7

Most likely it will be added in the next iMac Pro update. Maybe even in 10.14.3 :thumbup:

I was going to get a 2nd Vega FE, but I think just getting one of these and selling the Vega FE will suffice.

I’ll be getting one once confirmed it works with Mac OS. I thought someone saw the driver for these in macOS update rescently...

Hi kgp,

I have i9 9980xe
Rampage VI Apex
64GB Ram @3600 gskil
Vega f.e 16GB
(RTX 2080TI for later ;)
250gb NVME 960
1TB NVME 970
2x 1TB WD BLU NVME SSD

I did everything listed in your directory
But I'm stuck....

I dont see in my mobo
b.) MSR Lock Control:Disabled
But i chek in clover "kernel pm"

Make sure BIOS is most current BIOS. Originally ASUS didn't include MSR Lock Control in the BIOS, but was added to more current BIOS after KGP requested for it. The most current version of the BIOS is Version 1602.

@kgp and all needing this ..
Please find attached, for your Github library, the fully implemented XHC USB Kext for X299 GA Gaming 7. All ports are implemented and verified.
Attached is also a comprehensive Map layout. Writing the ports layout via Rtf seemed redundant as the map is comprehensive.
Best,
Elly

Attachments

• USB LAYOUT X299 GA GAMING 7.pdf
    260.7 KB · Views: 163
  • EllyBz GA X299 Gaming 7 XHCI-15port.kext.zip
    255.9 KB · Views: 62
Make sure BIOS is most current BIOS. Originally ASUS didn't include MSR Lock Control in the BIOS, but was added to more current BIOS after KGP requested for it. The most current version of the BIOS is Version 1602.

you were right

I thought because I installed the new generation 9 processor
So the board was already up to date
But it turns out I was wrong :(

Now I was stuck in another area
But I'll try to solve it alone before I get a response

you were right

I thought because I installed the new generation 9 processor
So the board was already up to date
But it turns out I was wrong :(

Now I was stuck in another area
But I'll try to solve it alone before I get a response

Please be careful with BIOS firmware 1603. On some ASUS motherboards, it might destroy the XHCI ACPI table under macOS. In consequence all onboard USB2.0 and USb3.0 connectors/headers will be functionless. I would rather recommend to go for BIOS firmware version 1503, which also implements the MSR lock disable BIOS feature. If you already installed 1603 in the meanwhile and you face the above USB issues, please convert back to 1503. You might need several CMOS resets in addition. For flashing your motherboard exclusively use EZ Flashback. If you use 1603 and you face the above USB issues, also boot flag npci=0x2000 might help.

Good luck,

KGP

@kgp and all needing this ..
Please find attached, for your Github library, the fully implemented XHC USB Kext for X299 GA Gaming 7. All ports are implemented and verified.
Attached is also a comprehensive Map layout. Writing the ports layout via Rtf seemed redundant as the map is comprehensive.
Best,
Elly

Hi Elly,

many thanks for all further help and contributions. Although I am afraid that there are still a few inconsistencies within your kext and port-layout.pdf.

For the missing completion of the kexts, please use the 2 files attached below, which also contain a modified port-layout drawing that also might need still some completion form your side.

Inconsistencies:

All 4 upper USB back panel connectors seems to be USB3.0! I assume, that the first one is assigned to HS05/SSP5 (3) and the other three share HS06/SSP6 on a common bridge (255), as now implemented in the revised kexts. By not implementing HS06, like in your kext above, you would loose backwards compatibly to USB2.0 for all three port. Please verify and confirm. Else it could also be that the other three USB3.0 ports are assigned to HS06/SSP6, HS07/SSP7 and HS08/SSP8, which actually however might not be the case. Please verify and confirm.

Therefore, the verified fully implemented kext for the X299 GA Gaming 7 now implements at least 16 ports, while in the truncated 15-port kext, I removed HS09 to stay within Apples 15-port limit. Thus internal USB2.0 header F_USB_2 will now only work for connecting one single device when using the truncated 15-port kext.

Another remaining question is whether HS07, HS08 and HS13,HS14 are assigned to internal devices like AURA or are really not used by this motherboard and therefor can be dropped from the kext. Please verify.

All the best and many thanks for your patience,

KGP

Attachments

• EllyBz-iMacPro-GAX299G7- XHCI.kext.zip
    351.4 KB · Views: 49
  • EllyBz-iMacPro-GA-X299G7 XHCI-15port.kext.zip
    351.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back