Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the dumb questions but...How and where did you install EFI folder? In the hidden sub partition of the drive correct? See picture attached when EFI is mounted.
Edit: I used usb install for high sierra as an example..but it's the same process for all drives

It’s a good and well made board for sure. But I’ve always had weird BIOS issues with it. And lately basically every restart wiped the BIOS. Since it has dual BIOS it would get weird reboots and go into the backup bios and vice versa. Just a lot of headaches.

Since I didn’t have time to RMA and wait for a new board, I just went to a Microcenter and picked up the ASUS Prime Deluxe II. Which is a inferior made board (less features like less fan headers and no backplate or VRM fan). But it’s been rock solid now.

Will be RMAing the Designare and selling it.

The Asus has an onboard Titan Ridge and a heatpipe like the Designare so I’m happy.

Weird... I have no problems like that. I stuck with the original bios and original EFI you gave me for the most part. I'm still on 10.13.4. It all just works too well to mess with. I have Mojave on my Z370 and My macs. They just aren't sufficiently different to upgrade. Hearing your issues... I'll leave it be a while longer.

Weird... I have no problems like that. I stuck with the original bios and original EFI you gave me for the most part. I'm still on 10.13.4. It all just works too well to mess with. I have Mojave on my Z370 and My macs. They just aren't sufficiently different to upgrade. Hearing your issues... I'll leave it be a while longer.

To be fair, I've been flashing-reflashing and modding this system for about a year, maybe it's my fault for ruining the BIOS. But it definitely died on me and now I'm pretty happy with the ASUS (new gen) and it's future proof with TB3 Titan Ridge.

My EFI was definitely version 500 haha I spent so much time setting that thing up to perfect it. I would check the USB kext, though, I remember I made a few mistakes on the older EFI zip distribution. But if you have it up and running I wouldn't even touch it.

We have to remember that the X299 was a very rushed platform, as the Designare EX was a first revision mobo.

I was desperate to get the system up and running as my only backup system is an older iMac that's in my closet (I have sold my MacBook Pro), so I needed a mobo asap. Designare EX was not available anywhere nearby and it was $450 on Amazon with next day delivery, I figured I'll just get the Prime Deluxe II for $500 locally. Got it up and running in a few hours without major headaches (still tweaking, though).

Next step is to figure out the Vega cooler and grab a 9980XE and I'll be set for a while.

CES 2019 is happening in a few days, we'll find out what AMD has to offer...maybe there's good stuff around the corner GPU wise. I think NAVI will be announced (Polaris successor) but not sure about Vega 2.

Vega runs so hot it's ridiculous. For GTX1080 performance it has terrible efficiency. Hopefully AMD's move to 7nm will help that even though their GPUs aren't as efficient as NVIDIAs.

I do not want to have a custom water loop setup and deal with all the liquids and maintenance, I like to keep things as stock as possible.

Last edited:
UPDATE
The AppleALC V 1.3.4 form Link below works for me.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...da-realtek-audio.234729/page-146#post-1858452

@franksanderdo

I have a system similar to yours:

ASRock X299M Extreme 4
i7 7800X
RX Vega 56

Everything works, only audio via Apple AppleALC does not work. Audio over HDMI works, but not over analogue outpunts. And die Audio section is empty, except HDMI. Did you found a solution for that?

Enclosed my ioReg Save, PCI screenshot and EFI folder.

Hi @whynotzoidberg

thanks a lot for the hint.
I will check it tonight!

All the Best
Frank

@BoomR, my friend.. just found some very short time to fly over the recent posts along this thread.. therefore, just a few comments, suggestions from my site until I will disappear again until beginning of next year. ;)

Go for the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 if you want to use airflow cooling although there is also a possibility for custom water blocking (aliexpress) of this GPU. The Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 might be best controllable in terms of fan speed und noise level. There is a windows app you can download from their web site to change led colour or to switch off the onboard GPU leds completely. If you opt for custom water blocking, the MSI Vega 64 air boost also would be a perfect choice (EK custom water blocking available). No idea about its airflow fan behaviour though. The Gigabyte Vega 64 does have an optimal DP (3x) and HDMI (3x) port configuration, fan speed control and noise level regulation turned out to be tricky though. There is no option for custom water blocking of the latter GPU. In general I would recommend custom water blocking for all Vegas, if possible.

Hope this helps in taking your decisions.

Happy new year to all of you and until soon,

KGP
Hi @kgp

just quick info:
alphacool by now has a full size water block for the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 as well.

All the Best
Frank

Reactions: kgp
Hi @kgp

just quick info:
alphacool by now has a full size water block for the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 as well.

All the Best
Frank

I guess that one, right?

Screenshot 2019-01-06 at 13.35.37.png

https://www.alphacool.com/shop/graf...xos-gpx-amd-rx-vega-m05-mit-backplate-schwarz

Not very fancy though.. apparently does not feature any RGB LEDs.. But certainly faster and less problematic delivery here in Germany when compared with the water block of Aliexpress.

Strange landing seat

Attachments

• AMDRadeonVegaFrontierEdition_02.jpg
    AMDRadeonVegaFrontierEdition_02.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 52
I guess that one, right?

View attachment 377140

https://www.alphacool.com/shop/graf...xos-gpx-amd-rx-vega-m05-mit-backplate-schwarz

Not very fancy though.. apparently does not feature any RGB LEDs.. But certainly faster and less problematic delivery here in Germany when compared with the water block of Aliexpress.

I ordered this one but cancelled because I found it ugly. (The half closed loop one called Eisbaer/Eiswolf)

Went with the EKWB Phoenix half closed loop for a 280mm and a 240mm and a CPU block. (Most likely I will loop them all together when I get the Vega blocks)

The Vega blocks are end of life, I really need to get one. Will try calling EK Monday.

They’re actually having an amazing sale on these and other items for 40% off right now until Monday.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/ek-mlc

EEC67AD7-EA1C-40D3-9238-95401D771982.jpeg

PS after doing some research people do have leaking issues with it, but I’ll take my chances. I like danger :headbang:

Maybe one day all gpus and cpus will run so cool that we can use air cooling and not worry about water :lol:

Or I can stop being lazy and actually go full open loop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back