Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
KGP, I have a X299 Alienware Area 51 R4 w/ i9 7980XE, 32 GB ram, etc. Do you think I could install Mojave or should I dump the Alienware MSI mb and replace it with a Asus X299 Deluxe?

Thanks, John

Why don‘t you just give it simply a try, John?

Why don‘t you just give it simply a try, John?
OK, I will. I will follow your instructions as close as possible. I have not built a hackintosh since '14. It was a i7 4930K on a Rampage Black Edition. It was solid for several years. I hope I can have success with the Alienware!

Reactions: kgp
OK, I will. I will follow your instructions as close as possible. I have not built a hackintosh since '14. It was a i7 4930K on a Rampage Black Edition. It was solid for several years. I hope I can have success with the Alienware!

All the best on your way :thumbup:

I just did a clean install of Mojave on my machine and it has been panic-free for a while now, with no VoodooHD crackling. Also the system is as smooth as it can get with the AMD GPU. Thanks a ton @kgp, @Ellybz, @P1LGRIM, @Gogeta-Blue

I could confirm that upgrading from bios 1301 to bios 1503 didn't broke my usb ports as before.
This time I performed a CMOS reset via jumper.

Reactions: kgp
I would love to get a iMac Pro module which I believe has BT 5.0 and the latest and fastest AC standard. But they are too custom and not available anywhere, unless someone figured out a way to use them (I believe they are soldered on their board).
The new 2018 Mac Mini also includes a BT 5.0/WiFi module, but is from a different manufacturer than the iMac Pro BT 5.0/WiFi module. Unfortunately, it's also soldered.

The new 2018 Mac Mini also includes a BT 5.0/WiFi module, but is from a different manufacturer than the iMac Pro BT 5.0/WiFi module. Unfortunately, it's also soldered.

Hi @rugula

Do you have more information on the module?
Which manufacturer and which chipset?

Even though it is lowered in the mini, there are (probably small) chances to find a separate module as well.

All the Best
Frank

Hi @rugula

Do you have more information on the module?
Which manufacturer and which chipset?

Even though it is lowered in the mini, there are (probably small) chances to find a separate module as well.

All the Best
Frank

Apple has been customizing everything on their products for many years now after 2015, wouldn’t be surprised if the Mac mini module is a completely custom sku.

On the ifixit teardown it says it’s this module:

Murata 339S00458 Wi-Fi / Bluetooth module

From a quick search it seems to be an iPhone 6s Wi-Fi module. They probably got huge orders in bulk and for cheap.

There’s is good news about the i9 consumer chips like the 9900k though. Intel has now integrated the USB3.1 controller and the wifi module in Z390 chipsets, so if Apple starts using this CPU, which is likely to show up in the 2018 iMac, we will see some Intel Wi-Fi module support in macOS. But then again I’m speculating, but wouldn’t be surprised if this happens.

Apple has been customizing everything on their products for many years now after 2015, wouldn’t be surprised if the Mac mini module is a completely custom sku.

On the ifixit teardown it says it’s this module:

Murata 339S00458 Wi-Fi / Bluetooth module

From a quick search it seems to be an iPhone 6s Wi-Fi module. They probably got huge orders in bulk and for cheap.

There’s is good news about the i9 consumer chips like the 9900k though. Intel has now integrated the USB3.1 controller and the wifi module in Z390 chipsets, so if Apple starts using this CPU, which is likely to show up in the 2018 iMac, we will see some Intel Wi-Fi module support in macOS. But then again I’m speculating, but wouldn’t be surprised if this happens.

Hi @izo1

as far as I can find, the murata module is based on a Broadcom chipset.

It would be a dream to see apple using intel wifi/bt chipsets. Only there might be quite some stock on Broadcom modules wich have to be used first :eek:
I am not sure if apple needs to use the Z390 chipset, is that the only one that works with the 9900 series CPUs?

All the Best
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back