Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends,

From today, I will be on holidays and hardly able to connect for some days.

Enjoy, have fun and thanks for your patience,

View attachment 364318
Good news mate! it worked!! Yay! Thanks a ton mate! have an awesome holiday!

Thank you very much mate! just need a little guidance that's all. let me try to do what you mentioned. I shall report back, hopefully with some good news.

Thank you again for your time, patients and effort. ✌️

IT WORKED!! thanks a tonn! HDEF and card fully recognised! going to add the rest!

Hi @KJBHackNewbie

It is not really that difficult.
On the Hardware side the main skill requirements are:
a) knowing what a screwdriver is
b) some patience

On the Software side you only have to follow the guide @kgp prepared ;)

As an example use my system:
Day 1:
- unpacking and pre testing of the components (1 hour)
- installing everything in the case (4 hour)
Day 2:
- preparing the boot USB stick (3 hours)
I should have done the macOS download the day before :crazy:
This way I was watching a movie apr. 2h of the 3 :lol:
Day 3:
- adjusting the bios according to guide (1 hour)
I had to search for some of the settings as my boards bios is quit different to the guide.
- Booting from the USB stick and installing macOS (1/2 hour+)
I am not sure how long the installation took as I only started it and then went to bed
Day 4-...: every day apr. 1 hour to work through Section E of the guide
I loved the fact that I had a working machine which I could improve every day a little bit. Some days I did use it for other things and some days (latest when I needed some positive results before day end :)) I implement one more step from Section E.

long story short:
Don't worry to much, try it ;)

All the best
Frank
MY friend this just may happen.

X299 SAGE works great for me on High Sierra... I use it extensively for film editing, grading and mastering (short ficition, feature documentaries, TV reality etc)... So serious work :) And I don't have any problems. Most of the time it is rendering from DaVinci or Adobe Media Encoder without issues. Much more stable than 2013 Mac Pro trashcan I was using previously. MP is currently sitting in my editing room, waiting to be sold.

I still use local storage, so I can't comment od 10G speeds... Or Vega cards. 2x GTX 1080 TI works great for me.

Regarding hard drives - I format all my drives as HFS+. But I deal with a lot of NTFS drives and they work without problems with Paragon software ( I have both extFS and NTFS drivers from Paragon because of DCP mastering).

Great to know, I'm really torn appart on two things on this build :

1) On one side is the motherboard, the SAGE has different releases using two different chipsets, the X299 and the C422. The ones with the C422 have 10G networking which is nice definitely BUT, is the chipset as compatible as the X299 ? Does it allow the use of the GC Thunderbolt card ? Is that the reason why djlild7hina is forced to run the card on port two and use a Reiser cable ? Why I ask this is because I've done difficult builds in the past (part of the dual xeon builds movement, with the Asus Z9PE and the Supermicro X9DAi) and this time I want to be cool and just ride along ;) .

2) My second concern is the GPU side of things... which I must say on the hackintosh scene has become complicated. I already have a Vega 64 running here, so my go to choice would be buy a second one and have two GPUs for computing (mainly editing, vfx, grading). But as you know some software is heavily optimised for OpenCL (now deprecated on Mojave), some for CUDA (we all know the situation with Nvidia and we don't know what is gonna happen), and of course Metal. We already saw that when something is optimised for Metal things tend to fly... but will the trend continue ? What happens with all the things that where optimised for OpenCL now ? I must say the choice isn't that easy... as I would like to have the most optimised and streamlined machine possible, it's a headache, the tradeoffs are a pain in the neck so I'm curious on your opinion, my experience with Nvidia on my last rigs is that cards where underused due to bad drivers, poor optimisation, etc.

Software I use ranges from Adobe Suite to Nuke, Resolve/Fusion, and 3D Rendering on Cinema 4D.

Thanks for the advice and great tinkering fellas,

A.

No, C422 chipset is not as compatible as X299. It's not clear why, but this apple-native chipset needs some kernel patches for the CPUPM including the FakeCPUID as if it were a Celeron or Pentium. The rest is similar to X299 including TB, graphics, sounds. etc...
1) On one side is the motherboard, the SAGE has different releases using two different chipsets, the X299 and the C422. The ones with the C422 have 10G networking which is nice definitely BUT, is the chipset as compatible as the X299 ? Does it allow the use of the GC Thunderbolt card ? Is that the reason why djlild7hina is forced to run the card on port two and use a Reiser cable ? Why I ask this is because I've done difficult builds in the past (part of the dual xeon builds movement, with the Asus Z9PE and the Supermicro X9DAi) and this time I want to be cool and just ride along ;) .

No, C422 chipset is not as compatible as X299. It's not clear why, but this apple-native chipset needs some kernel patches for the CPUPM including the FakeCPUID as if it were a Celeron or Pentium. The rest is similar to X299 including TB, graphics, sounds. etc...

That's what I was thinking... guess I will stick to the regular X299 version then to avoid all that mess... which in my experience tend to hurt stability and performance.

Thank you for the information.

Great to know, I'm really torn appart on two things on this build :

I would go with X299 with 10G. From your post it seems like you have to go C422 for 10G, which is not the case.

anyone got the intel I211VA ethernet to work with WoL feature ? it looks like after a shutdown the ethernet port is complete dead. If i do . a shutdown from windows i can wake it up with the WoL magic packet but not on the MAC side.

Trying to use IFTTT and google assistant to wake up computer. I got the shutdown to work and could share it if someone wants it.

anyone got the intel I211VA ethernet to work with WoL feature ? it looks like after a shutdown the ethernet port is complete dead. If i do . a shutdown from windows i can wake it up with the WoL magic packet but not on the MAC side.

Trying to use IFTTT and google assistant to wake up computer. I got the shutdown to work and could share it if someone wants it.

Honestly by reading the above I get totally lost and I do not know at all what is really the issue.

1.) In fact I don't use any of the 1GB controllers now and before I never verified WoL under macOS and I therefore I also don't know whether or not this feature would work at all under macOS. If it doesn't, it might not work for both 1GB onboard LAN controllers (219 and 211).

2.) Else, see recommendations by ASUS:

Steps to enable Wake On LAN in the BIOS

1. BIOS -> Advanced
  2. APM Configuration
  3. Power On By PCI-E/PCI -> Enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back