Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have mojave system to try, but I saw many of you have this new usb issue, this might help!

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/335018-intel-fb-patcher-v157/?do=findComment&comment=2644489

I don't see how this approach can work for X99 and X299 mainboards. There are no unused ports.

I already implemented in all my macOS 10.14 Mojave guides a fully working workaround and I also just updated my XHC USB kext creation guideline in the spirit of the actual 10.14.1 com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI USB port limit kernel patch flaw.

This of course only for those who are interested.

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
I would go for the LG 5K2K if you can.. Thus none of the monitors you have in mind..

I've checked retail availability for it and it seems to be available at lower than MSRP (10% lower).

Regarding the motherboard:
A brief inspection of the updated X299 Deluxe board suggests the TB3 header is gone from the motherboard. Therefore, adding a new card by means of a PCI-E slot is no longer possible. Considering this, I think the X299 Deluxe 1 would be a safer bet in terms of updating in the future? Or are these headers not backwards compatible? Please advise. Thank you.

Source reference image: https://www.asus.com/media/global/gallery/endbuZ55J5BkRYjx_setting_fff_1_90_end_1000.png

I've checked retail availability for it and it seems to be available at lower than MSRP (10% lower).

Regarding the motherboard:
A brief inspection of the updated X299 Deluxe board suggests the TB3 header is gone from the motherboard. Therefore, adding a new card by means of a PCI-E slot is no longer possible. Considering this, I think the X299 Deluxe 1 would be a safer bet in terms of updating in the future? Or are these headers not backwards compatible? Please advise. Thank you.

Source reference image: https://www.asus.com/media/global/gallery/endbuZ55J5BkRYjx_setting_fff_1_90_end_1000.png

Yea.. but you have the onboard Titan Ridge controller (that's why there is also no TB3 header), although I am not able to find the DP1.4 OUT connector ASUS is talking about at the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II page. A missing TB3 header might be the drawback of any motherboard with an onboard TB solution, as it makes it resistent against future TB technology improvements.

And in principle you also a have an onboard 5GB NIC, or is the latter a PCI extension? Unfortunately a bottle neck anyway within a likely 10GB ethernet home network solution.

Why they implemented three M.2 slots and dropped one entire X16 PCIe Slot, only ASUS knows, especially as they also advertise the VROCK NVME (4 NVMEs) extension in line with the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II. Maybe the drop of one entire X16-lost is just 44 PCIe lane limit related.

Anyway, I would have located the M.2 slot below the X4 Slot-2 right above the X4 Slot-2. Slot-2 is anyway basically lost, given the majority of 2-slot GPU solutions.

I have the ws X299 sage and have tried the 10g version and they are both compatible with the guide. Works great only ssdt implementation is different

Are you happy with it ? is it rock solid ? since this is going to be a build purely for work (editing / vfx / grading) I really need to have something super stable.

I'm planning to stick in there two Vega 64, guess there is no major roadblock in there either right ? Also regarding the TB card needing the use of Windows. My experience with Windows since I need to read HFS+ drives over windows and NTFS on MacOS, is that either one of the two ends up messing up the other OS drive. Any idea how to avoid the OSes to break each other ?

Thank you for all the insight, if this can be easily fixed, then I think I will take the plunge... can't wait more on the goodwill of Apple releasing the Mac Pro and the Mac Mini with eGPU + crap ton of accessories plugged everywhere is a no go too (plus de CPU/RAM combo isn't enough for me).

Are you happy with it ? is it rock solid ? since this is going to be a build purely for work (editing / vfx / grading) I really need to have something super stable.

I'm planning to stick in there two Vega 64, guess there is no major roadblock in there either right ? Also regarding the TB card needing the use of Windows. My experience with Windows since I need to read HFS+ drives over windows and NTFS on MacOS, is that either one of the two ends up messing up the other OS drive. Any idea how to avoid the OSes to break each other ?

Thank you for all the insight, if this can be easily fixed, then I think I will take the plunge... can't wait more on the goodwill of Apple releasing the Mac Pro and the Mac Mini with eGPU + crap ton of accessories plugged everywhere is a no go too (plus de CPU/RAM combo isn't enough for me).

I’m in the process of selling my motherboards (Original Sage and Rampage VI Extreme) and will be using the Sage/10G. I haven’t had any issues with the sage boards and 10g works now oob with some additional kexts. I know @cloudconnected666 also has a sage/10g so he can give you his thoughts. He’s using two nvidia cards I only have one vega card so can’t comment. I don’t have any thunderbolt devices yet but usb-c and display HotPlug works with mine once you initialize the card in windows. Recommend the Gigabyte Titan Ridge as per the guide. I usually format an external drive to exFAT if I need to transfer data between windows or Mac or I just use my NAS. It’s been a while since I used hfs+ drivers for windows or ntfs drivers for Mac but I avoid them

Couple minor quirks about the sage. There’s only one internal usb 3 header and no usb 2. I had to buy a usb 3 pci card with an internal header for some additional USB ports.
The thunderbolt card can only be installed in slot 2 and the lanes came from the PCH. That makes the slots become 16x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x. I have my vega in slot one with a pci riser and vertical gpu mount since it’s a dual slot card

Last edited:
Thus, in total we have now 15 implemented HS and SS ports and we just stay within the 15 USB port limit. In the truncated KGP-iMacPro-XHCI-15port.kext attached below, I removed HS01, HS02, SS01, SS02 (assigned to the internal USB3.0 header U31G1_34) and HS12 (assigned to the most left USB2.0 connector on the back panel of the mainboard) from the kext. By this, all other USB2.0 and USB3.0 ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe onboard connectors remain fully functional. Alternatively, one could also drop e.g. HS03, HS04, SS03, SS04 (assigned to the internal USB3.0 header U31G1_12) and either HS09, HS10 or HS11 from KGP-iMacPro-XHCI.kext. Up to your personal taste.

I have updated the info.plist from the kext and removed HS03, HS04, SS03, SS04 , and HS12. My front header USB still isn't working (It's connected to HS01,HS02,SS01,SS02 where i set the first 2 ports to be USB 2.0 and the latter 3.0) . Do I have to disable the removed port from BIOS as well? Is there any setting in Clover that I must check? Thanks.

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.4 KB · Views: 148
  • KGP-iMacPro-XHCI.kext.zip
    1 KB · Views: 72
I have updated the info.plist from the kext and removed HS03, HS04, SS03, SS04 , and HS12. My front header USB still isn't working (It's connected to HS01,HS02,SS01,SS02 where i set the first 2 ports to be USB 2.0 and the latter 3.0) . Do I have to disable the removed port from BIOS as well? Is there any setting in Clover that I must check? Thanks.

Why don't you simply use my 15-port truncated kext attached at the end of my guide?

Note that the USBConnector Number of all HS ports associated to USB3.0 connectors must be "3", while the USBConnector Number of all HS ports associated to USB2.0 connectors must be "0" or "255", where "3" means USB3.0 and "0" and "255" respectively stay for USB2.0 external and internal. I guess there was a basic misunderstand at your side. After considering this respective rule, both of your USB3.0 front panel connectors connected to the internal USB3.0 connector (associated with the HS01,HS02,SS01,SS02 ports) should fully work as long you else removed in total 5 HS/SS ports to stay within the 15-port USB limit.

Anyway, I currently still face issues with one out of two front USB3.0 front panel connectors, connect to the internal USB3.0 (HS01,HS02,SS01,SS02) connector, although everything is properly set in my kext. I still have to investigate why this issue happens on my particular system.

Please let me know whether or not after considering the mandatory USBConnector Number nomenclature above, also both of your front panel USB3.0 connectors work as expected.

X299 SAGE works great for me on High Sierra... I use it extensively for film editing, grading and mastering (short ficition, feature documentaries, TV reality etc)... So serious work :) And I don't have any problems. Most of the time it is rendering from DaVinci or Adobe Media Encoder without issues. Much more stable than 2013 Mac Pro trashcan I was using previously. MP is currently sitting in my editing room, waiting to be sold.

I still use local storage, so I can't comment od 10G speeds... Or Vega cards. 2x GTX 1080 TI works great for me.

Regarding hard drives - I format all my drives as HFS+. But I deal with a lot of NTFS drives and they work without problems with Paragon software ( I have both extFS and NTFS drivers from Paragon because of DCP mastering).

There are not even rumours that web drivers would be released within some reasonable time. I rather seems that Nvidia engineers have not even started yet with the web driver development for Mojave and are rather waiting for a desired collaboration with Apple.

Go for a Vega if you can..
Hey @kgp Hope you are well mate :) I've just ordered my self a Sapphire RX 580. tired of the Nvidia blues :) should be expected to come soon! nothing like a OOB graphics card :p. but now im not sure if I should move up to Mojave with the usb issues?

Whats your advice?

Hey @kgp Hope you are well mate :) I've just ordered my self a Sapphire RX 580. tired of the Nvidia blues :) should be expected to come soon! nothing like a OOB graphics card :p. but now im not sure if I should move up to Mojave with the usb issues?

Whats your advice?

Can you still change your order to a Vega 56 or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back