Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just looked like they were trying to accommodate us in these latest versions.

I have never been told or informed that our X299 approach suddenly would become part of UB/MB, which would make my guides, work and support obsolete at some point.

almost definitely.

however, I found that the main issue wasn't the card by itself (as most of the BCM cards the chipset is shielded) but the antenna cables going from the cards to the antenna.

Have you tried to simply wrap those in aluminium foil?
or use shield sleeves like this? https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-sleeves/2445152/
The OSXWifi card I got, the cables weren't shielded at all, and the sleeve was a fabric based one.

Another thing you could try is to twist the antenna cables together if length permit or use a toroid at the end of the cables with a few turns of cable around.

Great info, thank you.

Going to try the sleeves first before a new PCIe card.

Are you specifically talking about the small antenna cables going to the bracket that needs shielding?

Will order sleeves, seems like a cleaner solution.

If this is really the problem, maybe I will try shielding the M.2 onboard mod cables, maybe I can finally get rid of OSXWifi if this fixes the issue.

Great info, thank you.

Going to try the sleeves first before a new PCIe card.

Are you specifically talking about the small antenna cables going to the bracket that needs shielding?

Will order sleeves, seems like a cleaner solution.

If this is really the problem, maybe I will try shielding the M.2 onboard mod cables, maybe I can finally get rid of OSXWifi if this fixes the issue.

Odd, I have no issues at all with the airport card and adapter. maybe the mac card has better shielding?

Odd, I have no issues at all with the airport card and adapter. maybe the mac card has better shielding?

Apple shields them pretty well in real Macs, if you look at some breakdowns.

The issue is interference with Bluetooth, which is on the overburdened 2.4Ghz band...Wifi works fine, especially on the 5Ghz band.

I can't walk longer than a few feet away from the Hackintosh without the BT headphones dropping packets, which is definitely related to interference.

I use OSXWifi which is a Broadcom card that comes out from Apple devices, and also another one...same issue for both.

Apple shields them pretty well in real Macs, if you look at some breakdowns.

The issue is interference with Bluetooth, which is on the overburdened 2.4Ghz band...Wifi works fine, especially on the 5Ghz band.

I can't walk longer than a few feet away from the Hackintosh without the BT headphones dropping packets, which is definitely related to interference.

I use OSXWifi which is a Broadcom card that comes out from Apple devices, and also another one...same issue for both.

Hi @izo1

I might add to the shielding also the antenna position and or the case plays a role.
With the card I have running here (3 external antennas on the back) I had no issues in my old case.
After I swapped everything into a new / smaller case, I needed some time to figure how I have to set the angles on those external antennas to have BT working. My guess is that the old (pretty massive aluminum) case was shielding the card from the antennas better than the new case.

All the Best
Frank

Hi @izo1

I might add to the shielding also the antenna position and or the case plays a role.
With the card I have running here (3 external antennas on the back) I had no issues in my old case.
After I swapped everything into a new / smaller case, I needed some time to figure how I have to set the angles on those external antennas to have BT working. My guess is that the old (pretty massive aluminum) case was shielding the card from the antennas better than the new case.

All the Best
Frank

Thanks for that.

I have tried 3-4 types of antennas, and currently using wired ones that are stacked on top of my desk (I've tried many positions).

I ordered some anti-interference cable shields and it should be coming next week to test.

It's definitely interference that causes drop outs with BT headphones.

On real macs, I've never really had any bluetooth issues. I could walk away 15 feet from my MacBook Pro and it would still play without drop outs.

Thanks for that.

I have tried 3-4 types of antennas, and currently using wired ones that are stacked on top of my desk (I've tried many positions).

I ordered some anti-interference cable shields and it should be coming next week to test.

It's definitely interference that causes drop outs with BT headphones.

On real macs, I've never really had any bluetooth issues. I could walk away 15 feet from my MacBook Pro and it would still play without drop outs.
Hi @izo1

yep I agree.
I am playing here with some wifi / BT modules and learned that interference and antenna design go may times very close together. I am playing right now with laptop internal antennas to learn what the different designs do.

See you around
Frank

Yes 10.14.1 here, let me know if updating to beta solves the issue. Thanks!

10.14.2 beta (18C52a) seems to have resolved the issue. Since updating on Friday evening, I haven't seen the GPU core clock stay on max frequency.

Edit: Aaaand it's back on the max frequency. Maybe it is just not happening as often as before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back