Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ah, I see! So you think my boot problems is not related to this particular GPU ? It will not help me if I buy the same card KGP has ?
Looked at your other post. EFI Folder didn't have Lilu and Whatevergreen Kexts. Start there.

It uses an Intel 8260 M.2 WiFi device, so no: there are no macOS drivers, unfortunately.
So what's the point then to suggest it for a hackintosh build?

So what's the point then to suggest it for a hackintosh build?
Sorry, the Intel WiFi controller isn't made particularly clear on Amazon's product page. Although, it may still be possible to simply replace the Intel module with a compatible Airport Xtreme or Broadcom module. Many new & used Broadcom modules are available on eBay, aliexpress.com, etc.
I only use a wired ethernet internet connection, so don't personally have a need for WiFi in a desktop machine.
Apple includes newer brand types of WiFi/Bluetooth 5.0 modules in both the iMacPro and the 2018 MacMini.
Whether those newer type WiFi controllers are made available in PCIe card form factors, remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Looked at your other post. EFI Folder didn't have Lilu and Whatevergreen Kexts. Start there.
They aren't required for a successful boot though.

They only help for some multi-display configuration. So those two aren't what is preventing his system to boot.

@kgp gave clear instructions on how to create a boot disk, instructions that give some specifics mod required for the x299 chipset. he chose not to follow those steps.

awesome work!!!

Certainly works just fine with my m.2 adapter and the mac broadcom card plugged in place of the original wifi: both the Apple BT trackpad and a keyboard even work in the BIOS.

I no longer have any interference either since I stopped using the OSXWIFI antennas and used the cables from the original wifi card to the outside header.
BT works brilliantly now, no more cut out with BT headset etc.

What was the card you were using?

And what antennas are you using?

Also what BT headphone was it and do you get cut-outs when you start moving a few feet away from the antennas?

Because I tried everything and I still had issues.

OSXWifi for me (BT) is more stable, but still get cutouts when I start walking away from the antennas (I tried a few types of antennas).

What was the card you were using?

And what antennas are you using?

Also what BT headphone was it and do you get cut-outs when you start moving a few feet away from the antennas?

Because I tried everything and I still had issues.

OSXWifi for me (BT) is more stable, but still get cutouts when I start walking away from the antennas (I tried a few types of antennas).

Card: BCM943602CS
Antenna: the two that cames with the ASROCK motherboard and one that came with the OSXWIFI card. The two original antennas are rather small, when using the 6dB gain one that came with the OSXWIFI card it made no measurable difference.

I have two BT headsets: Sennheiser momentum m2 OTE and Sony WH-1000XM3

I can go about 10 metres from the pc before it starts cutting out. I never have cut-out while sitting next to it.

The key was to use the shield that came with the original intel wifi card, though due to the size of the BCM943602CS it obviously doesn't fit fully. Then to use the two 3cm long cables that goes from the card to the rear header panel. I made sure to use the shortest one for the BT connector (I documented here which one was used for the BT output, IIRC it's P3).
For the 3rd antenna, as the original wifi card only had 2, I used a much longer cable (about 20cm long) that goes from the card to the OSXWIFI original connector.

I have now absolute confidence that my original issues were due to poor shielding between the cards and the antenna. Since I've shielded the card + antenna cable + connectors, it's been brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Card: BCM943602CS
Antenna: the two that cames with the ASROCK motherboard and one that came with the OSXWIFI card. The two original antennas are rather small, when using the 6dB gain one that came with the OSXWIFI card it made no measurable difference.

I have two BT headsets: Sennheiser momentum m2 OTE and Sony WH-1000XM3

I can go about 10 metres from the pc before it starts cutting out. I never have cut-out while sitting next to it.

The key was to use the shield that came with the original intel wifi card, though due to the size of the BCM943602CS it obviously doesn't fit fully. Then to use the two 3cm long cables that goes from the card to the rear header panel. I made sure to use the shortest one for the BT connector (I documented here which one was used for the BT output, IIRC it's P3).
For the 3rd antenna, as the original wifi card only had 2, I used a much longer cable (about 20cm long) that goes from the card to the OSXWIFI original connector.

I have now absolute confidence that my original issues were due to poor shielding between the cards and the antenna. Since I've shielded the card + antenna cable + connectors, it's been brilliant.

Thanks for the info. It's definitely to do with the shielding on the card, maybe I should put some type of shielding material around the onboard wifi mod (any ideas what material I could use?)...it is inside of the small casing, but that didn't seem to help much.

I guess I will give this another go, I had kind of given up on BT after failing a few times. It would be nice to completely take out the OSXWifi card and have a cleaner system. :confused:

Also are you able to use a BT mouse/keyboard during BIOS boot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. It's definitely to do with the shielding on the card, maybe I should put some type of shielding material around the onboard wifi mod (any ideas what material I could use?)...it is inside of the small casing, but that didn't seem to help much.

I guess I will give this another go, I had kind of given up on BT after failing a few times. It would be nice to completely take out the OSXWifi card and have a cleaner system. :confused:

I can't tell you how happy I was when I found out that it fixed all my problems, I had just started to find a way to use two BT cards at once. So I would have used the BT headset with the BT USB dongle, and the trackpad and keyboard with the BCM one.
unfortunately while it's something doable on Windows, couldn't find a way in macOS.

I made sure the little metal case used for shielding covered both the wifi card and the small antenna wire. I'd say any meta sheet will do, maybe even aluminium foil. Just be careful with shorts.
Me I put scotch tape first, then the metal shield just to be safe.

Also are you able to use a BT mouse/keyboard during BIOS boot?

Yes. There's a small delay for the connection to occur when you move the mouse or type a key, but it works just fine.

That card uses Bluetooth 4.0.
Another Amazon listed device upgrades the version to Bluetooth 4.2, and priced another 50% less:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713RRZMB/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Edit: it uses an Intel 8260 M.2 WiFi device, so there would be no macOS drivers for it, unfortunately.

An Amazon comment (dated December 2, 2015) also lists these additional:

Can i use this for a hackintosh build?
Answer:
For hackintosh Apple OS-X the following are known to work Vanilla out of the box.
No additional software or kexts to install.
1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B00P0QAU36
2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713RRZMB/?tag=tonymacx86com-20/B00TQEX7AQ
3) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713RRZMB/?tag=tonymacx86com-20/B007GMPZ0A
4) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713RRZMB/?tag=tonymacx86com-20/B00BXAXO7C

#4 is a USB 3.0 module that doesn't require a PCIe slot.

I always just use a macbook air card with BT and AC wifi in an adapter. Always under $40 and always works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back