Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply put if i had the skill I would built this. Its a few bucks but amazing systems specs. Thanks for posting it.
Hi @KJBHackNewbie

It is not really that difficult.
On the Hardware side the main skill requirements are:
a) knowing what a screwdriver is
b) some patience

On the Software side you only have to follow the guide @kgp prepared ;)

As an example use my system:
Day 1:
- unpacking and pre testing of the components (1 hour)
- installing everything in the case (4 hour)
Day 2:
- preparing the boot USB stick (3 hours)
I should have done the macOS download the day before :crazy:
This way I was watching a movie apr. 2h of the 3 :lol:
Day 3:
- adjusting the bios according to guide (1 hour)
I had to search for some of the settings as my boards bios is quit different to the guide.
- Booting from the USB stick and installing macOS (1/2 hour+)
I am not sure how long the installation took as I only started it and then went to bed
Day 4-...: every day apr. 1 hour to work through Section E of the guide
I loved the fact that I had a working machine which I could improve every day a little bit. Some days I did use it for other things and some days (latest when I needed some positive results before day end :)) I implement one more step from Section E.

long story short:
Don't worry to much, try it ;)

All the best
Frank

BTW.. SSDT-X299-RX580.aml just became official part of my X299 System SSDT distribution. ;)

Thanks for the positive feedback, @Loloflatsix :thumbup:
Hi @kgp,

I am using the RX 560 ( I know, I know...)
It's probably better for me to adapt this RX 580 SSDT over the original Vega one I've been using?

If so, here is the version I edited to match the text. Seems to work.

Thank you, as always!

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-RX560.aml.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
@kgp Mate I'm on 10.14.1 system working well, but I cant get the SSDT to work. shouldn't it just work for the RX580? there are no device ids etc in the SSDT like the Vega SSDT? are those entries suppose to be there? I am only trying to implement the Graphics for now.. any help my friend?

Last edited:
@kgp Mate I'm on 10.14.1 system working well, but I cant get the SSDT to work. shouldn't it just work for the RX580? there are no device ids etc in the SSDT like the Vega SSDT? are those entries suppose to be there? I am only trying to implement the Graphics for now.. any help my friend?

Just properly adopt ACPI path and ACPI replacements by following this guideline.

But is the clocking of the GPU the same under Windows and macOS?
Yes. Should be roughly the same as i used the same PowerPlayTable values and checked with ioreg on MacOS.

Please be careful as the MSI card uses slightly higher core clocks than any other Vega 56. 1622 vs 1590. The higher HBM clock of 900 vs 800 is in line of what i observed as safe on my Sapphire Pulse 56 too.

Yes I know, but my VEGA 56 comes with this stock bios :

113-MSITV368MH.200 (C) 1988-2010, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
ATOMBIOSBK-AMD VER016.001.001.000.000000 V368-XLH-P.0 CCC Overdrive Limits
SOC Clocks: 600.0 MHz Clock state 1
Classification: Optimal Perf Gfx Clocks: 852.0 MHz, 991.0 MHz, 1138.0 MHz, 1269.0 MHz, 1312.0 MHz, 1474.0 MHz, 1569.0 MHz, 1622.0 MHz
Mem Clocks: 167.0 MHz, 500.0 MHz, 700.0 MHz, 800.0 MHz
SOC Clocks: 600.0 MHz, 720.0 MHz, 847.0 MHz, 960.0 MHz, 1028.0 MHz, 1107.0 MHz
Temperature Target: 75 °C

So pushing Gfx Clock to 1663 MHz like VEGA 64 bios with a small under voltage and Mem Clock to 900 MHz does not affect stability under MacOs or Windows ;).

And for "only" 417 € on Amazon after rebate is a good deal for this GPU.

Last edited:
Just properly adopt ACPI path and ACPI replacements by following this guideline.

Ok Trying

@kgp mate I’ve been trying and trying and I can’t even get the on-board audio to populate. Updated the AppleALC Kext that now shows the audio driver installed as yes for the Radeon.

Nothing to else is showing up.

The SSDT folder is now different from the old single file. Am I to use those individually in the ACPI folder?

Been trying that and also trying to modify the old SSDT.

Loosing hope here.. it wasn’t this difficult when I was on 10.13, don’t get what’s happening.

The RX 580.aml files do not have any entries for vendor -I’d , Device-I’d and compatibility, do I have to manually create those sections?

The ACPI paths match my system as in the RX580 SSDT..

Which is why this is all very confusing.

Could whatevergreen be causing any of this or any kexts in particular?

Last edited:
Hello @kgp

my system runs very stable and corresponds in many parts to yours and I would like to thank you for the fantastic guide.
Here are the Specs:
- Asus X299 Prime Deluxe (Bios 1503)
- i7 I7-7820X
- Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX VEGA 64
- GC Titan Ridge

As I said, the system runs very well, but i have still a question.

All Thunderbolt devices are recognized correctly and the hot plugging works reliably, but when I try to connect an eGPU it is displayed under PCI in system profiler, but the driver is not loaded. I tried it with Vega 56, RX 570, RX 560 and always get the same result.

I use a Sonnet Breakaway Box.

Tomorrow I will post sreenshots and an ioreg dump.

And I know you don't have any egpu.

Egpu is not trivial, but maybe you have an idea.
This is a field that would complete the Thunderbolt experience.

2. in both cases i used a run of Heaven Benchmark.
In Windows i use HWMonitor to monitor Temps
On MacOS i used the output of: ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Core\|GPU Activity\|Memory ' and compared it to the output of iStat.

Thank you for the terminal commands, very useful. I added "Total Power", and I enjoy to see how it goes from 43W at idle to 330W (and 55C):
Code:
Mac:~ $ ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | tr ',' '\n' |grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Core\|GPU Activity\|Memory \|Power'
"Fan Speed(%)"=47
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1360
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"GPU Activity(%)"=100
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=1601
"Temperature(C)"=54
"Total Power(W)"=327

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back