Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey kgp, Im afraid not... why?

Your did not read the respective part of my guide?

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 does not support the iGPU of the RX 580 and you won't be happy with this GPU in several aspects. I really encourage you to still change or cancel your order if possible and opt at least or a RX Vega 56 at approx. equal costs.

Your did not read the respective part of my guide?

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 does not support the iGPU of the RX 580 and you won't be happy with this GPU in several aspects. I really encourage you to still change or cancel your order if possible and opt at least or a RX Vega 56 at approx. equal costs.

Man your killing me here! damn! the Vega56 is double the price here! I cant get that! I thought the RX 580 was officially supported by apple now.. didn't think it would have any issues... Damn! what kind of issues to expect?

Man your killing me here! damn! the Vega56 is double the price here! I cant get that! I thought the RX 580 was officially supported by apple now.. didn't think it would have any issues... Damn! what kind of issues to expect?

Several users reported issues with the RX 580 along the 10.13 iMacPro X299 thread. See yourself.

Well apparently there is nearly no difference between e.g. the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 and Vega 64 in price, approx. 450$ both. In this case I would directly opt for the Vega 64.

Several users reported issues with the RX 580 along the 10.13 iMacPro X299 thread. See yourself.
Alright mate. Thanks, this is really not good news for me. thanks for letting me know

Alright mate. Thanks, this is really not good news for me. thanks for letting me know

Just try to help and to prevent troubles at your side.

X299 SAGE works great for me on High Sierra... I use it extensively for film editing, grading and mastering (short ficition, feature documentaries, TV reality etc)... So serious work :) And I don't have any problems. Most of the time it is rendering from DaVinci or Adobe Media Encoder without issues. Much more stable than 2013 Mac Pro trashcan I was using previously. MP is currently sitting in my editing room, waiting to be sold.

I still use local storage, so I can't comment od 10G speeds... Or Vega cards. 2x GTX 1080 TI works great for me.

Regarding hard drives - I format all my drives as HFS+. But I deal with a lot of NTFS drives and they work without problems with Paragon software ( I have both extFS and NTFS drivers from Paragon because of DCP mastering).

Glad it’s been working great for you! The sage is a really nice board. Has 10GB been stable for you since placing the kexts in the EFI Folder? Just sold my sage on eBay so if everything is good I’ll be getting a 10g board :)

Just try to help and to prevent troubles at your side.
Thanks Kgp appreciated!

So I read some people have tried various things and even change the SMbios to 5,1..etc. on the apple website these graphic cards are supported with an External thunderbolt case but works with the iMac pro. is it about finding a way to have SMbios detect it as an eGPU that might make these cards more compatible? ofcourse I understand the iMac pro was designed with the Vega architecture and properly implemented for Smbios, that makes sense.

None the less. thank you kgp for notifying me. Im going to figure out what my plan of action is next.

Peace

Last edited:
Glad it’s been working great for you! The sage is a really nice board. Has 10GB been stable for you since placing the kexts in the EFI Folder? Just sold my sage on eBay so if everything is good I’ll be getting a 10g board :)
It is working great, mainly because of Kgps guide and your help :)

To be honest - that computer is running 24/7 without turning it off. I have to be able to remote control it almost anytime because of the nature of my work. This is why I still didn't try that. But as always I hope to do it tomorrow (on weekends) :)

I will make custom USB kext for SAGE 10G and I hope this will be last thing that I have to do for 100% stable computer. Also, I have to check few sleeping issues and HDMI... And maybe try to experiment a bit with "sync all cores" in BIOS.

Mojave will be my next project when nVidia releases web drivers...

It is working great, mainly because of Kgps guide and your help :)

To be honest - that computer is running 24/7 without turning it off. I have to be able to remote control it almost anytime because of the nature of my work. This is why I still didn't try that. But as always I hope to do it tomorrow (on weekends) :)

I will make custom USB kext for SAGE 10G and I hope this will be last thing that I have to do for 100% stable computer. Also, I have to check few sleeping issues and HDMI... And maybe try to experiment a bit with "sync all cores" in BIOS.

Mojave will be my next project when nVidia releases web drivers...

When I tried placing the kexts in the EFI folder I didn't have any issues with it losing 10g but I was only able to test for like a couple days. I assume it'll be a much better approach though. Awesome! If you weren't going to do a custom usb kext I was going to once I get mine but I imagine it won't be too difficult since there are only 4 usb 3 on the back and 1 internal. Sleep issues might be fixed with usb kext and it might be a while for nvidia web drivers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back