Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) WS X299 Sage 10G and i9-7980XE

BTW.. there is another Boost in Skylake-X Geekbench scores either related with 10.14.5 Public Betas or recent modifications within the latest Geekbench software distribution.

View attachment 400585

View attachment 400598

2.) The Radeon VII macOS implementation is still early public beta and all other benchmark scores apart those presented for LuxMark are not as expected for now. WEG and SSDT allow an optimised Radeon VII macOS implementation providing multi-monitor support, appropriate sleep/wake functionality and Display Hotplug on all available DP and HDMI ports of the Radeon VII, which else is fully natively implemented by macOS under the 10.14.5 early public betas. Else I am currently also working on the macOS SDDT implementation of an optimised and appropriate Radeon VII powerplay table by following else respective Windows approaches outlined on www.overclock.net.

3.) Other PCIe cards on my system are, GC-TTR, BT/WIFI OSXWIFI and an Alphacool Eisblock HDX-3 PCIe 3.0 water blocked NVMe adapter for my EVO 970 PRO, employed as my MacOS System disk and you actually might refer to.

4.) I never faced any problems or leaking with a properly implemented custom water blocking, which anyway should be filled and verified at first place by using e.g. a EKWB EL-ATX Bridging Plug on the 24-pin motherboard cable, solely connected to your PSU.

View attachment 400592

Happy Easter holidays,

KGP

1 question about the Radeon 7
He works without the problems of Vega 64?
For example: fan that work on 100%
Freeze the OS while editing OR exporting video in FCPX?

I want to purchase it
But afraid to get More of the same

I want to purchase it

I guess it is much too early for definitive conclusions about the macOS performance of the VII, as it's macOS implementation is still public beta or even just public beta 2, so to say.

But what I noticed during my macOS testing of an airflow Radon VII is that under LuxMark, Heaven and Valley benchmarks, where the Radeon VII seems also actually substantially forced, its fans fully worked as expect, i.e. very silent during idle and substantially present under max. load conditions. I now employ anyway a water blocked Radeon VII and I do not care anymore about any fans or any respective fan behaviour in any case.

For my comments to the actual Radeon VII performance under macOS, please see point 2.) of post #2,796 .

After the official release of 10.14.5, there will be anyway also substantial performance differences between any airflow VII running under stock conditions and any overclocked water blocked VII, thus answers to your respective question will remain relative, individual and very specific in any case.

Finally, being a solar physicist and not much interested in or very familiar with FCPX, Premiere, Da Vinci video processing, respective questions concerning the actual VII macOS performance should be better commented or answered by experts, using the respective software packages professionally and in daily life but else employing identical or at least very similar hardware and system configurations. As I don't own most of this software personally and therefore it would be anyway very difficult for me to actually commit any respective testing, I am also already for quite some time hardly able to manage all respective hardware expenses for non-profit build and guide development, thus there is anyway also absolutely no money for officially purchasing and testing all rather expensive, separat and additional 3rd party software for other respective users who likely want to feel at the save side before committing own hardware expenses that meet their specific personal or professional requirements and expectations.

Happy Easter, my friend and see you sometimes on Tuesday,

KGP

Last edited:
I guess it is much too early for definitive conclusions about the macOS performance of the VII, as it's macOS implementation is still public beta or even just public beta 2, so to say.

But what I noticed during my macOS testing of an airflow Radon VII is that under LuxMark, Heaven and Valley benchmarks, where the Radeon VII seems also actually substantially forced, its fans fully worked as expect, i.e. very silent during idle and substantially present under max. load conditions. I now employ anyway a water blocked Radeon VII and I do not care anymore about any fans or any respective fan behaviour in any case.

For my comments to the actual Radeon VII performance under macOS, please see point 2.) of post #2,796 .

After the official release of 10.14.5, there will be anyway also substantial performance differences between any airflow VII running under stock conditions and any overclocked water blocked VII, thus answers to your respective question will remain relative, individual and very specific in any case.

Finally, being a solar physicist and not much interested in or very familiar with FCPX, Premiere, Da Vinci video processing, respective questions concerning the actual VII macOS performance should be better commented or answered by experts, using the respective software packages professionally and in daily life but else employing identical or at least very similar hardware and system configurations. As I don't own most of this software personally and therefore it would be anyway very difficult for me to actually commit any respective testing, I am also already for quite some time hardly able to manage all respective hardware expenses for non-profit build and guide development, thus there is anyway also absolutely no money for officially purchasing and testing all rather expensive, separat and additional 3rd party software for other respective users who likely want to feel at the save side before committing own hardware expenses that meet their specific personal or professional requirements and expectations.

Happy Easter, my friend and see you sometimes on Tuesday,

KGP

thanks for the fast reply|

I will wait for 10.14.5
Then I'll decide on a purchase

Happy Easter :)

Reactions: kgp

I want to purchase it

I can attest in Premiere Pro CC2019 and all other Adobe apps, Radeon VII works very well. There are some performance issues with the public beta release of macOS. I use it as a daily driver.

Performance issue compared to Vega FE I had in there previously:

1) Timeline stalls sometimes
2) Metal renderer is useless, so stick to OpenCL
3) Have to reboot sometimes because of performance drop with Red footage.

I don’t use FCPX as often so cannot attest to that. But I did do some quick tests and ran Bruce X and it’s definitely a good FCPX card. I just don’t have solid experience with it as a daily driver + Radeon VII.

Davinci Resolve works great as well. (Latest and previous version)

Overall I suggest to wait for 10.14.5 final, or just install on a secondary drive for testing. I took the bullet on a daily driver because I was feeling a little naughty :lol:

Last edited:
I can attest in Premiere Pro CC2019 and all other Adobe apps, Radeon VII works very well. There are some performance issues with the public beta release of macOS. I use it as a daily driver.

Performance issue compared to Vega FE I had in there previously:

1) Timeline stalls sometimes
2) Metal renderer is useless, so stick to OpenCL
3) Have to reboot sometimes because of performance drop with Red footage.

I don’t use FCPX as often so cannot attest to that. But I did do some quick tests and ran Bruce X and it’s definitely a good FCPX card. I just don’t have solid experience with it as a daily driver + Radeon VII.

Davinci Resolve works great as well. (Latest and previous version)

Overall I suggest to wait for 10.14.5 final, or just install on a secondary drive for testing. I took the bullet on a daily driver because I was feeling a little naughty :lol:

Hey izo1
thank you for the answer

About DaVinci Resolve
You get H264\5 acceleration? (It exists only in the studio version!)

With Vega F.E I got the graphic acceleration but it was not enough just X2 Playback
The question is whether you are running on the Timeline and whether you can reach the X4 - X8

on my 2080ti windows machine i reach fast x16 playback

Hey izo1
thank you for the answer

About DaVinci Resolve
You get H264\5 acceleration? (It exists only in the studio version!)

With Vega F.E I got the graphic acceleration but it was not enough just X2 Playback
The question is whether you are running on the Timeline and whether you can reach the X4 - X8

on my 2080ti windows machine i reach fast x16 playback

No problems with Resolve 16 PB and H264/H265 exports. (Although the "Quick Export" is a new feature in Version 16)

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 1.59.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 2.06.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 1.59.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 2.00.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 2.20.09 AM.png

Test clip is a sample from the red website.

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 2.08.56 AM.png

Radeon VII is a computational beast (almost 2x what Vega 64 was due to high bandwidth ram), but I am not sure how it will do pitted against the 2080Ti with CUDA enabled in Resolve/Windows. CUDA is known to be very optimized especially with Quadro cards and applications like Resolve that use it (Premiere Pro as well). That is most likely a very refined workflow compared to the Radeon VII. But if you have something for me to test specifically in FCPX and Resolve let me know :thumbup:

I can also do Resolve tests with the Radeon VII under Windows to compare.

There is a good video from Level1Tech about Radeon VII and Premiere Pro/Editing performance (OpenCL) and they have gotten very good results.

Radeon VII: Fast & Stable Premiere Editing

Last edited:
No problems with Resolve 16 PB and H264/H265 exports. (Although the "Quick Export" is a new feature in Version 16)

View attachment 400804

View attachment 400808

View attachment 400805

View attachment 400806

View attachment 400810

Test clip is a sample from the red website.

View attachment 400809

Radeon VII is a computational beast (almost 2x what Vega 64 was due to high bandwidth ram), but I am not sure how it will do pitted against the 2080Ti with CUDA enabled in Resolve/Windows. CUDA is known to be very optimized especially with Quadro cards and applications like Resolve that use it (Premiere Pro as well). That is most likely a very refined workflow compared to the Radeon VII. But if you have something for me to test specifically in FCPX and Resolve let me know :thumbup:

I can also do Resolve tests with the Radeon VII under Windows to compare.

There is a good video from Level1Tech about Radeon VII and Premiere Pro/Editing performance (OpenCL) and they have gotten very good results.

Radeon VII: Fast & Stable Premiere Editing

Looking Good!

Thanks for your time investment :)

I'm particularly interested in performance while playback
Export times less interesting

But it seems very interesting!

Evening. I have successfully installed 10.14.4 clean install on X299 Prime but my partition keeps reverting to APFS even if I format and partition it in Disk Utility during setup as HFS+ (Journaled). I have tried it on a USB SSD as well, same thing, the installer converts to APFS even though I have Unsolid.kext in my /Other folder.. any ideas?

I've used APFS on my system for almost a year. While many here do not recommend it, to me, it's no big deal. Might be a little slower (but not much), and it certainly hasn't interfered in any way with my production activities.

Perhaps going with it? I really have had virtually no issues with APFS and both of my hacks are APFS.

But, there are alternatives, for instance, do your install and convert it. A few more steps, but it works.

One way to convert it from APFS to HFS and vice versa is to use Carbon Copy Cloner. Backup the APFS partition, and then reformat your system drive to HFS. Then restore the backed up APFS partition data to the newly reformatted HFS partition. (Of course you would have to adjust your Clover appropriately, but also not very hard).

Another way is to boot to a recovery partition that is NOT on the drive you're working on (make a clone to another hard drive or something that allows you to boot to it - and having a clone drive ready in case your main system drive fails is a really good idea anyway). In the recovery utility, start disk utility. Select the system drive you want to be HFS, unmount it and then convert. Data should be there after you've converted.

Not exactly what you asked, but some ideas in case you're really stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back