Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not a bad person, but you make people like me not want to post here at all. It wastes my time.

You don't have to reply to every post, you know that right?

I would wish you would just consider your own advises and also not extrapolate your personal feelings to others.

I also don't want to permanently waste time and energy in repetitive discussions and that's also why I am out now of this discussion, my friend.

Good night world, and all best mood for the weekend :thumbup:

Here we go, looks like you haven't created the TSCAdjustReset.kext necessary to boot your CPU. As it currently stands, you will sometimes be able to boot, but likely will get stuck when TSC desynchronizes.

Please refer to C.4 in the guide and follow it carefully and fully. Place the kext in your other folder and redo your installation. TSCAdjustReset.kext is absolutely necessary.
It solved the performance issue. Thank you!

, as it is also known that the VII has a different architecture than the Vega and basically requires a new driver. You are

The VII doesn't have a different architecture to the Vega. It is a Vega core.

I know this for a fact from regular dealing with AMD engineers.

The VII doesn't have a different architecture to the Vega. It is a Vega core.

I know this for a fact from regular dealing with AMD engineers.

It is the first GPU based on 7nm architecture, the Vega isn't. Also the circuit board ist different (thus also no custom water blocking for now). What further implies this is out of my knowledge (lets see if new driver or just some implementation of a new device-ID, etc.). Anyway, I don't wan't to reopen yesterdays discussion. I just tested whether the VII would work already with 10.14.3 or at least 10.14.3 SU and apparently it doesn't in terms of OpenGL and Metal. Else it is currently recognised by macOS similar to a Vega Frontier and works without further issues always provided that one uses Whatevergreen and my respective SSDT, although independently from macOS, the VII also does not seem to fully support UEFI (CSM needed to be enabled for booting the Prime Deluxe system at all). That's what is interesting and important for now, isn't it? Me at least, I do not need all this accompanying discussion to my yesterday's findings. The internet is full of rumours concerning the VII, I just tried to shed some light on this and to provide some facts obtained from some first insitu testing, unfortunately under 10.14.3 and 10.14.3 SU only. So let's rather talk about these facts instead of continuing with theoretical discussions. Anyway, anybody is invited to contribute with additional VII tests and results also under subsequent yet unofficial macOS versions on InsanelyMac, where the latter also does not violate any board rules.

Last edited:
I know.. please test onboard TTR TB with SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml.zip (attached below) and SSDT-DTPG.aml in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched.

@kgp This one is the ioreg with TB SSDT in the patched folder, please take a look, thanks.
However, the PCI information still does not show the onboard TB controller and hotplug is not available.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 6.31.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 6.31.30 PM.png
    765.7 KB · Views: 73
  • With TB SSDT.ioreg
    22.4 MB · Views: 68
@kgp This one is the ioreg with TB SSDT in the patched folder, please take a look, thanks.
However, the PCI information still does not show the onboard TB controller and hotplug is not available.

Apparently you did not implement my TB-SSDT for the Deluxe II attached in the other post . The TB ACPI table is not at all properly implemented on your system.

Also do you use SSDT-DTPG.aml which is compulsory in addition?

Please use SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml.zip and SSDT-DTPG.aml.zip once more attached below . This TB-SSDT does not need any additional adaptation for the Deluxe II as I already adopted it for the onboard TTR controller of the latter motherboard.

It should provide the following results:

Also do you use the following TB BIOS settings?:

Code:
TBT Root por Selector                               Thunderbolt USB
Thunderbolt USB Support                             Disabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support                            Disabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM Devices)                   Off
Thunderbolt(TM) PCIe Cache-line Size                128
GPIO3 Force Pwr                                     On
Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr            200
Skip PCI OptionRom                                  Enabled
Security Level                                      SL0-No Security
Reserve mem per phy slot                            32
Reserve P mem per phy slot                          32
Reserve IO per phy slot                             20
Delay before SX Exit                                300
GPIO Filter                                         Enabled
Enable CLK REQ                                      Disabled
Enable ASPM                                         Disabled
Enable LTR                                          Disabled
Extra Bus Reserved                                  65
Reserved Memory                                     386
Memory Alignment                                    26
Reserved PMemory                                    960
PMemory Alignment                                   28
Reserved I/O                                        0
Alpine Ridge XHCI WA                                Disabled

With your Deluxe II, the originally implemented TB ACPI table without any TB-SSDT in your EFI-Folder should look like the one posted by @applemacosxGOD:

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 110
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml.zip
    937 bytes · Views: 102
Last edited:
The GPU does not seem yet to support OpenGL or Metal under 10.14.3. I thought this statement was clear enough.

It seems more silent though than any other AMD in IDLE at present. Nevertheless, all Windows reviews clearly state that under load it is even louder and hotter than any AMD GPU before, thus custom water cooling again will be deemed necessary like already in case of all Vegas formerly. Unfortunately there is no custom water block available yet for the Radeon VII. So let's hope that EK will come up with one in the near future. By this, the Radeon VII then might also be properly implemented under macOS.

Sounds to me like water cooling is the only way to implement this card......even in Windows!

This will be a great card if we can get full support in macOS. Tested in latest beta 14.4 and still no support.
@kgp could you post your ssdt?

Luxmark Ball in Windows is awesome. About double that if Vega 64. Check out this dual setup.
Pentium g3258 $50 with 2X Radeon VIIs.

I edited the 5000, and 5000HW Kexts with device ID but still no acceleration.

Sounds to me like water cooling is the only way to implement this card......even in Windows!

I've been running benches in windows and the card is noisy but it stays very cool compared to Vega 64. The backplate gets a little warm but you can't fry an egg on it like the Vega.

Reactions: kgp
The first disappointing discovery independent from macOS was that this GPU for now apparently seems not compatible with UEFI. The BIOS enforced "CSM" by default otherwise the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe system would not have booted at all.
Re: "The BIOS enforced "CSM" by default". Is the same true when booting Windows 10?
If so, something is definitely fouled up with the card's firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back