Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the R6 in person and didn't like the build quality. I have a Meshify C and don't like the build quality, however I like the front open mesh...but the case is too tiny.

The model I got last year had a metal door, this one is just plastic, still better than the Thermaltake Suppressor F51 I had. That one had the silliest design ever. At the front it had a dust filter, but it was placed before the holes, right against the door. Wasn't filtering anything.
The Define R6 has done it properly.

I haven't had time to mess with the Aquantia, but it seems that you have to use a ton of workarounds to make it work. I just use 1GbE ethernet for now and Wifi.

If the 5GB onboard NIC of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II really does not work OoB, did you try the trick with 10.13.3 and to subsequently apply the "built-in" AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext patch ©Mieze implemented in the config.plist of my EFI-Folder distribution and fully described in my guide? It perfectly works with the ASUS Aquantia 10GB PCIe adapter. It might also work for the 5GB Aquantia NIC onboard controller of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II.

If the 5GB onboard NIC of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II really does not work OoB, did you try the trick with 10.13.3 and to subsequently apply the "built-in" AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext patch ©Mieze implemented in the config.plist of my EFI-Folder distribution and fully described in my guide? It perfectly works with the ASUS Aquantia 10GB PCIe adapter. It might also work for the 5GB Aquantia NIC onboard controller of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II.

I will try and report back :)

Looks like I have a lot of reporting to do :thumbup:

Reactions: kgp
I will try and report back :)

Looks like I have a lot of reporting to do :thumbup:

Yes, indeed it looks like such, as I do not have the financial resources and still other concerns to change from the Prime X299 Deluxe to the Prime X299 Deluxe II by myself.

Thus your findings will be important also for others using the new Prime X299 Deluxe II.

At first place, you should also get a USB-C stick and some TB device (maybe a small TB3 SSD), to check whether SSDT-SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml works as expected also with the Prime X299 Deluxe II, including USB-C and TB3 HotPlug and sleep/wake.

Like always, I would offer my help in properly adopting SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml also for the Prime X299 Deluxe II, if necessary.

And finally, I am also still waiting on your XHC USB port discovery results for the Prime X299 Deluxe II (the same states for the GA X299 Designare EX), as agreed previously.. ;)

I need to swap my GTX 1080 and I would ask which would be the best option to match the iMacPro1,1.

I could buy either an RX580 8gb for 250€ or a vega56 for less than 400€. Is really worth the extra 150€?
There are hardware feature missing in the RX580?

Last thing, under windows, I'm used to encode my movie library in h265 via Nvidia's nvenc. Does the RX580 have an hardware encoder for h265?

I need to swap my GTX 1080 and I would ask which would be the best option to match the iMacPro1,1.

I could buy either an RX580 8gb for 250€ or a vega56 for less than 400€. Is really worth the extra 150€?

Last thing, under windows, I'm used to encode my movie library in h265 via Nvidia's nvenc. Does the RX580 have an hardware encoder for h265?

I cannot permanently repeat myself. Thus, just briefly.. opt for the Vega 56 and forget about RX 580 when using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. Plenty of reasons one finds along my guide and in dozens of posts by myself and others along my x299 threads.

It is somewhat tireing to always receive same questions and to provide identical answers. I anyway appologize for reponding that briefly.

Last edited:
Still misleading...
I have responded several times to your questions regarding sleep in the past. Even bios setup.
Good luck !

Its not misleading, thats the problem I am experiencing.

Your running a newer BIOS so the settings file does not work with my board unfortunately which is why I was asking about screenshots. I have ECC ram and Gigabyte dropped support for it, wonder if the BIOS can be modded to support it.

Its not misleading, thats the problem I am experiencing.

Your running a newer BIOS so the settings file does not work with my board unfortunately which is why I was asking about screenshots. I have ECC ram and Gigabyte dropped support for it, wonder if the BIOS can be modded to support it.

How are you running ECC RAM when X299 doesn’t support it?

I recommend waiting to see if the Radeon 7 is MacOS compatible when it's available in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back