Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Motherboard
Prime X299-A
CPU
Core i7-7820X
Graphics
RX Vega 64 LC
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@kgp hey mate, could you please summarize your experience with Gigabyte OC and Sapphire Nitro+ (Vega 64) cards? even regarding DP and HDMI ports and general compatibility/stability, I'd like to drive my 3x4K monitors with DP (you know Nitro got just 2 DP). Thanks mate, I ask you since I know you tested both. I don't want overclock, just want a silent card without having to tweak power tables.

kgp

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
@kgp hey mate, could you please summarize your experience with Gigabyte OC and Sapphire Nitro+ (Vega 64) cards? even regarding DP and HDMI ports and general compatibility/stability, I'd like to drive my 3x4K monitors with DP (you know Nitro got just 2 DP). Thanks mate, I ask you since I know you tested both. I don't want overclock, just want a silent card without having to tweak power tables.
Go for a custom waterblocked MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Airboost 8G OC in this case.

Good luck ;)

Motherboard
X299 GA AORUS GAMING 7
CPU
i7-7800X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
Do a port investigation and modify or complete the available kexts if necessary. Maybe @Ellybz forgot about the implementation of the back-panel USB-C connector? is the latter really part of XHCI? In this case you might just need to add HS06 and SSP6 to both kexts and drop some other ports in case of the truncated 15-port kext? Do the two modified kexts attached below improve something in your case?
What makes you assume that the back panel USB-C on GA Gaming 7 is associated with HS06/SS06 and not HS07,08,etc ?
I found your comment a bit troubling. In this particular Mobo, USB-C is not part of XHCI but RP05 - ( USB 3.1 Port ). I have clearly stated this in my findings and post. Here's an example of a drive attached to this port.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega FE
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
What makes you assume that the back panel USB-C on GA Gaming 7 is associated with HS06/SS06 and not HS07,08,etc ?
I found your comment a bit disturbing. In this particular Mobo, USB-C is not part of XHCI but RP05 - ( USB 3.1 Port ). I have clearly stated this in my findings and post. Here's an example of a drive attached to this port.
Theres no reason to take a tone like that. This forum is friendly without "what makes you assume," "I found your comment a bit disturbing." "I have clearly stated this." Just use respectful conversation, there's a lot of posts on here, it's not KGPs responsibility to memorize every person's history of requests and comments.

Try disseminating your findings in a constructive format. Like KGP, you may have to say things multiple times before people on this forum realize what you've said ;). There's been plenty of times where KGP has had to repeat himself and others have made questionable assumptions that he's had to explain and reexplain. Exercise some patience.

Motherboard
Prime X299-A
CPU
Core i7-7820X
Graphics
RX Vega 64 LC
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Go for a custom waterblocked MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Airboost 8G OC in this case.

Good luck ;)
Ahahah are you kidding me?!?! :p I wrote I don’t want to spend money on custom cooling! Just the most silent air card suitable for 3x4k monitors. Gigabyte then?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
2x GTX 1070 8GB
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Apple, iBook, Performa, Power Mac, PowerBook, SE
Mobile Phone
Android
I found your comment a bit troubling. In this particular Mobo, USB-C is not part of XHCI but RP05 - ( USB 3.1 Port ). I have clearly stated this in my findings and post. Here's an example of a drive attached to this port.
Interesting mine is different for the back panel usb c:
Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 2.53.35 PM.png

Motherboard
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
2x GTX 1070 8GB
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
(please remove post)

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
2x GTX 1070 8GB
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
Do a port investigation and modify or complete the available kexts if necessary. Maybe @Ellybz forgot about the implementation of the back-panel USB-C connector? is the latter really part of XHCI? In this case you might just need to add HS06 and SSP6 to both kexts and drop some other ports in case of the truncated 15-port kext? Do the two modified kexts attached below improve something in your case?
Well it works to connect the device, but I was performing a firmware upgrade on a device with a native USB C connector and it fails mid way. Works totally fine with the gigabyte thunderbolt titan ridge usb c connector. Thankfully device was not damaged.

Motherboard
X299 GA AORUS GAMING 7
CPU
i7-7800X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
Well it works to connect the device, but I was performing a firmware upgrade on a device with a native USB C connector and it fails mid way. Works totally fine with the gigabyte thunderbolt titan ridge usb c connector. Thankfully device was not damaged.
Android phones seem to have issues when connected to this port, ( Phone charges and also appears in IOregistry RP05 as USB2.0 ) but Android file transfer or AnyTrans for android are really buggy/unstable.

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
2x GTX 1070 8GB
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
Android phones seem to have issues when connected to this port, ( Phone charges and also appears in IOregistry RP05 as USB2.0 ) but Android file transfer or AnyTrans for android are really buggy/unstable.
Problem is with updating firmware on a camera, should I connect camera and send ioreg screenshots with the thunderbolt and gigabyte usb c?

Last edited: