Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you assume that the back panel USB-C on GA Gaming 7 is associated with HS06/SS06 and not HS07,08,etc ?
I found your comment a bit disturbing. In this particular Mobo, USB-C is not part of XHCI but RP05 - ( USB 3.1 Port ). I have clearly stated this in my findings and post. Here's an example of a drive attached to this port.

Theres no reason to take a tone like that. This forum is friendly without "what makes you assume," "I found your comment a bit disturbing." "I have clearly stated this." Just use respectful conversation, there's a lot of posts on here, it's not KGPs responsibility to memorize every person's history of requests and comments.

Try disseminating your findings in a constructive format. Like KGP, you may have to say things multiple times before people on this forum realize what you've said ;). There's been plenty of times where KGP has had to repeat himself and others have made questionable assumptions that he's had to explain and reexplain. Exercise some patience.

Go for a custom waterblocked MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Airboost 8G OC in this case.

Good luck ;)
Ahahah are you kidding me?!?! :p I wrote I don’t want to spend money on custom cooling! Just the most silent air card suitable for 3x4k monitors. Gigabyte then?

Last edited:
What makes you assume that the back panel USB-C on GA Gaming 7 is associated with HS06/SS06 and not HS07,08,etc ?
I found your comment a bit troubling. In this particular Mobo, USB-C is not part of XHCI but RP05 - ( USB 3.1 Port ). I have clearly stated this in my findings and post. Here's an example of a drive attached to this port.

Interesting mine is different for the back panel usb c:
Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 2.53.35 PM.png

(please remove post)

Last edited:
Do a port investigation and modify or complete the available kexts if necessary. Maybe @Ellybz forgot about the implementation of the back-panel USB-C connector? is the latter really part of XHCI? In this case you might just need to add HS06 and SSP6 to both kexts and drop some other ports in case of the truncated 15-port kext? Do the two modified kexts attached below improve something in your case?

Well it works to connect the device, but I was performing a firmware upgrade on a device with a native USB C connector and it fails mid way. Works totally fine with the gigabyte thunderbolt titan ridge usb c connector. Thankfully device was not damaged.

Well it works to connect the device, but I was performing a firmware upgrade on a device with a native USB C connector and it fails mid way. Works totally fine with the gigabyte thunderbolt titan ridge usb c connector. Thankfully device was not damaged.
Android phones seem to have issues when connected to this port, ( Phone charges and also appears in IOregistry RP05 as USB2.0 ) but Android file transfer or AnyTrans for android are really buggy/unstable.

Last edited:
Android phones seem to have issues when connected to this port, ( Phone charges and also appears in IOregistry RP05 as USB2.0 ) but Android file transfer or AnyTrans for android are really buggy/unstable.

Problem is with updating firmware on a camera, should I connect camera and send ioreg screenshots with the thunderbolt and gigabyte usb c?

Last edited:
Ahahah are you kidding me?!?! :p I wrote I don’t want to spend money on custom cooling! Just the most silent air card suitable for 3x4k monitors. Gigabyte then?

Not at all! It is by far the noisiest one! Opt for the air-flow Saphire Nitro+ Vega 64 in this case. And having said that, I would really like to stop this never ending discussion. There is no „silent“ air-flow Vega GPU that performs at stock speeds. A silent Vega GPU imposes custom water blocking! If you refuse water blocking,you have to live with some noise if you don‘t want to burn your Vega ;)

Cheers,

KGP

I haven't tried this with a vega yet but the best way to quiet an air cooled card (IMHO and experience) is to remove the shroud and super thin fans and cool them with a pair of thick, oversized, Noctua fans. This is so much easier with an ITX motherboard since there aren't any other slots in the way. Time to get creative if you want quiet. I use Vegas not because I need a powerful GPU, I use them because they work better with the X299. So I turned to undervolting/underclocking. Tests this morning show it still heats up to 85c under full load for more than a couple of minutes. Time to slow it down some more.

Do you have a power table I could use in the Vega SSDT to undervolt the Nitro+ Vega 64? I started reading about underclocking and undervolting the Vega 64 I just don't feel confident yet to start messing with the P States and fan speeds.

@mm2margaret @izo1

Well, I found a good deal on Ebay for a Chelsio T520 CR (Dual SFP+ ports) for $100, so I bought one for each client. Finally had some time tonight to install and try out. Work perfectly with Mojave, was even able to get Link Aggregation working with both MacOS and the Ubiquiti switch I am using. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back