Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a lot of people have the LC edition of Vega Frontier LC or Vega Limited Edition LC.

But from other forums and subreddits, which I won't mention here, most that I've read about LC edition Vegas were the fact that the radiator fans run at high speeds even on half loads. I'm too lazy to find the threads, but take my word for it, if you're so inclined.

As a rule of thumb for AIO coolers, anything above 250watts will require something bigger than a 120mm radiator to keep it "silent," or at least "inaudible." Thus, you either have to let it kick up the fan on full load or control the fan through means of using a motherboard connector or software.

But anyway, like you said, best is to have either a triple fan Vega like the Sapphire Nitro+, or control the rad fan on a LC edition of Vega imo maybe with Standard mode on and a little bit of undervolting.

And yes there are Vegas with double fans, example Gigabyte....

Several of us have made our single fan blower style Vegas quiet by underclocking/undervolting and then lowering speed of the fan.

Not a lot of people have the LC edition of Vega Frontier LC or Vega Limited Edition LC.

But from other forums and subreddits, which I won't mention here, most that I've read about LC edition Vegas were the fact that the radiator fans run at high speeds even on half loads. I'm too lazy to find the threads, but take my word for it, if you're so inclined.

As a rule of thumb for AIO coolers, anything above 250watts will require something bigger than a 120mm radiator to keep it "silent," or at least "inaudible." Thus, you either have to let it kick up the fan on full load or control the fan through means of using a motherboard connector or software.

But anyway, like you said, best is to have either a triple fan Vega like the Sapphire Nitro+, or control the rad fan on a LC edition of Vega imo maybe with Standard mode on and a little bit of undervolting.

And yes there are Vegas with double fans, example Gigabyte....

In my opinion the most efficient and totally silent approach is a sophisticated custom water blocking of any Vega, which in addition allows even for potential overvlocking.

All air-flow implementations in general appear insufficuent for cooling these heat monsters at reasonable and competative GPU performance or are in consequence extremely noisy.

@pieropontra, @izo1, @kubusikan,

No idea what this discussion is all about.

1.) Nearly all custom Vega implementations have 3 fans. No idea what the Radeon VII should improve in this context.
2.) A silent air flow custom Vega with stock performance is a wishful thinking. If you want a silent custom Vega with stock performance or even with some OC, opt for custom water blocking, which works perfect on my X299 rig and with my respective Vega-SSDT!
3.) Undervolting a custom air-flow Vega as mentioned by @kubusikan is a valid approach to make it more silent. However I strongly recommend to modify the load table of the respective Vega-SSDT and to avoid any additional kext.
4.) It is true that VGTab is complex, does not fully work as described, but with a little bit of patience and wit some willing for fine-tuning, it certainly helps in any case.
5.) That a SSDT with a load table or some kext instead does not help is a misleading statement, which I have to reject completely. Also the statement that all forums report fan issues with all custom Vegas is incorrect and misleading. See, e.g. THIS THREAD. They clearly state that at least for the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega with the respective firmware, all fans behave as expected and I can confirm this statement with an air-flow Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 implemented in my X99 rig for supporting all air-flow Vega guys.
6.) There are indeed two implemented stock firmware settings on the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64, which can be activated by the little onboard switch. However this solution is rather thought for guys not being able to work with a custom SSDTs or kexts. Nobody skilled is forced to only remain with one out of two stock settings and is free to use a SSDT load table or kext to fine-tune or optimise the Vega and its respective fans up to his personal taste.

I hope this sheds some additional light on all your above discussion.

@pieropontra, it is fine for me that you basically use this thread to make others work for you as you apparently do not have all necessary technical background to get most things done by yourself. However, I would like to ask you to consider when writing your posts that the latter are also read by others. As soon also others start to comment on your sometimes confusing and incorrect statements and contribute with their own not always adequate ideas and statements, the entire discussion starts to leave its rails and ends up leaving an impression to the reader, which is also inadequate in any case.

A great day to all you guys,

KGP

@kgp this discussion is about Vega 64 Liquid REFERENCE cooling, not CUSTOM cooling, unable to load a proper power table generated in VGTab neither in your SSDT nor trough the .kext it generates.

@izo1 I’ve done exactly what you suggested, the card throttles at some point I think but temps should be ok and in any case I barely use all that GPU power so it should be ok as a temporary solution. Anyone around tonymac, as you read, wasn’t able to solve this stuff?

@kgp as I said, we all know power table modifications work for Vegas but we’re talking about a specific model here, the REFERENCE Vega 64 Liquid Cooled, AMD original one, not a custom card. Clarified this, based on my situation and @izo1 reading experience, it seems this particular card won’t use a custom power table, maybe ‘cause is cooling system is handled by the GPU itself or whatever. I read in another post that someone solved by modifying the original AMD1000 driver via config.plist / clover but since I’m not skilled enough, as @kgp noted, I’m unable to verify this.

@kgp I know you don’t want rubbish talk here, but I think mine isn’t, even if it seems my particular card is not extensively used by guys in your thread.

@kgp @izo1 I know custom cooling would be great solution, but I don’t wanna go that way ‘cause I don’t want to spend money there since I don’t use GPU money all that much. This said, for about the same amount of money in € 500 range, I could get one of this 3 cards:

1. Gigabyte Vega 64 OC 3xDP 3xHDMI - I know @kgp formerly used this card then changed it for Sapphire to use a water block but, since I don’t wanna water cool it, can I buy this and tame the 2 fans on top by simply using VGTab table in the repository Vega SSDT? Should it work well?

2. REFERENCE Vega 64 Limited (the one with the aluminum enclosure and red RADEON sign): will I be able to tame the blower style little fan here with VGTab?

3. REFERENCE Frontier Edition (the blue and yellow one, blower fan, owned by @izo1 ): same as n.2 about fan and VGTab

Thanks guys, as always. I tried a lot to solve this by myself without annoying anyone here, I swear, but I wasn’t capable. I hope a day I’ll be able to help someone here like you did with me, @kgp would be proud! Ahahahah.

In my opinion the most efficient and totally silent approach is a sophisticated custom water blocking of any Vega, which in addition allows even for potential overvlocking.

All air-flow implementations in general appear insufficuent for cooling these heat monsters at reasonable and competative GPU performance or are in consequence extremely noisy.

I agree :thumbup:

That's why I liked the GTX1080 before I dumped it, it was only 180w I believe.

Several of us have made our single fan blower style Vegas quiet by underclocking/undervolting and then lowering speed of the fan.

I've done that too, but it's still hitting 84c for me even with a lot of air.

I'll be changing my case (Meshify C) to a Evolv X and mounting a 360mm + 280mm semi-open EKWB Phoenix loop in the next week. I'll post some pics/results.

I have repasted the current Vega FE with TG Kryonaut already, it made some difference, especially if there's enough of high fan speed hitting the cooler (ie above 2000RPM) it will cool the GPU core faster than before, but that's about it.

3. REFERENCE Frontier Edition (the blue and yellow one, blower fan, owned by @izo1 ): same as n.2 about fan and VGTab

I can assure you that this thing runs hot. I have repasted, as mentioned above, but it still needs around 2000-2500RPM at a minimum to keep things below 84c (which is where it throttles). And at those RPMs, the stock cooler card is LOUD, by my standards. Once you're hitting above 2500RPM (max is 4000+) it sounds like a lawn mower and basically you will need noise cancelling headphones to not go insane. :crazy:

I use VGTab to cap the RPMs to around 2500 or so. I am running in standard mode rather than performance mode.

I don't undervolt in macOS, however in Windows, I do undervolt and bump the RAM speeds a little bit and run the fan at 2500RPM during high loads (mostly gaming, which is rare anyway).

The only time I hit high GPU loads in macOS is when I'm exporting stuff from Media Encoder or Premiere using hardware H264 acceleration, or Davinci Resolve.

Last edited:
I agree :thumbup:

That's why I liked the GTX1080 before I dumped it, it was only 180w I believe.

I've done that too, but it's still hitting 84c for me even with a lot of air.

I'll be changing my case (Meshify C) to a Evolv X and mounting a 360mm + 280mm semi-open EKWB Phoenix loop in the next week. I'll post some pics/results.

I have repasted the current Vega FE with TG Kryonaut already, it made some difference, especially if there's enough of high fan speed hitting the cooler (ie above 2000RPM) it will cool the GPU core faster than before, but that's about it.

I can assure you that this thing runs hot. I have repasted, as mentioned above, but it still needs around 2000-2500RPM at a minimum to keep things below 84c (which is where it throttles). And at those RPMs, the stock cooler card is LOUD, by my standards. Once you're hitting above 2500RPM (max is 4000+) it sounds like a lawn mower and basically you will need noise cancelling headphones to not go insane. :crazy:

I use VGTab to cap the RPMs to around 2500 or so. I am running in standard mode rather than performance mode.

I don't undervolt in macOS, however in Windows, I do undervolt and bump the RAM speeds a little bit and run the fan at 2500RPM during high loads (mostly gaming, which is rare anyway).

The only time I hit high GPU loads in macOS is when I'm exporting stuff from Media Encoder or Premiere using hardware H264 acceleration, or Davinci Resolve.

I am using MSI and Sapphire Vega 64s. From memory, the FE seems to run hotter. @pastrychef noted that his Vega56 seemed to have too much voltage for even stock speeds. Too much voltage just makes more heat. Just from memory (a crapshoot to be sure) I have my voltage maxed out at 1.1v My Mhz maxed out at 1400, and my fan max is 2000

I am using MSI and Sapphire Vega 64s. From memory, the FE seems to run hotter. @pastrychef noted that his Vega56 seemed to have too much voltage for even stock speeds. Too much voltage just makes more heat. Just from memory (a crapshoot to be sure) I have my voltage maxed out at 1.1v My Mhz maxed out at 1400, and my fan max is 2000

Yeah, AMD really screwed up the stock voltage. They were trying to compete with Pascal.

Even non Hackintosh users, if you read around on other forums, are all undervolting the Vega and get better performance with lower power usage and efficiency.

This trend will continue on Radeon 7 since it's 2nd gen Vega, most likely it will get better with Navi (no one knows of the release date).

For now, we have to do with what we have, I guess.

I personally like silent setups and don't mind if things run hot, but the Vega thermals are ridiculous, when I put my hand behind the case, even with the GPU fan running at 3000RPM (which is LOUD), I can feel the DisplayPort cables almost melting. :problem:

Yeah, AMD really screwed up the stock voltage. They were trying to compete with Pascal.

Even non Hackintosh users, if you read around on other forums, are all undervolting the Vega and get better performance with lower power usage and efficiency.

This trend will continue on Radeon 7 since it's 2nd gen Vega, most likely it will get better with Navi (no one knows of the release date).

For now, we have to do with what we have, I guess.

I personally like silent setups and don't mind if things run hot, but the Vega thermals are ridiculous, when I put my hand behind the case, even with the GPU fan running at 3000RPM (which is LOUD), I can feel the DisplayPort cables almost melting. :problem:

So I think I’ll leave it as it is now, fans connected to mobo, until Navi at 7nm since it seems clear I will get a loud card even with gigabyte or sapphire card or reference blower fan. Now I know why reviewers smashed Vega for its thermals when they came out more than a year ago!

So I think I’ll leave it as it is now, fans connected to mobo, until Navi at 7nm since it seems clear I will get a loud card even with gigabyte or sapphire card or reference blower fan. Now I know why reviewers smashed Vega for its thermals when they came out more than a year ago!

Custom water block the Vega and you will get rid of all problems..

Good luck

Custom water block the Vega and you will get rid of all problems..

Good luck

Suggestion about water blocks and pump/Rads? I should have a reference PCB here!

Suggestion about water blocks and pump/Rads? I should have a reference PCB here!

Depends on the Vega you currently employ. Try to use the EK configurator, if your Vega is suited for EK water blocking. Directly implementing your CPU in the same loop would be an option you could consider in addition. In the guide you can find suggestions for components I am using myself. Your custom water blocking must not be necessarily that extensive though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back