Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
you were right

I thought because I installed the new generation 9 processor
So the board was already up to date
But it turns out I was wrong :(

Now I was stuck in another area
But I'll try to solve it alone before I get a response
Please be careful with BIOS firmware 1603. On some ASUS motherboards, it might destroy the XHCI ACPI table under macOS. In consequence all onboard USB2.0 and USb3.0 connectors/headers will be functionless. I would rather recommend to go for BIOS firmware version 1503, which also implements the MSR lock disable BIOS feature. If you already installed 1603 in the meanwhile and you face the above USB issues, please convert back to 1503. You might need several CMOS resets in addition. For flashing your motherboard exclusively use EZ Flashback. If you use 1603 and you face the above USB issues, also boot flag npci=0x2000 might help.

Good luck,

KGP

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@kgp and all needing this ..
Please find attached, for your Github library, the fully implemented XHC USB Kext for X299 GA Gaming 7. All ports are implemented and verified.
Attached is also a comprehensive Map layout. Writing the ports layout via Rtf seemed redundant as the map is comprehensive.
Best,
Elly
Hi Elly,

many thanks for all further help and contributions. Although I am afraid that there are still a few inconsistencies within your kext and port-layout.pdf.

For the missing completion of the kexts, please use the 2 files attached below, which also contain a modified port-layout drawing that also might need still some completion form your side.

Inconsistencies:

All 4 upper USB back panel connectors seems to be USB3.0! I assume, that the first one is assigned to HS05/SSP5 (3) and the other three share HS06/SSP6 on a common bridge (255), as now implemented in the revised kexts. By not implementing HS06, like in your kext above, you would loose backwards compatibly to USB2.0 for all three port. Please verify and confirm. Else it could also be that the other three USB3.0 ports are assigned to HS06/SSP6, HS07/SSP7 and HS08/SSP8, which actually however might not be the case. Please verify and confirm.

Therefore, the verified fully implemented kext for the X299 GA Gaming 7 now implements at least 16 ports, while in the truncated 15-port kext, I removed HS09 to stay within Apples 15-port limit. Thus internal USB2.0 header F_USB_2 will now only work for connecting one single device when using the truncated 15-port kext.

Another remaining question is whether HS07, HS08 and HS13,HS14 are assigned to internal devices like AURA or are really not used by this motherboard and therefor can be dropped from the kext. Please verify.

All the best and many thanks for your patience,

KGP

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Prime X299-A
CPU
i7-7820X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I really need help guys! My Vega 64 Liquid keeps its fan at 1500 rpm, I tried everything! VGTab (kext and SSDT) I also tried a Corsair ML and now I mounted a Noctua NF-AF12x25. Noctua is a lot more silent but I can still hear it at 1500! Reading about VGTab stuff it seems this app cannot handle watercooled version of Vega 64 or Vega Frontier and that's why the fan (probably) still stays at 1500rpm (stock idle speed) even If I set at much lower rpm in VGTab! I'm gettin mad at this! What should I do? Should I move to an air cooled card? Frontier Air? Vega 64 Air? Reference or Custom? Does anybody solved this issue someway?! Plz help!

@kgp any suggestion? You know have a Sapphire card, HDMIs work well? Should I prefer the Gigabyte (3xDP and 3xHDMI) since I got 3 x 4k monitors? Any indications about reference water-cooled Vegas?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Vega F.E.
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Please be careful with BIOS firmware 1603. On some ASUS motherboards, it might destroy the XHCI ACPI table under macOS. In consequence all onboard USB2.0 and USb3.0 connectors/headers will be functionless. I would rather recommend to go for BIOS firmware version 1503, which also implements the MSR lock disable BIOS feature. If you already installed 1603 in the meanwhile and you face the above USB issues, please convert back to 1503. You might need several CMOS resets in addition. For flashing your motherboard exclusively use EZ Flashback. If you use 1603 and you face the above USB issues, also boot flag npci=0x2000 might help.

Good luck,

KGP

Wow
You are a champion!

Just the problem I encountered, you've solved it :)

The four USB3 front work 100%
The four rear USB3 do not work at all
And the four rear USB2 workers are standard

Currently it's okay for me, but if you have a solution I'd be happy to update you

Anyway, here are some photos from the installation after your guide

Thanks for everything
I really appreciate it!

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 11.37.06.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 11.38.50.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 11.30.15.png

kgp

Retired
Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage 10G
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Wow
You are a champion!

Just the problem I encountered, you've solved it :)

The four USB3 front work 100%
The four rear USB3 do not work at all
And the four rear USB2 workers are standard

Currently it's okay for me, but if you have a solution I'd be happy to update you

Anyway, here are some photos from the installation after your guide

Thanks for everything
I really appreciate it!
Try using RAMALAMA-iMacPro-ASUS-R6E-XHCI-15port.kext and see respective guidelines. As you employ the Rampage VI Apex and not the Rampage VI Extreme, you might need to come up with a new board-specific fully implemented and truncated 15-port XHC USB kexts for the Rampage VI Apex, which I certainly would like to add to my XHC USB kext, once established.

Motherboard
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I really need help guys! My Vega 64 Liquid keeps its fan at 1500 rpm, I tried everything! VGTab (kext and SSDT) I also tried a Corsair ML and now I mounted a Noctua NF-AF12x25. Noctua is a lot more silent but I can still hear it at 1500! Reading about VGTab stuff it seems this app cannot handle watercooled version of Vega 64 or Vega Frontier and that's why the fan (probably) still stays at 1500rpm (stock idle speed) even If I set at much lower rpm in VGTab! I'm gettin mad at this! What should I do? Should I move to an air cooled card? Frontier Air? Vega 64 Air? Reference or Custom? Does anybody solved this issue someway?! Plz help!

@kgp any suggestion? You know have a Sapphire card, HDMIs work well? Should I prefer the Gigabyte (3xDP and 3xHDMI) since I got 3 x 4k monitors? Any indications about reference water-cooled Vegas?
Can you just connect the rad fan to the motherboard and cap the speeds?

Motherboard
Prime X299-A
CPU
i7-7820X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Can you just connect the rad fan to the motherboard and cap the speeds?
How? Simply using a Chassis fan header tweaked to run, let's say, at 800rpms? In this case the GPU won't be able to ramp up fans if it gets hotter?!

Motherboard
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
How? Simply using a Chassis fan header tweaked to run, let's say, at 800rpms? In this case the GPU won't be able to ramp up fans if it gets hotter?!
Yes that’s what I used to do in my previous build. I had 2x 980Ti hybrids and I connected them to the chassis fans (doesn’t have to be chassis fans, as long as it’s not a water pump header) as pwm fans and capped them at under 1,000 rpm.

See if your mobo has a heat sensor next to the gpu , and let the pwm rad fan get the sensor data from that gpu sensor so it can automatically ramp up and down.

Motherboard
Prime X299-A
CPU
i7-7820X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Yes that’s what I used to do in my previous build. I had 2x 980Ti hybrids and I connected them to the chassis fans (doesn’t have to be chassis fans, as long as it’s not a water pump header) as pwm fans and capped them at under 1,000 rpm.

See if your mobo has a heat sensor next to the gpu , and let the pwm rad fan get the sensor data from that gpu sensor so it can automatically ramp up and down.
My mobo got no GPU temp sensor at all, just CPU VRM PCH

Status
Not open for further replies.