Contribute
Register

imac late 2009 21.5 mod (need pinout help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have started this mod with a late 2009 imac 21.5" with a damaged logic board.

Things I want to reuse:

• LCD screen (solved, details to be posted below)
  • iSight camera (need pinout from 5 wire cable to 4 wire USB)
  • Card reader (solved, found pinout on the forum from 6 wire cable to 4 wire USB)
  • Bluetooth/wifi (found pinout on this forum, need to confirm wire colors are the same)
  • Internal speakers (need help with wiring, each speaker has 4 wires, how to connect to jack?)
  • PSU (partially solved, cannot find pinout anywhere, pins only for 12V need DC/DC converters for other voltages). Found pins to enable psu (connect them to power button), 2x12V, lcd back light and lcd pwm.
  • Internal HDD - intending to use the harness power for power, + USB3 to SATA adapter for data. I could not make it work, probably needs 5V wire that previously was coming from logic board, now I have a USB to SATA bridge from a damaged external USB.
  • Fans - need help with wiring, they have 5 wire cables...

I will edit this post as I get things moving along, with pictures and explanations.
I would really appreciate help regarding the pinouts.

need advice too i have a late 2009 imac 21.5" with damage motherboard
i want to put this motherboard:
LD0004234783_2.jpg

can it work? there is a LVDS connector

I have started this mod with a late 2009 imac 21.5" with a damaged logic board.

Things I want to reuse:
  • LCD screen (solved, details to be posted below)
I will edit this post as I get things moving along, with pictures and explanations.

Hi Memeka,

I've got the same iMac, with probably Motherboard out of order.
I'll just want to transform the machine as an external monitor.

Do you think that just a driver monitor will be OK for this ?
I'll find this product : Carte contrôleur pour dalle LM215WF3SLA1

If anybody knows, I will appreciate ;-)

Info:
LM215WF3-SDA1 is EDP connector.
LM215WF3-SLK1 is LVDS connector.
The input signal are different.
Controler SLK1 doesn't work with SDA1 but may be with converter LVDS to EDP.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Old thread I know, but wondering if item 2 on memeka's list regarding the iSight camera has been solved?

I have a late 2008 iMac and the camera also has five wires, which from specs I hunted down are I think as follows:

thin black = GND
grey = data-
purple = data+
brown = +5V
thick black = GND

However, wiring a USB with this (connecting both black wires to GND) does not work for me. Neither Ubuntu nor OSX recognises the camera. I've tried juggling some wires around to no avail (hopefully I didn't fry anything).

Anyone have an ideas? Is it possible that the mic also has to be connected? It used to patch into the audio board, maybe that connection is somehow required? I notice there are copper pins on the top of the iSight camera that must get depressed when the iMac frame is in place, perhaps this is somehow involved?

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back