Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
iMac G5 x86-mod with uATX Mainboard?

Hello again :)
A long time ago I planned a cube mod, but they are much too expensive - also the new hardware:problem:.
In this time I made my first Hackintosh:headbang:, a Lenovo/IBM T61 with 10.6.5 and 10.7 (Lion is very slow on it :S).
And now the old computer of my dad is going to visit the trash, so I got the idea to put the small uATX mainboard in a cheap, dead iMac G5! Mainboard: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5GCMX/specifications/
Can someone proof the concept? Maybe I can get some tips from experienced modders:)
For me the iMacs are looking big in their depth, but I can only find NUC mods here :/
Have a nice day!

Update: I got the chance to buy a iMac G5 A1076 20" in a really good optical condition for 30 bucks! It's GPU is broken, so the video-output is unusable. But I am more interested in the case, so, do you think the left one will fit in the right one?
IMG_1028.jpg
I think one problem will be the height of the RAM. Are there adapters to install RAM like in the iMac or laptops?
I want to realize it as cheap as possible, so I'm not able to buy a NUC.

I don't think it ill fit. You will need a really really thin CPU-Cooler, maybe even the USB, LAN, etc. connectors are too big for the case. Take into acount, that the LCD-panel needs depth, too.

You will have to measure it!

After seeing many brilliant mods on this forum, I've learned never to say "never".

That said, having built 5 separate G5 mods, I will admit that it would be an engineering marvel to fit anything bigger than a NUC into the iMac G5.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the answers!
I'm not ure if I sell all parts or try to mod it. I have to invest in a small graphicscard to use Kiwi's HDMI-mod. Beside this, it would be cheap :)
The LCD really needs A LOT depth, there is nothing to save space...
And the USB and LAN ports are too high, I have to cut them off and connect them to the originals, but my soldering skills and equipment are not the best, beside my english:D:oops:
The CPU-cooler has to be the G5's default (hard to install, even with many modifications) or a custom model (hard to make).
Another problem will be the RAM. I thought about sanding it to the minimum of height without damaging the electrics - there is not much space to get:lolno:. Do you know adapters for DDR2 to mount RAM like in the iMacs or laptops? Maybe it will fit when I dremel a bit out of the backpanel, there is a sheet metal construction.
At the moment I'm trying to reflow the defect GPU and have to get some torx screwdrivers....

Thanks for the answers!
I'm not ure if I sell all parts or try to mod it. I have to invest in a small graphicscard to use Kiwi's HDMI-mod. Beside this, it would be cheap :)
The LCD really needs A LOT depth, there is nothing to save space...
And the USB and LAN ports are too high, I have to cut them off and connect them to the originals, but my soldering skills and equipment are not the best, beside my english:D:oops:
The CPU-cooler has to be the G5's default (hard to install, even with many modifications) or a custom model (hard to make).
Another problem will be the RAM. I thought about sanding it to the minimum of height without damaging the electrics - there is not much space to get:lolno:. Do you know adapters for DDR2 to mount RAM like in the iMacs or laptops? Maybe it will fit when I dremel a bit out of the backpanel, there is a sheet metal construction.
At the moment I'm trying to reflow the defect GPU and have to get some torx screwdrivers....

Where are you from? What's your native tongue?

It looks awesome. One thing is sure: It isn't easy to mod an iMac. I'm going to mod one too, but I will go by the "secure" way: I want to put a NUC inside it.

But please, if you can, DO IT! It isn't anything more amazing that seeing someone doing something that everybody thinks is impossible :clap:;)

I will follow your thread and really wish that you end this proyect!

Thank you zombillano:) I'm german btw :)
You are right! It would be awesome and I really look up to Kiwi's and esterhernds mod's, but it takes a lot of time and money, not really what I got 2 months before my exam :/
And I have to be realistic - like Jascha said, there is nearly no space! They used laptop-hardware and I dont want to sacrifice my first hackintosh (Lenovo T61).
I've done a successful reflow on my iMac G5 and now I'm going to test 1. if I like the concept of iMac's in practice and 2. if the old hardware of my parents PC would be acceptable for hackintosh and me.
What do you say about nvidia's GT 610 as HDMI-graphicscard?

It would be too expensive - I`m going to sell the iMac G5, but still got plans for my desktop G5 :)

It will be easier to do a mod with the Desktop G5 than the imac G5. Why don't you just keep it for when you have enough money to mod it with a NUC or similar?

I'm looking for original iMacs from 2008+ now, I prefer the newer design. But there will follow a G5 Mod, around next year. I got a G5 in good condition here and love the design :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back