Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a pc that I never use. I just thought, hey why won't I buy a mini itx board were I put the celeron from my pc, and put it in a iMac g5 case. I will only leave the psu, SuperDrive and LCD screen.

I have googled and found out that the iMac has a LVDS connector for the display. There are VGA to LVDS controllers available.

Would my idea be possible? How can I put the motherboard in the case? So how can I attached it?

Have anyone ever done this?

Also think that a standard Mini-ITX will be too tall.

Better to try maybe to look at something like the thin ITX type Intel board that Neilhart is using on his Cube or one of the even smaller boards that is being used in the iMac G4 mod on this forum.

You can get a pretty good idea from tear down pictures and guides on the web, but in truth the only way to know for sure what'll work is to get a junk iMac G5 and crack it open and start measuring.

Here's a link to a teardown. From that I'd reckon that even a thin ITX would cause issues as Mac boards are always very non-standard and cram a huge amount into strange small nook and crannies.

I know for a fact that I am usually over optimistic on what I think may fit and that can lead to entertaining but expensive mistakes and blind alleys. if something is an easy fit then someone will have already done it. The new board form factors though are definitely opening up way more possibilities.

Thomth said:
I am looking to this motherboard. http://pden.zotac.com/index.php?page=sh ... t&Itemid=1

It has a build in wifi card. Is it flat enough. I'm planning to install the intel celeron on it and underclock it, to minimize the heat. What kind of cooler is good for this?

How deep is a iMac g5 case?

This motherboard from my opinion won't work.

Thomth said:
Why not? Which board is recommended?
Well if your going to run OS X then there are two boards known right now to run Lion with no issues and have Power Management.

GA-H67N-USB3-B3 - good luck finding but has Sata 3Gb x 2 and Sata 6Gb for a total of 4 ports.

GA-H61N-USB3 - is the replacement of the one above with only 2 Sata 3Gb ports and easy to get.

You can run the Intel board that Neilhart has going as you can see it runs Lion but took a bit and does not have Power Management.

That Zotac board I do believe will not have PW and you might have issues with the onboard wireless network but I do not know 100%, all I know is I was advised not to use that board for my Cube build.

But will that board fit in a iMac 20"? Are points for the screws at the right place? Because I won't make holes in my new motherboard

But will it fit in an iMac?

And will the screw holes on the mobo fit the screw holes in the iMac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back