Contribute
Register

iMac G4 20" | For The Love of Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good tip, I certainly will look into that cable. Still have the odd artifact and the first line of pixels at the top of the screen 'blink' when I have the cursor up there. Current status of the mod- scratching my head!

I have the 5V coming via pin #14 on the DVI, which enables the backlight beautifully. However sleep is not disabling the screen. Wondering if this is a software issue?

Happy enough- powering an old dfi lanparty (p55-36) board with a nvidia gt610 and various accessories with the original psu (which powers a pico sitting on the mobo's 24 pin input). I've downclocked my cpu to 2Ghz. However- its a tight fit inside. I may have to take some of the unnecessary motherboard IO's (PS/2) and the massive digital audio out off (de-solder) to fit this board in.

Or- NUC it! Glad to hear you are cracking on InsaneCultist!

Took the 'other path', installed Clover. Fixed Messages and Sleep. Backlight now switches off, cstates kick in and CPU spins down nicely. With an SSD HD and some added ram this hackintosh is crazy snappy. ;)

Hooked up the native/original fan (above native PSU) to motherboard and that keeps the whole faraday cage very cool, I have yet to install the actual 'computer' inside the G4's case though. It kind of fits. But will need some thought. The mess of cables for the DVI > HDMI conversion takes up a lot of space. A PCI extender will be used to seat the slimline GPU to the space below the original fan, alongside the G4's PSU. The SSD will go below the mobo allowing access from the original 'hatch'.

Since I'm downclocking to 2.0Ghz on an i5 with the original Intel Fan, with some tweaks of voltage / fan speed I find I never go over 50'. Heat doesn't look like a problem. For now!

Hi Guys,

I've red your posts about the mod and it's sounds great. I'd like to do the same with my iMac G4 20" but I'm a bit scared.
I'm planning to design an electronic card, where i can hook up the original tmds cable and then get the signal out on DVI-DI or mini HDMI. I don't wanna alter my original tmds cable.

Have you got an actual pinout for the TMDS connector female?

Thanks in adavance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back