Contribute
Register

iMac G3 Test Bench / Show case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Minihack,

some news, good. I was thinking, if i would ever hack my iMac, what to do too. Get a low resolution screen that fits the original case, or buy a newer panel with up-to-date resolutions. Problem is, what to do with the space that´s left, the original being 4:3 and the new being Widescreen units. Have You come up with an idea what you will do to cover up the "holes"?

Olli

My thought at the moment is a bit radical.

I have bought a diamond cutting wheel for the Dremel and plan to remove the front of the CRT - a straight cut behind the fixing band. This will give the curved perfect fit front for the iMac. Then I will make up a flat acrylic surround for the MBP screen that will also mount internally to the same four mounting points. That way I will have a perfect curved front and a perfect flat mount internally for the screen.

The acrylic frame I will most likely make with a black "passepartout" for the screen to show through. This way I won't need to worry about mounting a flat screen to a curved surround or think about cutting the case. I hope that polishing the glass from the CRT and re-finishing the inside of it will look cool (instead of terrible!). I also hope that by having this small distance between front glass and where the new screen is internally mounted will enable all of the screen estate of the MBP to be viewed so that I will not have to try and limit the resolution - an iMac G3 with 2880 by 1800 appeals to me.....

A "bit radical"... sounds like a lot of understatement if you ask me. I really want to see the results of this OP!!

Olli

Well, I never see the point in doing something if it has been done before. I always want to try something new!

I have watched videos where the front of a CRT has been successfully cut before, so that part of it should be achievable with some luck. I do need to get myself a face mask though and make sure that the recycling centre will take what is left over from my operations....

Current thinking is to find a nice ITX board that has display port and HDMI and make a simple build with that.

The mini-ITX board that really has my interest is the ASRock Z87E-ITX. This board has it all (on board WiFi card slot with card, mSATA slot, 6 6GBs SATA, DVI, HDMi, DP, DDR3 240 pin slots). Just waiting until someone brings it up with OS X on a quick Haswell CPU.

Good modding,
neil

The mini-ITX board that really has my interest is the ASRock Z87E-ITX. This board has it all (on board WiFi card slot with card, mSATA slot, 6 6GBs SATA, DVI, HDMi, DP, DDR3 240 pin slots). Just waiting until someone brings it up with OS X on a quick Haswell CPU.

Good modding,
neil

I agree, but as this one now looks like it might go back to my wife after modding I might actually go with a cheaper ITX board.

Of the selection on the market at the moment I am thinking of the MSI board. Having just read a comparative review in "Custom PC" it ended up being the one they recommend as although it seems slightly slower than the others it is actually a very close run thing. Audio is ALC892, wifi card can be swapped out (although she actually connects via LAN - which is Realtek, so hopefully compatible). Also as the iMac has a good amount of room in it for storage etc (compared to all of our recent Cube builds!) it does not need to have mSATA and it is available here in the UK for £101. So that and a CPU with integrated graphics is probably more than enough to make it fly for the use it will get. I can re-cycle a slot loader I have here as well as an HDD and some memory and it should all work out relatively inexpensive.

It all also makes a technically challenging and different project for me that actually will end up being used!

what about using the intel NUC that Ersterhernd and MacTester57 used for their Imac G4 mods? with it being small enough to fit inside the G4 dome you would maximize your available space inside the Imac G3 case and you could then concentrate on making the I/O adapters so you could reuse the original I/O and power switches to fire up the NUC. combining that with keeping the glass CRT front piece to showcase your work inside the case would be pretty darn sweet IMHO.

what about using the intel NUC that Ersterhernd and MacTester57 used for their Imac G4 mods? with it being small enough to fit inside the G4 dome you would maximize your available space inside the Imac G3 case and you could then concentrate on making the I/O adapters so you could reuse the original I/O and power switches to fire up the NUC. combining that with keeping the glass CRT front piece to showcase your work inside the case would be pretty darn sweet IMHO.

While the NUC probably would be powerful enough for what the case would be used for I think it is a shame to waste all the space that is inside the G3. An ITX will have plenty of room and I want to have SATA connections for the HDD and DVD.

My plan is to use the amplifier I have for some external speakers and put that inside the iMac to power the original iMac spaekers, to use the headphone/mic connections from a Corsair panel I have and place them at the same position as the current iMac headphone/mic connections. I also want to see if I can take the webcam from the MacBook Pro lid I have coming and put that at the top of the iMac where the built in mic is currently.

The rear panel DP connection from the ITX board will go to the retina panel and I will have a lead taking the HDMI output and placing it in the same spot as where the G3 had a VGA out connection. I'll then make up a panel at the side of the iMac (which will be cut to take the same shape as and to replace the original iMac IO ports) with some USB ports and ethernet etc. This will make a nice little all in one that seemingly has only one external cut to it - for the fan.

Anyway, that's the current thinking. First I think I will do the fun bits though - all the re-wiring of the IO power switch, speakers etc. before I pull my wallet out.

I also have an interesting MDD re-invention going on right now that I am working on, as well as the Cube and the G5 so things don't always go as rapidly as I would like.:)

Just curious where you plan to install a fan...or two. How are you planning to condition [filter] cooler air drawn into the case? Been waiting a while to mod my G3/400 DV SE; this should be the incentive I need. Thanks!

Just curious where you plan to install a fan...or two. How are you planning to condition [filter] cooler air drawn into the case? Been waiting a while to mod my G3/400 DV SE; this should be the incentive I need. Thanks!

Hi Guitar Jim,

I was surprised when taking the iMac apart actually how well ventilated the case is. As original there were no fans in the case at all, but I do plan three - one will be the power supply fan, one an exhaust fan (at the top by the "handle" area) and a CPU fan as part of whatever cooler I go for.

As for filtration, I will probably just go with a filter on the PSU intake, but might not even do that.. I know that there is a school of thought to filter everything that could get into the case and also even to block up holes where there is no direct filter or intake, but actually I don't want to go that route.

I have been thinking about this case a bit and how the air will flow, but basically looking at what had accumulated in the G3 from around 8 years of use (and I know for a fact it was on every day and was never cleaned on the inside) I am of the opinion that the case works reasonably well for medium powered equipment. The faraday cage that surrounds everything on the lower half is literally full of tiny perforations and they seem to have worked pretty well as a filter - so I am keeping that. Basically my PSU is upside down to draw air from the lower half of the iMac - so air getting in has to come through the cage perforations first - and then push it backwards and up, the top fan then pulls warm air from the top of the case and push it out.

Also the chances are that with my being a constant "tinkerer" the case is not exactly going to stay untouched for 8 years ever again, so I will monitor how things go!

I have been working on this case today so some photos to come.:D

Updates:

In a flurry of activity I have now re-wired the power button and LED, replaced the front audio jacks with HD Audio versions, ripped an amplifier from some power speakers and adapted it to power the iMAc speakers, re-bodied a modern slot loading DVD drive into the old DVD ROM drive case and installed the PSU.

Here are a few pic.s of the progress.

Power Button and LED

This is the original wiring:

z5ok.jpg

Basically four wires, black, white, red and green.

From the front it looks like this:

rcc9.jpg
A bit of simple checking with the multimeter shows the wiring: Black is power switch return and LED return (i.e. they both use this wire as their negative lead like with the G5 powermac and others); white is power switch positive side; red is "LED 1" positive and green is "LED 2" positive.

Here, note the LED is a bi-colour LED, one green LED and one amber LED. It turns out that LED1 is the amber and LED 2 is the green one.

For a standard power on LED you should only wire up one of these and then insulate the other wire.

3p3m.jpg

pjhz.jpg

As you can see I kept the connector and then spliced on motherboard connectors and insulated them - job done!

Front Audio Jacks

These are the wire colours on the original audio jacks

mcy6.jpg

and this is the original board:

7h6j.jpg

I probably should have taken my time and checked the wires of these and seen if I could re-wire them to meet the HD Audio standard for PCs, but instead I took the faster route and found that the good old Corsair Obsidian has a pair of audio jacks on the front panel connector that have the same spacing as the iMac.

83cp.jpg

cten.jpg

So I decided to use this (also the power switch, LED, USB and USB 3 connections from this Corsair panel I am re-using in the build too) .

So it was a simple case of remove the original board, cut the audio connection part from the Corsair board (luckily all connections are exactly behind the jacks), and hot glue the new trimmed board in place for a perfect fit.

mqt2.jpg

IMac Speakers

I love the original speakers, but they need an amplifier and so out from my pile of stuff came a pair of old Phillips mains powered PC speakers.

xakq.jpg

A couple of minutes with a multi tool later:

fjtu.jpg

Good news - they work from 12v…this fuzzy photo shows a mains to 12 v transformer:

mabc.jpg

So here is the board and transformer combination:

1b0t.jpg

A close up of the PCB:

4pjk.jpg

The large capacitor on the right is a smoothing capacitor - to smooth out the converted 12 volt AC and at the bottom, the four diodes are a simple bridge rectifier design. These components are redundant for me as I will be using the 12v regulated from an ATX supply.

So the plan was to remove the capacitor and input DC 12 volts directly across where the capacitor had been, making sure the ground side of the 12 v is connected to where the negative side of the capacitor was (as shown here):

mne5.jpg

and now with capacitor removed:

j1t7.jpg

After that it was just a case of de-soldering the old speaker connections and wiring in the iMAc speakers and adding a molex power connector.

And here is my amplifier module now mounted in place:

rrco.jpg

Power Supply placement

I had decided to use my Silverstone SFF 450W PSU as it is nice and quiet, more than powerful enough for what I want to do and more of a challenge to fit than a PicoPSU (!). Also my pico is for my Cube build, so as I had this supply I decided to use it here.

I wanted to place it low in the case, breathing from the lower half, but of course as the iMac tapers it will not all fit under the large metal floor, so I need to cut the floor to allow it to poke through.

First though I needed to make sure it would be as far to the front of the case as I could get it without it interfering with the drive holder. It needs to be as up front as possible, because the case is fatter there.

Here is my best guess of where it needs to sit having placed the hard drive holder in position:

wsfk.jpg

t4fy.jpg

nhor.jpg

So I drew around the supply to define a hole for it:

otlc.jpg

and 12 cutting disks later this is the first fit from the top side:

wt2v.jpg

By top side, I mean the side where the motherboard will be, so the plan is to have wires for the motherboard coming up from the supply and wires for the hard drives, amplifier etc going down to the underside of the support shelf.

The metal plate by the way is the heaviest duty Mac case metal I have so far encountered. It is way thicker and harder to cut than a PowerMac G4 or 5….I needed around 10 disks for this hole.

9nuf.jpg

I then did a check with the faraday cage on to see how the power supply would "sit"

wmxr.jpg

wktb.jpg

Finally then today I installed all of the parts to see how everything looked:

hj90.jpg

Pic above shows the "under" view without the faraday cage but showing PSU, amplifier, and all drives and wiring.

So far so good….

Next to come is then taking it all apart again for the side IO panel and also putting some motherboard mounts on the top side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back