Contribute
Register

iMac 24 2006 Mod- Safety Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would caution about determining the iMac PSU pinout- it is confusing. All the wires are black!

It'll be a necessary first step to test and label all pinouts from a running 24" Machine to determine which wires are which.

I may have found one on CL, see if it works out. So far haven't been lucky in finding any info from this being done previously.

Cheers
Ersterhernd

Hi, I have an imac 24 of 2006 to be converted to external monitor ... I have already found what I need, but I would like to use the original Apple PSU, because it will certainly be better than the Chinese offered to me by the retailer.

Hoping to please you I am attaching the links of the pieces.
Here LVDS Offered by the retailer HERE
Here PSU Offered by the seller HERE
Here LCD panel datasheet and pinout HERE

Having these info, in the afternoon I should be able to post a pinout of the Apple PSU.

Apple PSU Front
View attachment 331851
Apple PSU Rear - Pin 7 track signed in Blue
View attachment 331853

PINOUT PSU:
View attachment 331854View attachment 331852
I hope you can use it as a single PSU, even if I have doubts about the brightness adjustment and re-closability of everything. Indeed, I would add that if the work succeeded, the next step will also be to link the original speakers, always allowing spaces.

EDIT: Upload photo, PINOUT PSU, PIN 7 Track
EDIT2: Del pin 7 al momento non ne ho certezza, sul PSU perdo la pista, ma è presente un cavo che va alla Motherboard. L'alimentatore è Always ON

Last edited:
For anyone wondering on how to mod a 20" version, I will be making a thread in the coming days. Here is the finished product I have now. Working on adding a speaker inside as well as possibly hooking up the iSight Camera. Very exciting- because it works- and very stable.
fullsizeoutput_2878.jpeg

I think the 20-inch psu has some difference ... did you use that ??
The brightness how do you manage it ??

image.jpg
I think the 20-inch psu has some difference ... did you use that ??
The brightness how do you manage it ??

I used an external PSU (12V 5A CHANZON) for this mod. For a 20 inch, this is a much better solution than an internal PSU. For a 24 inch, however, I believe the screen required 24V rather than the 12V the 20 inch required- but I could be wrong.

For the brightness, the control board has control to change the picture brightness, but I have not yet figured out how to change the backlight setting. I really don’t see the need to change the CCFL backlight brightness.

Perfect ... but we always talk about a 20-inch powered by the LVDS card.
If someone would confirm that I can give the 12V via the board LVDS, and 24v provide them separately (keeping the brightness adjustable), I would buy a kit now, to make this change ... also because the pinout of the Apple PSU, and based to the data that reports, I could very well use that having as output 24V 4A and 12.1V 10.3A.

Let's say that the thought I'm doing it, also because when the imac of 2007 will abandon me, I will remain the screen .. and done the first, I do not think to give up to make a second

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right thread or subforum, but here goes nothing. I connected the internal iSight from the shell of my Late 2006 20 inch iMac mod to USB. Pinout works like a charm and is detected by Mac. But, It is not working on High Sierra. On Sierra it shows up as Built-in-iSight in the System Report. In High Sierra, it shows up as "Vendor-Specific Device". While this seems to be the case with a few machines on the internet, most of the solutions are from leopard/snow leopard days. It has worked like a charm on an iBook G4 running leopard and a Mac mini 2014 running Sierra- but after the upgrade, it has stopped working.

Does it have something to do with a kext? After the upgrade, I noticed that there was no AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext in the System---> Extensions folder. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to kexts, so I tried to use a supposedly patched kext and dropped it in using Kext Helper 0.7 (seems old). Still isn't working. It's not a hardware problem so it must be on the software side of the equation.

Would dropping the AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext from Sierra into High Sierra do the trick? I don't have any clue about what to do beyond that.

Thanks,
FlyingApple.

I'm in the process of upgrading my 2006 A1200 24" iMac due to graphics issues and the need for a faster machine.

I love the design and there's no way I want to get rid of this.

I accidentally purchased the 20" kit for the eQ Store and I've tested it to work fine on some spare 20" iMac parts I had, including having it all run off the original iMac PSU.

I'm trying to do all the research before I diassemble the iMac as although I've got a fair bit of experience working with the white generation, my 24" is in great condition and I don't want to mess something simple up.

Unless it dies, I am using the original PSU to power the controller and display/backlight as it seems wasteful to buy a new one.

The unknown for me is the inverter on the 24" display being built in. I've read in this thread of some 'control' wires and I'm not sure where these would go.

Has anyone successfully modified the display to work? I would also REALLY like to have backlight brightness adjustment as I find the stock lowest brightness far too bright.

Thanks,

I'm in the process of upgrading my 2006 A1200 24" iMac due to graphics issues and the need for a faster machine.

I love the design and there's no way I want to get rid of this.

I accidentally purchased the 20" kit for the eQ Store and I've tested it to work fine on some spare 20" iMac parts I had, including having it all run off the original iMac PSU.

I'm trying to do all the research before I diassemble the iMac as although I've got a fair bit of experience working with the white generation, my 24" is in great condition and I don't want to mess something simple up.

Unless it dies, I am using the original PSU to power the controller and display/backlight as it seems wasteful to buy a new one.

The unknown for me is the inverter on the 24" display being built in. I've read in this thread of some 'control' wires and I'm not sure where these would go.

Has anyone successfully modified the display to work? I would also REALLY like to have backlight brightness adjustment as I find the stock lowest brightness far too bright.

Thanks,

I’ve modified it to work with a third party PSU. I used the EQ Store kit for the display and connected the controller board, PSU, and inverter so they make kind of a triangle of wires. Basically, you plug a standard ATX power supply cable to the PSU, connect the 12v to controller board, 24v to inverter, and a green and white wire from inverted to controller board for what I would assume is brightness. And LVDS from controller board to Display.

Mine died in a matter of minutes as I improperly sealed the EMI shielding up.

The aftermarket PSU works but it’s heatsinks just barely miss the back of the display, so be sure to insulate back of display and under all the boards.

If you have any questions or want pictures of the setup I’d be happy to help. (or just look further up in the thread).

Thanks!

(also, can anyone help me with my iSight dilemma?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back