Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
iMac
CPU
Core 2 Duo
Graphics
I don't know, but they're probably crappy
Hello,

I am quite a big fan of the white iMacs and have been researching how to mod a 24 inch model from 2006 through its LVDS connection for a while now. I bought my controller board and power supply from an eBay seller eQ store. It is compatible with the LCD from the iMac. I am ready to proceed with the mod but I have a few safety concerns.

Here is the LCD Power Supply they sent me.

View media item 189099View media item 189098
I have figured out all the connections. It will fit into the iMacs enclosure. I plan to insulate underneath and in front of the PSU using electrical/vinyl tape. I'm not sure how to mount it yet either. My biggest concern is about the high voltage. The Inverter and PSU connect directly to each other (I am using the factory apple inverter). The cable is a standard ribbon cable. However, since a lot of power will go through these wires I am concerned about the insulation gradually wearing down over time. Would wrapping the wires in electrical tape solve the problem by adding another layer of insulation?

Also, I have heard a lot of scary stories about big capacitors and high voltage wires on the vast expanse of the internet. Should I be worried that the PSU will arc to the metal enclosure? Must I place the PSU in a case inside the iMac housing? Just want to know all these answers so I don't get killed for the sake of modding an iMac. And I assume the PSU has not been powered on in a long time if ever because it just made a three week journey from China.

Any help is appreiciated.
FlyingApple

Hello,

I am quite a big fan of the white iMacs and have been researching how to mod a 24 inch model from 2006 through its LVDS connection for a while now. I bought my controller board and power supply from an eBay seller eQ store. It is compatible with the LCD from the iMac. I am ready to proceed with the mod but I have a few safety concerns.

Here is the LCD Power Supply they sent me.

View media item 189099View media item 189098
I have figured out all the connections. It will fit into the iMacs enclosure. I plan to insulate underneath and in front of the PSU using electrical/vinyl tape. I'm not sure how to mount it yet either. My biggest concern is about the high voltage. The Inverter and PSU connect directly to each other (I am using the factory apple inverter). The cable is a standard ribbon cable. However, since a lot of power will go through these wires I am concerned about the insulation gradually wearing down over time. Would wrapping the wires in electrical tape solve the problem by adding another layer of insulation?

Also, I have heard a lot of scary stories about big capacitors and high voltage wires on the vast expanse of the internet. Should I be worried that the PSU will arc to the metal enclosure? Must I place the PSU in a case inside the iMac housing? Just want to know all these answers so I don't get killed for the sake of modding an iMac. And I assume the PSU has not been powered on in a long time if ever because it just made a three week journey from China.

Any help is appreiciated.
FlyingApple

No ideas anyone?

You're asking some pretty technical questions, so it will probably take some time to get answers. As per the PSU, I'd probably try to get some kind of enclosure, but that's just me. I know the G5 model PSU was fairly contained, but the later models weren't as much, so it's probably more dependent on how you layout the internals.

You're asking some pretty technical questions, so it will probably take some time to get answers. As per the PSU, I'd probably try to get some kind of enclosure, but that's just me. I know the G5 model PSU was fairly contained, but the later models weren't as much, so it's probably more dependent on how you layout the internals.

What would make a good enclosure? It can't add that much thickness to the PSU because it is just fitting as it is now.

That sounds cool! Would love to know how it turns (or turned) out.

No ideas anyone?

Hi FlyingApple,

Could you post a link to the LVDS converter you purchased? I'm interested in pursuing this mod as well, but am perplexed by the LVDS and 75w power requirement for the panel backlights. I've only modded TMDS systems up to this point, in various forms.

Thanks
Ersterhernd

I'm also very interested. I've successfully got running a G5 iMac with a laptop MB, thanks to all the nice write ups here. I have a 20" G4 next I will like to do, and a 24" white iMac also sitting around. Those designs are just too good to just be paper weight.

Here is my opinion on this. From what I understand is LVDS should be compliant. All you would need is a compatible connector cable, as long the MB has the internal connector. For instance the thin itx DQ77KB LVDS connector on the MB would connect the panel having the right cable 30 to 40pin I believe. Also there is the 7pin inverter connector on the MB. I'm not sure the connector pin# on the 24". The 20" G4 seems to have 7 wire pin connection to the inverter as Ersterhernd thread on his mod shows. All I think one needs to supply is the correct voltages to the inverter. From intel white paper on LVDS there is also an 2A per pin max for the inverter support. I don't totally understand that. The DQ board has 2 option 5V or 12V via a jumper. Perhaps that enough for LED panels only? What if one perhaps can hijack the 12V lines and boost them to 24V? Would that work, or am I way way off?

CACA32AE-141E-4A3D-831D-8E42A3EC9BF4.jpeg
57EDFDD6-60B8-43E6-A9BD-6C2D43C8E182.jpeg
81B88179-DFF4-49C7-B42A-668D977AF03D.jpeg
AEF883CA-90AE-4E3E-9775-F3A8E846049B.jpeg
27390DB2-71FD-4A19-B87F-E0CC7E6E5EE8.jpeg
E837BAF1-1920-4E36-82FB-840EE414B387.jpeg
C28DBE20-589D-40F2-A5C4-AB3B17657C6C.jpeg
CACA32AE-141E-4A3D-831D-8E42A3EC9BF4.jpeg
Hi FlyingApple,

Could you post a link to the LVDS converter you purchased? I'm interested in pursuing this mod as well, but am perplexed by the LVDS and 75w power requirement for the panel backlights. I've only modded TMDS systems up to this point, in various forms.

Thanks
Ersterhernd

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121409378912

I bought something like this, but for the SL A1 version (24 inch)

I actually did do the project. It worked pretty well, until the PSU tripped a breaker after about 5 minutes of use. From there on out the PSU broke. I bought another unit, but I think the controller board was fried was well.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/122481968571

Here is the power supply I used.

I am looking to get back into the project, but I need some help. I want to know how to properly mount the bare circuit boards inside the case. When I last attempted the project I just kind of placed them in an electrical taped enclosure. In addition, I’d like to know if there’s any way I can make a new 24 inch monitor fit inside the enclosure.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Is there no way to use the controller board to control only the LVDS signalling and NOT the backlights? I'm wondering why you'd need a special aftermarket PSU in there when re-using the iMac PSU has been done numerous times before in other models.

I'll look into this further when I actually get my hands on a 24". There must be a way to determine the pinouts of the existing iMac inverter and PSU to re-utilize these parts and add only the LVDS controller board.

Thanks for the pics.

Ersterhernd

Is there no way to use the controller board to control only the LVDS signalling and NOT the backlights? I'm wondering why you'd need a special aftermarket PSU in there when re-using the iMac PSU has been done numerous times before in other models.

I'll look into this further when I actually get my hands on a 24". There must be a way to determine the pinouts of the existing iMac inverter and PSU to re-utilize these parts and add only the LVDS controller board.

Thanks for the pics.

Ersterhernd

So basically I understand the design of the controller board and inverter and my PSU like this:
-Power Supply has 24V and 12V outputs.
-12V goes to controller board.
-24V goes to inverter.
-There are then two wires that go from inverter to controller board. These must be the control wires.
You could take the green/white controller wires from inverter and controller board and keep them the same, but splice the 24V from inverter to iMac PSU rather than aftermarket PSU. And then either power the 12V controller board from the iMac PSU as well or a laptop charger.

The aftermarket PSU I got was bad, and tripped a breaker after 5 minutes. I’m still not sure what caused this. My newest theory is that- since my mod went out when I turned on a CRT nearby- is that the holes in the design and lack of EMI shielding might’ve caused this. I don’t really know- but I wouldn’t use that PSU again.

I am trying this project again, but with a 20 inch model that doesn’t require an aftermarket PSU board- just a 12V charger, similar to a laptop charger. Components ordered and on their way from China.

I would caution about determining the iMac PSU pinout- it is confusing. All the wires are black!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back