Contribute
Register

I'm trying to install High Sierra tomorrow, dual booting it with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, uncheking a option in BIOS before installing and then checking it again? Huh, okay.
What would be useful is if AMI and 'BIOS' vendors implemented an interface to to the EFI device path rather than adding a mouse pointer and bad graphics to the legacy boot disk paradigm. They already have the filesystem interface, seems its only used for saving overclocking profiles and locating BIOS updates.

Hi

Interesting conversation. I agree and also disagree with some of what's been said here (for what it's worth).

I have personal experience that 120gb is certainly enough for both OSs to run together, however I can can also vouch for the fact that they CAN interfere, especially if you use third-party HFS or NTFS drivers. This does allow one to 'see' the other and can (and has here) cause havoc. Funnily enough it isn't the actual third-party driver causing the problem but other applications. For example I was using software by a very well-known company on the Windows side and it decided to update, unilaterally, without permission. This caused file-system corruption to the HFS drive and left a set of files as a calling card. Proof positive to the second date-stamp wise. Only way out was to reformat. Even those well-known disk utilities couldn't recover the drive - which in my case was a separate SSD.

It's true the only way to stay completely sure is to use separate drives and disconnect the one not being used, but that's not really a pleasant option.

True too you would probably need a separate Data drive if you go the single 120GB way and enjoy video editing.

For me a bit of a win would be if BootCamp could work on a Hack'. If you've ever tried it on a real Mac you'll know what I mean. It's almost flawless. But that's a serious technology emulation, I suspect.
:)

however I can can also vouch for the fact that they CAN interfere, especially if you use third-party HFS or NTFS drivers. This does allow one to 'see' the other and can (and has here) cause havoc.
This problem is not specific to 'multi-booting' (legacy BIOS ran a single program starting from the first sector of a single disk) from the same disk. The same is true using a non-read-only, third-party or reverse-engineered filesystem driver with any media, not just a shared boot volume. I think @BphemiaDrinler was referring to the problems encountered using Clover without adding the path to the EFI executable to the firmware's boot menu.

Personally i don't mount Windows volumes in macOS (even if the default is read-only probably for this very reason) but i certainly don't mount macOS volumes in Windows (no support by default). Tried many possibilities to have a common storage volume that all OSs could mount, read and modify. FAT32 is closest, on smaller volumes it does work well, but don't go storing your important files there.

Last edited:
This problem is not specific to 'multi-booting' (legacy BIOS ran a single program starting from the first sector of a single disk) from the same disk. The same is true using a non-read-only, third-party or reverse-engineered filesystem driver with any media, not just a shared boot volume. I think @BphemiaDrinler was referring to the problems encountered using Clover without adding the path to the EFI executable to the firmware's boot menu.

Personally i don't mount Windows volumes in macOS (even if the default is read-only probably for this very reason) but i certainly don't mount macOS volumes in Windows (no support by default). Tried many possibilities to have a common storage volume that all OSs could mount, read and modify. FAT32 is closest, on smaller volumes it does work well, but don't go storing your important files there.

Agreed. I've found exFAT very flakey even though it allows larger file sizes.
:)

I've used NTFS for Mac on the MacOS side and MacDrive on the windows side for years. Always mount my windows HDD on the mac side, and vice versa, and use a separate HDD in HFS format for storage. Works on both, no issue, ever.

Back on the days when I dual booted from the same HDD however - and not only on clover, but chameleon or Chimera - every 3 months something that shouldn't happen, happened. I'd boot windows and discover that I had the boot:0 error for no reason whatsoever, or I'd install windows last and the windows bootmanager would overwrite the bootloader, or windows would keep asking me to reformat my mac partition because it couldn't be used, or the machine wouldn't post, etc, etc.

This occurrences were random, often inexplicable and, more often than not, unfixable,

Since I started to use separate drives - and turning one off on BIOS when installing an OS on the other - I never had any issues. I have access to anything, in either OS, no hassle, no mysterious issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back