GA Z77 DS3H
CPU
I5-2500k
Graphics
Nvidia GForce 210
ga z-77 ds3h v1.0
i5 2500k
16 gb RAM

My Hack runs great. It's the first computer I've ever built and I use it for music production. Logic, Ableton Live, and Maschine are running just fine. I gave up on having a functional ethernet port following the upgrade to 10.6.8. Tried many different Atheros kexts but nothing worked. Finally decided I would leave it offline.

I was also never truly able to "see" Hd3000 in System Info though I did eventually manage to get the full 1600 x 900 resolution for my Acer monitor via DVI. I used the correct SBInjector Kext that was in the latest multibeast with the updated code for z77/i5 combinations, and have GraphicsEnabler/Yes selected. My System Info continues to say GPU and built in, but no HD3000. Device Id has remained at 0x0112 and I have 64Mb VRAM. Display names are not listed. Eventually, I decided I'd give up on this too as I was primarily using the rig for audio and I had my resolution so I was happy.

Here's the issue I'm running into: I purchased a second identical Acer monitor for an extended desktop in Logic but whenever I try to connect the monitor through the HDMI port with a DVI>HDMI adapter I get nothing. I was hoping to use one through DVI and one through HDMI. Up until now I had been using DVI without issues. Even when I try to run one monitor through HDMI I get nothing.

Is this related to the HD3000 issue? Will the HDMI port not become active until I've sorted the HD3000 issue?

I'm trying to avoid having to pick up a graphics card which I know is the easier solution.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to assist. I've done a lot of reading and experimentation but have yet to come across a solution.

ga z-77 ds3h v1.0
i5 2500k
16 gb RAM

My Hack runs great. It's the first computer I've ever built and I use it for music production. Logic, Ableton Live, and Maschine are running just fine. I gave up on having a functional ethernet port following the upgrade to 10.6.8. Tried many different Atheros kexts but nothing worked. Finally decided I would leave it offline.

I was also never truly able to "see" Hd3000 in System Info though I did eventually manage to get the full 1600 x 900 resolution for my Acer monitor via DVI. I used the correct SBInjector Kext that was in the latest multibeast with the updated code for z77/i5 combinations, and have GraphicsEnabler/Yes selected. My System Info continues to say GPU and built in, but no HD3000. Device Id has remained at 0x0112 and I have 64Mb VRAM. Display names are not listed. Eventually, I decided I'd give up on this too as I was primarily using the rig for audio and I had my resolution so I was happy.

Here's the issue I'm running into: I purchased a second identical Acer monitor for an extended desktop in Logic but whenever I try to connect the monitor through the HDMI port with a DVI>HDMI adapter I get nothing. I was hoping to use one through DVI and one through HDMI. Up until now I had been using DVI without issues. Even when I try to run one monitor through HDMI I get nothing.

Is this related to the HD3000 issue? Will the HDMI port not become active until I've sorted the HD3000 issue?

I'm trying to avoid having to pick up a graphics card which I know is the easier solution.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to assist. I've done a lot of reading and experimentation but have yet to come across a solution.

intromission

Not to sure if this works w the HD3000 but you may need to inject from the CHimera or Chameleon boot loader a Device id that will allow you to use multiple ports.

See this blog - http://blog.stuffedcow.net/2012/07/intel-hd4000-qeci-acceleration/
you maybe able to ask the blog monitor how to set your HD3000.

And also suggest you add a partition to your hard drive so that you can create a backup volume and use Carbon Copy Cloner to make this partition bootable.

Thanks totenkopf4 for the reply.

After spending all day yesterday tweaking things and having to fix a couple of things when not booting correctly with GraphicsEnabler=No by the evening I had settled on getting a video card.

This morning however, I came across this post and decided to take a further look into editing my device ID into the chameleon.info.plist:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/69978-i5-2500k-device-id-0x0112-owners-thread-hd-3000-qe-ci.html

Now I may have done something I cannot recover from so easily.

Immediately following the edit and adding device ID 0x01128086 to both AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB and AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri with Kextbeast I was no longer able to boot.

It starts out looking like it will boot fine (grey and white apple screen) and then the top part of my screen will develop a black bar with all manner of colored lines and artifacts and then it will simply not boot.

I have tried all kinds of boot options and there is no real change. Safe mode shows the bar filling up which drops out before reaching the end and still hangs with the black bar along the top, -f produces a bar without colored artifacts but won't load, -F produces no black bar but goes to a black screen and then disconnects monitor signal. GraphicsEnabler=No which came in so handy yesterday does nothing.

When I boot with -v it gets stuck with a message that continues to loop endlessly: Waves SoundGrid Error getting list of Ethernet Interfaces: 6.

I have not tried booting from Iboot yet, but I am about to run to the store and pick up a DVD-R DL so that I can burn the OSX Disc from my G4.

I'm hoping to avoid having to do a reinstall of everything, but in the case that I am able to boot with Iboot, what are your recommendations at this point?

What could have changed from editing the device ID? Do I just go in an delete the ID and repair disc permissions etc?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Update. Went to Microcenter and picked up a GA GeForce 210 1GB card for $9 after rebate (that was a welcome surprise, keeping my budget in check).

Installed the card and was then able to bypass the boot issue by making some Bios changes (Disabling onboard). Successfully got to the Desktop with the card. Boot was fast too. About 15 seconds as opposed to 1 minute and a half with internal graphics.

Resolution was stuck and nothing was recognized in System Info as before. Followed the directions on the following site pertaining to editing the string with 0sx86 tools and still had nothing:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...r3-working/page__pid__1735080__mode__threaded

Then I found this video which worked beautifully:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2B5YzEe2jc

Installed NVEnabler and rebooted. Had recognition in System Info. Display names, full VRAM etc., full resolution. Translucent bars on Desktop, Screensaver animation. Great! Switched to HDMI from DVI. Works also. Plugged DVI back in. Rebooted with 2nd monitor connected to VGA...Nothing...HDMI...Nothing. Start researching a solution.

Find the suggestion to install the NVIDIA update 2.1.0 from TonyMacx86. First I delete edited string from earlier, then I update. Got some errors. Rebooted. Lost everything and back at fixed resolution with nothing recognized. Looked in the back-up folder created by NVIDIA update and placed everything on the desktop for Kextbeast. Fixed permissions and rebooted.

Well, I'm good again, but I still cannot get that 2nd monitor. I've read here and there that the card can only do two digital or two analog and not mixed, then I'll read that VGA works fine with either HDMI or DVI.

I have GraphicsEnabler=Yes and my boot flags are arch=i386 npci=0x2000 and PCIRootUID=1 from before when I was messing about with the HD3000. I believe I need the GraphicsEnabler=Yes but is there a chance any of these old boot flags could be causing a conflict. I'm so close...:crazy:

If all else fails, at this point I'm wondering if I could go back in and fix the added device id I had written into those 2 kext files, and try to somehow have 1 monitor powered by the card and 1 powered by the onboard.

Update. Went to Microcenter and picked up a GA GeForce 210 1GB card for $9 after rebate (that was a welcome surprise, keeping my budget in check).

Installed the card and was then able to bypass the boot issue by making some Bios changes (Disabling onboard). Successfully got to the Desktop with the card. Boot was fast too. About 15 seconds as opposed to 1 minute and a half with internal graphics.

Resolution was stuck and nothing was recognized in System Info as before. Followed the directions on the following site pertaining to editing the string with 0sx86 tools and still had nothing:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...r3-working/page__pid__1735080__mode__threaded

Then I found this video which worked beautifully:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2B5YzEe2jc

Installed NVEnabler and rebooted. Had recognition in System Info. Display names, full VRAM etc., full resolution. Translucent bars on Desktop, Screensaver animation. Great! Switched to HDMI from DVI. Works also. Plugged DVI back in. Rebooted with 2nd monitor connected to VGA...Nothing...HDMI...Nothing. Start researching a solution.

Find the suggestion to install the NVIDIA update 2.1.0 from TonyMacx86. First I delete edited string from earlier, then I update. Got some errors. Rebooted. Lost everything and back at fixed resolution with nothing recognized. Looked in the back-up folder created by NVIDIA update and placed everything on the desktop for Kextbeast. Fixed permissions and rebooted.

Well, I'm good again, but I still cannot get that 2nd monitor. I've read here and there that the card can only do two digital or two analog and not mixed, then I'll read that VGA works fine with either HDMI or DVI.

I have GraphicsEnabler=Yes and my boot flags are arch=i386 npci=0x2000 and PCIRootUID=1 from before when I was messing about with the HD3000. I believe I need the GraphicsEnabler=Yes but is there a chance any of these old boot flags could be causing a conflict. I'm so close...:crazy:

If all else fails, at this point I'm wondering if I could go back in and fix the added device id I had written into those 2 kext files, and try to somehow have 1 monitor powered by the card and 1 powered by the onboard.

intromission

No - Not since 10.6.0 has VGA worked - Apple is all digital - if it works its by black magic!!!!

This is a very interesting site on continuation of the discussing on Device ID and the values use to enable ports on the HD gfx.
http://blog.stuffedcow.net/2012/07/intel-hd4000-qeci-acceleration/

Also if you I think that the hardware ( LCD's) need to be powered / connected on at Boot.

With my 10.8 I had BIOS issues regarding the internal settings for video and ram for it - settled to either 64 or 96 megs ....on the ASUS - still cant get the DVi to work but the two on the 560 are great.

Also I think that Tony has added nVidia kexts to the MultiBeast installer - which could be helpful for the 210 card. Also he had an announcement on new nVidia drivers for 10.8.

Thank you totenkopf4,

For it now it seems I will be abandoning the HD3000 cause.

I've finally had success with the GeForce 210 by simply using the HDMI and VGA combination that was suggested somewhere in my travels on the web today. I could have sworn I had tried it but it seems to be working now (by black magic perhaps) and I have successfully rebooted with both screens numerous times. Is it normal for the primary display to be the only one showing the boot screen?

Now I just need to figure out a way to make either my VGA or HDMI adapter a little more narrow as it is a tight squeeze on the back panel of this card and I don't want to bend any pins or anything. I've removed the screws on the sides that meet but maybe I'll try sanding them down.

I noticed that it didn't seem to matter whether I had GraphicsEnabler=Yes or No. Guess I won't mess with what's working.

Thanks again sir! Cheers!

Thank you totenkopf4,

For it now it seems I will be abandoning the HD3000 cause.

I've finally had success with the GeForce 210 by simply using the HDMI and VGA combination that was suggested somewhere in my travels on the web today. I could have sworn I had tried it but it seems to be working now (by black magic perhaps) and I have successfully rebooted with both screens numerous times. Is it normal for the primary display to be the only one showing the boot screen?

Now I just need to figure out a way to make either my VGA or HDMI adapter a little more narrow as it is a tight squeeze on the back panel of this card and I don't want to bend any pins or anything. I've removed the screws on the sides that meet but maybe I'll try sanding them down.

I noticed that it didn't seem to matter whether I had GraphicsEnabler=Yes or No. Guess I won't mess with what's working.

Thanks again sir! Cheers!

intomission

Yes at boot you would only get one display working - of course you may get a blinking cursor on the #2 screen

Primary screen will arrive first then #2 ( within seconds ) its reccomended that you use the GraphicsEnable=Yes

Ok then good to know that its working.... enjoy!

P.S. Not long now for Game of Thrones season III. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back