Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus z170
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Internal
Hi All,
I'm looking for some anwers, I've been searching for answers for 2 days now but there is so much information everywhere. Some search results says it is possible where other search results says it's not possible. So I decided to register and try to find out what my options are.

I'm running osX Mojave on my dualboot installation created with CLOVER. My system specs are:
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

I would like to try the Final Cut PRO application by apple so that's why I created the 'Hackint0sh' installation. When I start the application it says that Final Cut PRO only works with hardware acceleration. Besides the fact that we need to install the nvidia webdrivers I found some forum posts where it says that hardware acceleration on Nvidia will not work at all on Mojave/Catalina even if you install the nivdia webdrivers.. Can someone confirm this? To get hardware acceleration I should be on osX High Sierra? If this is true I will having some Final Cut PRO compatibility is guess.

So, my big question is 'What are my options to get hardware acceleration on my GTX 1070' (iGPU is not an option when it comes to Final Cut PRO I Guess).

Thanks in advance
(Newbie)

Nvidia has stopped supporting macOS. They have no drivers for anything beyond High Sierra and likely never will.

No other options/workarounds? (Besides changing the GPU)

Just curious, where are the Nvidia Web Drivers for? What do they do, why do we install these drivers for? :)

What do they do, why do we install these drivers for?
Nvidia used to make them so that older 2010-12 Mac Pro owners could use an Nvidia card in their machines. Apple dropped support for Catalina for any MP older than the 2013 trash can. All 2013 and 2019 Mac Pros use AMD graphics only. Nvidia therefore has no incentive to spend any money paying people to write drivers for anything newer than High Sierra. I won't go into the relations between Apple and Nvidia. Let's just say there are none anymore. End of story.

See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-of-desktop-cards-with-native-support.283700/

Bottom line is: If you must have Nvidia graphics in Mojave or Catalina, get an older GTX 770 or 780. Support for those will probably end after Catalina with 10.16. Better to buy a supported AMD card like an RX 580 or 590. Vega 56 or 64 are also cards that will have longer support.

Last edited:
No other options/workarounds? (Besides changing the GPU)

Just curious, where are the Nvidia Web Drivers for? What do they do, why do we install these drivers for? :)

The only thing you can do is revert to High Sierra. There simply won't be any acceleration for your GTX 1070 in Mojave or Catalina.

The drivers allow the video card to work with macOS. It's what gets you acceleration.

If macOS is important to you, don't bother investing in an Nvidia card. It's a dead end.

Thanks! I did a revert to High Sierra and got it all working now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back