Contribute
Register

I'm about ready to give up on life. Pro Tools CPU throttling issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX 10.8.4
CPU
4.2Ghz i7
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm an artist/producer using Pro Tools 10. For pretty much as long as I can remember, my hackintosh has had a problem with Pro Tools CPU usage, it throttles back in forth constantly. Could be 20% one second then 80 the next. As a result, I have to run extremely light sessions or constantly deactivate tracks. Obviously, this complete negates the reason I built a hackintosh in the first place.

Of the course of a couple years I hired two different "experts" to try and fix it. We have switched multiple OS's (Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks). We have replaced the RAM, CPU, Graphics Card, and now finally the motherboard. After switching mobo's the CPU throttling issue went away. But after shutting down the computer one time and turning it back on, it's here to stay again. I have other friends with hackintoshes of very similar build that have all the same plugins as me, we installed off the same external, with no problems.

Also, this problem seems to be pretty exclusive to Pro Tools. The computer runs other programs like Adobe Premier just fine. Any suggestions whatsoever would be appreciated.

Hmm... What interface are you using? How much Ram on your system. I know it doesn't help, but I dont have these issues with my rig, running large 100+ track counts with lots of plugs. I noticed an i7 in your sig, not sure which chip (4790?). Plus, I left PT10 in the rear view a while ago and cruising on PT12.4 with yosemite.

Also, are you running PT in low latency monitoring?

Thanks for getting back Brado. I'm using a Profire 2626. This is my chip: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SZ0EOW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

It's the second CPU i've put in and the same problem has persisted throughout, I've replaced literally every piece of hardware at this point inside the computer, it's not highly unlikely it's hardware. I have 32GB of RAM, way more than I need, and that has also been replaced.

My friend has a hackintosh build that has different hardware obviously, but he uses the same interface, same iLok, same plug-ins, same OS, and has never had a CPU usage problem, low-latency or not. I have CPU throttling regardless of what mode I'm in, and it's even happening if I have just a couple tracks up with no plug-ins on them. I mean am I insane? I don't understand.

I also have this issue on an i7 cpu, 32 gigs of ram and cpu overload when doing simple playback no plugins. (and its only protools that has a problem, premiere is fine like you say). Something interesting is that I also had the 2626, but I have since upgraded and the problem persists. Maybe it has something to do with the 2626 driver, which is still installed on my computer... I am going to try to uninstall that, and if that doesn't work I guess I will try to update to sierra....
Do you have any updates on your problem jake?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back