Contribute
Register

IGPU shows 7Gb of VRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
@iLikeHackintosh,

MacOs will automatically use a Headless IGPU to supplement Metal compute and Open CL/GL when needed.
In your case it probably wont ...

There is no harm in doing what your doing but you are probably not getting the best use of the IGPU.

If it was more efficient to run the IGPU like you have it configured then don't you think Apple would have done it like that by default ?

Cheers
Jay

MacOs will automatically use a Headless IGPU to supplement Metal compute and Open CL/GL when needed.
In your case it probably wont ...

Wrong assumption that it wouldn't’. Additionally I can use IGPU for computing on various app when I especially want to use it.

Exactly, may have but can work without issues which cause whatever damage or malfunctioning issues etc. If IGPU is the only GPU available it is already selectablle or selected on apps as GPU. So I dont see what kind harm can come from this if it is available on case of second GPU installed? I can use it for “parallel computing” actually to render/convert multiple videos simultaneously.

Can you show this multi GPU use by rendering multiple videos at the same time. I know you can render videos with some apps using multiple GPUs in compute mode but rendering multiple videos and assigning which GPU to use for each doesn’t sound familiar.

Can you show this multi GPU use by rendering multiple videos at the same time. I know you can render videos with some apps using multiple GPUs in compute mode but rendering multiple videos and assigning which GPU to use for each doesn’t sound familiar.

Quite a simple example, using AMD GPU for Final Cut Pro and IGPU for video conversion on the same tame with some another app.

Quite a simple example, using AMD GPU for Final Cut Pro and IGPU for video conversion on the same tame with some another app.

@iLikeHackintosh,

Properly configured a headless IGPU would do that automatically, many MacOS video encoder software packages (EG: VideoProc) use the MacOS VideoToolBox framework for encode which is optimised to use the IGPU for H264 and H265 encoding.

I do understand that you want to be able to select the IGPU manually, but in most cases it's not necessary.

Cheers
Jay

@pastrychef, @Gigamaxx & @jaymonkey, thank you all for your thoughts.

This is really interesting why it shows 7GB of memory on Intel IGPU.

I attached screenshot of IOREG.

.View attachment 440379

Changing BIOS settings doesn't affect IGPU memory size at all, it stays 7GB.

I had setting
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 512M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem: MAX
  • Aperture Size: 256M
Changed to:

• DVMT Pre-Allocated: 32M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem: 128M
  • Aperture Size: 128M
macOS crashes at boot, panic.

Changed to:
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 256M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem: 256M
  • Aperture Size: 256M
Boots up, but still 7GB IGPU memory..

Changed to:
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem: 128M
  • Aperture Size: 128M
Boots up slowly, but IGPU disappears, not available anymore

Changed to:
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 1024M
  • Aperture Size: 2048M
macOS crashes at boot, panic.

Changed to:
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 512M
  • Aperture Size: 102488M
Boots up, but still 7GB IGPU memory..

Wiil try Ubuntu live USB soon.

Edit: As I mentioned above, this is Z390 Designare + Intel Core i9-9900K + Radeon VII comp.
There is neither VRAM,totalMB nor VRAM,totalsize property on the IGPU. Somewhere else there is Dynamic max 1536G, from Apple report. If the hardware monitor reads these properties for total VRAM it must make up a number if none of them exist. If there is only 8G or RAM, allocation of 7G for VRAM makes the system unusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back