Contribute
Register

iGPU (headless mode) kernel panic - z390 / 9900K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
IDs you have posted, do they make sure that you are using i9 9900k because I keep getting i7 in my info.

I think I've resolved this one.....

iGPU does not work with Radeon VII. After reading in various forums, in Mojave 10.14.5, with Radeon VII, you need to disable iGPU and set SMBIOS 11.1 iMac Pro.

Cheers

Have the exact same issue and a Radeon VII. So I guess that’s the answer!

I solved this problem by removing WhateverGreen. Because, no matter what I tried with WhateverGreen didn't work at all (I tried versions 1.2.8 and 1.2.9). Supposedly it should even work without any clover configuration with newest WhateverGreen, but no chance. I tried adding Device Properties like AAPL,ig-platform-id etc... all kinds of combinations but it always resulted in black screen just before login screen comes up (I suspect it was a kernel panic because I couldn't even ssh into the machine after that, only a hard reset worked).

Finally the solution was to completely remove WhateverGreen and use the Clover "Inject Intel" method.
  1. SMBIOS iMac 19,1
  2. Enable "Graphics -> Inject Intel" (Optionally for ATI cards, I also enable Inject ATI and set FB Name to Orinoco for RX580)
  3. Set "Graphics -> ig-platform-id = 0x3E980003"
  4. Add "Devices -> Properties -> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) -> device-id = 983E0000
  5. Add patches to "ACPI" -> "Change GFX0 to IGPU" and "Change HECI to IMEI"
Now my iGPU works in headless mode and RX580 is recognized although not with all ports, but I'm ok with HDMI for now.

My hardware is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU: i9 9900k
GFX: Sapphire Nitro+ RX580

I have the same setup, but am running the Radeon VII. I'm going to try this out, but is there anything to the statement that chbrault made earlier regarding an incompatibility between the VII and iGPU?

Hello @chbrault!

Faced with the same problem but under OpenCore (0.5.9/0.6.0).
My config:

- Core i9-9900K
- Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE
- Radeon VEGA64
- RAM 32GB
- DVMT - 64MB

Unfortunately, there is no option InjectIntel in the OpenCore. So I can't try without WhateverGreen.
Manual renaming GFX0 -> IGPU, PEGP -> GFX0, HECI -> IMEI changes nothing.
Setting DVMT to 32MB allows to boot, I can see Intel 630 PCI device, but VDA/IQS decoding is not supported :( in this case.
If someone has a successful experience with a headless configuration with OpenCore, please share it.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
I solved this problem by removing WhateverGreen. Because, no matter what I tried with WhateverGreen didn't work at all (I tried versions 1.2.8 and 1.2.9). Supposedly it should even work without any clover configuration with newest WhateverGreen, but no chance. I tried adding Device Properties like AAPL,ig-platform-id etc... all kinds of combinations but it always resulted in black screen just before login screen comes up (I suspect it was a kernel panic because I couldn't even ssh into the machine after that, only a hard reset worked).

Finally the solution was to completely remove WhateverGreen and use the Clover "Inject Intel" method.
  1. SMBIOS iMac 19,1
  2. Enable "Graphics -> Inject Intel" (Optionally for ATI cards, I also enable Inject ATI and set FB Name to Orinoco for RX580)
  3. Set "Graphics -> ig-platform-id = 0x3E980003"
  4. Add "Devices -> Properties -> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) -> device-id = 983E0000
  5. Add patches to "ACPI" -> "Change GFX0 to IGPU" and "Change HECI to IMEI"
Now my iGPU works in headless mode and RX580 is recognized although not with all ports, but I'm ok with HDMI for now.

My hardware is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU: i9 9900k
GFX: Sapphire Nitro+ RX580
Just to say that I used this method to enable iGPU with a Radeon VII on a designare z390 and it worked flawlessly. Previousy i had panics at boot with iGPU enabled. Now I can use sidecar :)
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back