Contribute
Register

[IGPU] Failed to initialize graphics firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GigaByte Z390 UD Rev 1.1
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I finally got my 10.13.4 installed to, and boot from, nvme SSD and it takes a log time to boot. I enabled verbose mode and I get the above error with:

[IGPU] Hash date from ME never returned, status = 1, doing retry #50
[IGPU] Begin Gfx firmware load process
[IGPU] ForceWake Multithread = 0x30002
[IGPU] CONFIG0 (0xD00) = 0x80000000
[IGPU] GT_THREAD_STATUS = 0x400b0000
[IGPU] Doing retry #50

It does the above retry 50 times every time and then gets the below failed message every time.

[IGPU] Failed to start graphics engine
[IGPU] request to send Host -> Gfx firmware message when the firmware channel is not active!
[IGPU] Failed to send wait-for-idle request to firmware
busy extended ok[1], (60s, 102s)
IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lln 0, llk 1,
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

I am using my vega 64 only. nothing connected to my iGPU. I tried disabling iGPU in BIOS, but Dell, of course, has no such option.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention my iGPU shows up twice in the graphics section of system report.

Last edited:
I finally got my 10.13.4 installed to, and boot from, nvme SSD and it takes a log time to boot. I enabled verbose mode and I get the above error with:

[IGPU] Hash date from ME never returned, status = 1, doing retry #50
[IGPU] Begin Gfx firmware load process
[IGPU] ForceWake Multithread = 0x30002
[IGPU] CONFIG0 (0xD00) = 0x80000000
[IGPU] GT_THREAD_STATUS = 0x400b0000
[IGPU] Doing retry #50

It does the above retry 50 times every time and then gets the below failed message every time.

[IGPU] Failed to start graphics engine
[IGPU] request to send Host -> Gfx firmware message when the firmware channel is not active!
[IGPU] Failed to send wait-for-idle request to firmware
busy extended ok[1], (60s, 102s)
IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lln 0, llk 1,
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

I am using my vega 64 only. nothing connected to my iGPU. I tried disabling iGPU in BIOS, but Dell, of course, has no such option.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention my iGPU shows up twice in the graphics section of system report.

Add kernel flag -disablegfxfirmware (kernel flags go in config.plist/Boot/Arguments).

Add kernel flag -disablegfxfirmware (kernel flags go in config.plist/Boot/Arguments).

I finally figured it out. My boot times are 15 seconds. Down from 90 seconds.

However, I still get two UHD 630 integrated graphics listed.

Should I have installed the Intel kext in MultiBeast? I left them out because I didn't plan on using it.

But it seems to be working. I didn't know which audio file I needed, so I just used my old USB sound card and it works driver free. But my games are horribly slow. I fired up Cities: Skylines and loaded a medium sized modless city for a test and I got only 30fps, instead of 50 fps from windows. Not that I expect 50 from OSX, but at least 40. Plus my city was lagging. My x3 speed was 12 seconds which should be 3 seconds at start of game. Even x1 speed is 9-seconds, so it wasn't even running normal speed. Windows get 6 seconds on x3 sped which is the same as x2, which is normal for my large city size.

But at least I got my games running amnd Steam installed. Now to work on the rest.

Thanks for your help
-=Mark=-

I finally figured it out. My boot times are 15 seconds. Down from 90 seconds.

However, I still get two UHD 630 integrated graphics listed.

Should I have installed the Intel kext in MultiBeast? I left them out because I didn't plan on using it.

But it seems to be working. I didn't know which audio file I needed, so I just used my old USB sound card and it works driver free. But my games are horribly slow. I fired up Cities: Skylines and loaded a medium sized modless city for a test and I got only 30fps, instead of 50 fps from windows. Not that I expect 50 from OSX, but at least 40. Plus my city was lagging. My x3 speed was 12 seconds which should be 3 seconds at start of game. Even x1 speed is 9-seconds, so it wasn't even running normal speed. Windows get 6 seconds on x3 sped which is the same as x2, which is normal for my large city size.

But at least I got my games running amnd Steam installed. Now to work on the rest.

Thanks for your help
-=Mark=-

How did you get it sorted ?

How did you get it sorted ?

Oops, I forgot to mention I just recreated the USB installer with the newer 10.13.4 and the old 8.2 unibeast and it just worked.

(Edit, I did have to do the PMHeart USB patch as well to the installer)

There's a new Unibeast for 10.13.4 so it may work as well. I used the old multibeast as well. 10.2

I haven't played with it much yet. Been too busy with other things lately.

We’re you able to fix the issue? Adding the boot-arg didn’t fix it for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back