Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> If I Change Processor (but still same iMac Generation), do I need to change SMBIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390UD
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

I currently have a running Hackintosh based upon i5-8400 using iMac19,1 SMBIOS. Everything is running perfect, the iServices like iCloud, Handoff, Airdrop, Appstore, as well as working audio production machine.

However, I would like to upgrade to i7-9700 or even i9-9900 but my question is about the SMBIOS; do I need to change the SMBIOS?
My concern is as follow:
1. Some paid apps that I use is linked to the SMBIOS and therefore changing it will make my paid apps unusable.
2. When I saw in everymac.com, the i5-8xxx and i9-9xxxK is under iMAc19,1 SMBIOS. Does this means that, I can upgrade the processor safely without changing my SMBIOS?
3. Lastly, I don't see any i7-9xxx iMac version in everymac.com. Does this means that, if I built a system using i7-9xxx it will not work? Below screenshot I took from everymac.com under iMac.
1615627469871.png

Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.

No, it's the same hardware architecture, the same SMBIOS will do. The "K" suffix is irrelevant for choosing a SMBIOS. And it doesn't matter either if Apple has used a given CPU model, as long as there are real Macs with processors of the same generation and segment.

Hi all,

I currently have a running Hackintosh based upon i5-8400 using iMac19,1 SMBIOS. Everything is running perfect, the iServices like iCloud, Handoff, Airdrop, Appstore, as well as working audio production machine.

However, I would like to upgrade to i7-9700 or even i9-9900 but my question is about the SMBIOS; do I need to change the SMBIOS?
My concern is as follows:

1. Some paid apps that I use is linked to the SMBIOS and therefore changing it will make my paid apps unusable.
2. When I saw in everymac.com, the i5-8xxx and i9-9xxxK is under iMAc19,1 SMBIOS. Does this means that, I can upgrade the processor safely without changing my SMBIOS?
3. Lastly, I don't see any i7-9xxx iMac version in everymac.com. Does this means that, if I built a system using i7-9xxx it will not work? Below screenshot I took from everymac.com under iMac.

View attachment 512118

Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.
Not necessary. Just use the same SMBIOS should work.

You are right in worrying that changing the SMBIOS may cause problems with you paid apps. They may consider that you have switched to another machine and perhaps require you to reactivate, which can be quite troublesome.

I am using a i7 9700KF myself and it works great with MacOS Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina. I am using the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS as my CPU does not have integrated graphics.

Thanks @etorix and @Jamesbond007 for the advise.
I will now go ahead with the upgrades since I can use the same SMBIOS.
Some paid apps are also state non-transferrable in their T&C and locked into one SMBIOS; had this experience once, with my T440, switching from MBA to MBP SMBIOS make one app not working and had to purchase another license). Thus a bit cautious with changing SMBIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back