Contribute
Register

Idling for 10 minutes causes Sierra to lag/freeze for a couple of minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I had this problem on High Sierra and fixed it with this terminal command:

sudo rm /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist"

This is not a true solution. It's avoiding the problem. Mediaanalysisd is a machine learning system process that scans your photos and adds what it learns from Apple big data about said pics to your spotlight, Photos app, Siri etc etc. No plist, no sweet 'oh my spotlight gets me when I search for Sarah's dog'. Same for Siri too, which needs this process to understand images past the file size.

The process is mainly executed as GPGPU code on your graphics card, so if you're using non-Apple EFI (in your video card), and don't have a perfect DSDT it's possible to get the lag/console issues because the amount of GPU power you have at your disposal is miscalculated and the GPU still has to try to provide 60fps to the display. Hell even if you do if there isn't a direct equivalent card it could be likely.

Most commonly it seems to be happening to Nvidia GPUs because the soft switcher makes it quite easy to have a 650ti be pre-calculated to perform like a 660ti, especially with confusing names and DevIDs focused on 'getting it to work' and not 'getting it to imitate perfectly'.

"I had this problem on High Sierra and fixed it with this terminal command:

sudo rm /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist"

This is not a true solution. It's avoiding the problem. Mediaanalysisd is a machine learning system process that scans your photos and adds what it learns from Apple big data about said pics to your spotlight, Photos app, Siri etc etc. No plist, no sweet 'oh my spotlight gets me when I search for Sarah's dog'. Same for Siri too, which needs this process to understand images past the file size.

Agree, not ideal. Like to find a better answer but not sure where the issue is. I'm using an AMD RX580. I didn't notice the problem on past versions of High Sierra. So, guessing something in a recent update triggered it.

Hi i have the same problem and fixit by starting the system in safe mode (the app don't freeze my system in a constant loop 3second work+ 10 second freeze), let the app work and update my library (400+ pics and videos) ones it finish, restart, boot in normal mode, and the app works without any problem, even take some pics with my iPhone and upload some others into the hack with my DSRL and all work ok and sync up.

Will give that a shot, thanks!

I had that problem with the photos app, is rare that in safe mode the app works ok and all processor works ok.

I download all my photos in safe mode. My system still isn't working right. Following a reboot, with the RX580, it locks up after the Photos app has been running for a few minutes. Activity Monitor still reports high CPU usage.

Here's what's strange...
I have an RX560 card. If I replace the 580 with the 560, things seem to be okay. Mediaanalysisd runs after reboot but doesn't use nearly the same resources. The system doesn't lock up or freeze. So something with my 580 is causing problems, just not sure what.

you have injected the rx580? or the system detected OTB??

Thanks for the reply. I injected AMD but haven’t done anything specific for the 580

Update:
shuhung suggested a dummy kext which seems to be helping.

Was doing some experimenting and noticed when I used the RX560, photos app seemed more stable but when I switched it for the RX580 it kept freezing and the Photoanalysis activity was running very high CPU%. Appears to be related to the IOGVACodec which is not native to the 560 but is on the 580.

After the kext, not seeing Photoanalysis issues and Photos App running better.

Last edited:
and if you didn't injected at all? im in high Sierra 10.13.4 and the rx 470 is detected OTB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back